What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major, 1885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak, Georg Solti, Wiener Philharmoniker

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 18, 2024, 09:18:57 AM@Mandryka Are these the stands that you are trying to get ahold of?

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/526/index.html

PD

Yes, those. A friend of mine in Switzerland wanted to sell me a pair, but the import duty into the UK made it prohibitive. There was one pair on eBay, but at the last minute he decided to keep them for himself. 

Nice article that! I was happy to learn that I have speaker cabinets with assymetrical insides! 

The cabinet is made from 22mm medium-density fiberboard, then a "high-density lining" is poured in and allowed to set asymmetrically so that the internal surfaces are not parallel. This both damps the cabinet walls and spreads out the air-space resonances in frequency.

They're so heavy I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the lining is concrete!

The cat litter is indeed unscented. And thanks for the complement about the fireplace and shelves. Green is good - lucky because the leprechauns like it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on April 18, 2024, 09:37:45 AMYes, those. A friend of mine in Switzerland wanted to sell me a pair, but the import duty into the UK made it prohibitive. There was one pair on eBay, but at the last minute he decided to keep them for himself. 

Nice article that! I was happy to learn that I have speaker cabinets with assymetrical insides! 

The cabinet is made from 22mm medium-density fiberboard, then a "high-density lining" is poured in and allowed to set asymmetrically so that the internal surfaces are not parallel. This both damps the cabinet walls and spreads out the air-space resonances in frequency.

They're so heavy I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the lining is concrete!

The cat litter is indeed unscented. And thanks for the complement about the fireplace and shelves. Green is good - lucky because the leprechauns like it.
I saw that in the article (about the lining)!  A pop of color is always a good thing too.  Is there a particular model number that you know of re the stands?  I do like the fluting on them and the nice-looking bases.  And, no, I'm not trying to buy them out from under you!  ;)

Was also interested to see that AE is a British company, but their address is listed as being in Indiana.  Were/are they designed by British engineers but are now based in the US?  Or did someone buy them out?  Just curious.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Claude Debussy Sonates & Trios

Lisztianwagner

Ludwig van Beethoven
6 Lieder Op.48
An die ferne Geliebte, Op.98

Matthias Goerne (baritone), Jan Lisiecki (piano)

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

foxandpeng

Ivo Jirásek
Symphony - 'Matka Naděje' or 'Mother Hope'
Zdeněk Košler
Czech Philharmonic
Supraphon

Left field discovery while looking for Novak's, 'The Storm' on Spotify (which doesn't seem to be available for streaming).

Can't find much on Jirásek at all, on t'internet. I like this symphony very much, however. Atmospheric, dramatic, thoughtful, punctuated with contemplative passages that build and drop tension, loud and strident brass and percussion... niiiice....
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Todd

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Linz

César Franck Orchestral Works, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Voices, Royal Scottish National Orchestra & Jean-Luc Tingaud 

AnotherSpin

foxandpeng

Dmitri Shostakovich
Symphony 9
Vasily Petrenko
RLPO
Via YouTube

Hm. DSCH. A little more rambunctious than I planned to be, this evening. He is always remarkable, however.

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Malcolm Williamson: Symphony No.1 'Elevamini':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2024, 12:49:52 PMMalcolm Williamson: Symphony No.1 'Elevamini':

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2024, 12:49:52 PMMalcolm Williamson: Symphony No.1 'Elevamini':

Such fine music.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

Linz

Bruckner Pange Lingua, Philipp von Steinaecker, Musica Saeculorum

Symphonic Addict

Boulanger: Psalm 130 'Du fond de l'abîme'

Extraordinary piece.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

The Warner Andsnes set landed today. Decided to start in media res with a CD I've never heard (Rachmaninov) and a CD I have heard (Schubert).

CDs 23 and 24 of

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk