What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on April 20, 2024, 03:28:07 AMHe was very good at op 106 I think. My own favourite is this live one from Ludwigsburg on 12 December 1953

https://open.spotify.com/track/62ssKnDLVPw9gmsfwBsN41?si=e9e46b28e62d42fa

I was listening recording from 1953 yesterday (post #109289 in this thread). Do you know his live recording from 1959 (#109318)?

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 20, 2024, 04:26:41 AMI was listening recording from 1953 yesterday (post #109289 in this thread). Do you know his live recording from 1959 (#109318)?

I can't recall if I do or not actually.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

AnotherSpin

Mandryka

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 20, 2024, 04:38:30 AMIt is on streaming: https://open.qobuz.com/album/hi6s4u87rw1xc

There is also 1956 live rec from Carnegie Hall: https://open.qobuz.com/album/rfb2fnobtneda

I just came back to say I'd found this, and on the basis of the first movement,  I think it is excellent. It says Beethovenhalle, Bonn, 24 September 1959.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxfq7nJEBcY&t=7s&ab_channel=LeonardoPolyphoniae

Harry

Clara Schumann.
Piano Trio in G minor Op 17 (1846).

Fanny Mendelssohn.
Piano Trio in D minor Op 11 (1846/7).
String Quartet in E flat major (1834).

See for more details back cover.
The Nash Ensemble.

Masterpieces that give the lie to the argument often heard at the time, that women were incapable of independent creative activity, and to add, reference interpretations, and SOTA sound. Seldom do I hear such convincing performances, were everything drifts seamlessly into perfection. Recommended!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

Op. 106. Same 1952 studio recording as in mono complete set, but with different mastering.

Edit: this is a 1959 live recording in Bonn.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 20, 2024, 03:28:07 AMHe [Backhaus] was very good at op 106 I think. My own favourite is this live one from Ludwigsburg on 12 December 1953

https://open.spotify.com/track/62ssKnDLVPw9gmsfwBsN41?si=e9e46b28e62d42fa

Of the four existing recordings (one studio and three live which are Carnegie hall, Ludwigsburg and Beethovenhalle respectively) my favorite is also the one from Ludwigsburg 1953 (it was you who attracted my attention to it), but the one from Beethovenhalle 1959 is close behind.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 20, 2024, 04:46:45 AMOp. 106. Same 1952 studio recording as in mono complete set, but with different mastering.

Do you think it is remastered?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

AnotherSpin

Quote from: prémont on April 20, 2024, 04:54:21 AMDo you think it is remastered?

Qobuz has no information on this release, and I haven't found anything elsewhere. Nevertheless, the sound is noticeably different (better, imo) in comparison with versions which were included for both mono and stereo sets.

Edit: this is live recording from Beethovenhaus, Bonn, 1959.

AnotherSpin

DavidW

AnotherSpin

Mandryka

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 19, 2024, 11:19:12 AMArnold Schönberg
String Quartet No.2

Schoenberg Quartet

I've been listening to a lot of the third quartet recently, op 30. I find their recording of it particularly congenial.

prémont

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 20, 2024, 05:05:41 AMQobuz has no information on this release, and I haven't found anything elsewhere. Nevertheless, the sound is noticeably different (better, imo) in comparison with versions which were included for both mono and stereo sets.

Edit: this is live recording from Beethovenhaus, Bonn, 1959.

I'm a bit confused. But as I understand it you say that the Document release vol.8 containing op. 106 is the live recording from Beethovenhalle (not Beethovenhaus) and not the studio recording?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Another installment of the Andsnes/Bostridge Schubert series

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AnotherSpin

Quote from: prémont on April 20, 2024, 07:04:57 AMI'm a bit confused. But as I understand it you say that the Document release vol.8 containing op. 106 is the live recording from Beethovenhalle (not Beethovenhaus) and not the studio recording?

Yeah, that's correct. Since Document released the whole set, I initially thought it was a reissue of the stereo set. I thought so when I started listening to opus 106 and wrote a post in the thread. But then my doubts crept in, and when the applause was heard at the end, everything fell into place, it was live recording from 1959 even though it was not mentioned in Qobuz.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 19, 2024, 03:09:49 PMThe arrangement for string orchestra of the String Quintet didn't convince much, above all the first two movements. It's the Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola, two horns and string orchestra the main dish here. A work that is by turns heartfelt and restrained proper of his late period. A great piece.

FWIW, I also found the string orchestra version of the quintet to be a big let down compared to the original.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

I think it was Cato who mentioned the original version of Rachmaninoff's 4th Piano Concerto, recorded by Ghindin with Ashkenazy conducting the Helsinki Philharmonic.

I like it, although I can't say I am familiar with any version of the 4th concerto, sufficiently to compare. Consulting Wikipedia, it seems like the original version as only been published relatively recently and is also available in recordings by Sudbin and Alain Lefèvre. Maybe I'll listen to the final version, perhaps Hough, perhaps one of the big guns like Ashkenazy on piano.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Martinů - continuing listening to my collection with the recordings below:

Orchestral Works, Piano Concertos and Solo Piano x 3 - the latter w/ Paul Kaspar on piano; there is some competition, i.e. Giorgio Koukl on Naxos x 7 volumes and Emil Leichner on Supraphon x 3 disc box - reviews attached of all recordings for those interested.  Dave

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 20, 2024, 07:34:20 AMI think it was Cato who mentioned the original version of Rachmaninoff's 4th Piano Concerto, recorded by Ghindin with Ashkenazy conducting the Helsinki Philharmonic.

I like it, although I can't say I am familiar with any version of the 4th concerto, sufficiently to compare. Consulting Wikipedia, it seems like the original version as only been published relatively recently and is also available in recordings by Sudbin and Alain Lefèvre. Maybe I'll listen to the final version, perhaps Hough, perhaps one of the big guns like Ashkenazy on piano.

I figured the time was ripe to listen to the final version (the one almost always recorded) and chose Hough/Litton. I recall the set being hyped as sort of non-bombastic, which seems right. In any case, I was left feeling the Ghindin recording was more effective. I can't say I have a good enough mental map of the music to recognize where cuts or significant revisions were made, and I don't know if my preference fro Ghindin is due to the version, or the performance. Even though the forth concerto deviates from Rachmaninoff's stereotypical dark romanticism, it still has the big tunes, and blazing passage work. My taste tends to screw towards the neoclassical in 20th century music.