What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, SonicMan46 (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Spotted Horses

After listening to Rachmaninoff PC 4, I was reminded of Medtner PC 2. Listened to the Demidenko recording on Hyperion

Remarkably intense performance. There is something to the canard, Medtner is like Rachmaninoff without the inevitable "big tune." :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Linz

Johann Stamitz Flute Concerto in G major, Concerto for clarinet, bassoon & orchestra in B flat major and  Concerto for 2 flutes & string orchestra in G major, Austrian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Eugen Duvier

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 09:27:08 AMHow did you like that CD, Linz?

Hey PD - not Linz but I just listened to the Hindemith cello works this morning w/ David Geringas - the Cello Concerto, Op. 3 is an early composition (1916), the second recording is Kammermusik No. 3, Op. 36/2 from 1925 (cello + 10 instruments, so smaller scale) and the final recording is the Cello Concerto from 1940 - all are play well by the cellist and orchestra; the works are tonal and lyrical - attached are quite positive reviews that might be of interest; also available on Spotify for a preview, if you use the service?  Dave

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major, 1885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak, Wiliam Steinberg, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 22, 2024, 11:21:26 AMHey PD - not Linz but I just listened to the Hindemith cello works this morning w/ David Geringas - the Cello Concerto, Op. 3 is an early composition (1916), the second recording is Kammermusik No. 3, Op. 36/2 from 1925 (cello + 10 instruments, so smaller scale) and the final recording is the Cello Concerto from 1940 - all are play well by the cellist and orchestra; the works are tonal and lyrical - attached are quite positive reviews that might be of interest; also available on Spotify for a preview, if you use the service?  Dave
Thanks!  :) I have some recordings of cello pieces by Hindemith; I should revisit them (and also make a mental note of what I own and don't own).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 09:34:43 AMInteresting!  Is it possibly expired?  Just a thought.

PD

No, it is quite new, having been activated only a month ago, and it functions flawlessly in all other contexts.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 01:05:27 PMNo, it is quite new, having been activated only a month ago, and it functions flawlessly in all other contexts.
Hmmm...any chance that you might have typed in a wrong number?  Or code on the back of the card?

In any event, good luck getting it sorted!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 01:14:27 PMHmmm...any chance that you might have typed in a wrong number?  Or code on the back of the card?

No, I don't usually make typos, and in this instance, I repeated the information with the same result. I have to contact my bank.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 01:14:27 PMIn any event, good luck getting it sorted!

PD

Thanks.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Linz

Mozart Piano Concerto No 18 K 456 in B flat major, K 456 and Piano Concerto No 19 in F major, K 459, Andreas Staier, Concerto Koln

brewski

Last week, a fascinating concert with conductor Thomas Søndergård (incoming music director of the Minnesota Orchestra) and countertenor Andrew Watts making their debuts with the New York Philharmonic, and the Brooklyn Youth Chorus.

Lili Boulanger: D'un matin de printemps (Of a Spring Morning) (1918)
Olga Neuwirth: Keyframes for a Hippogriff — Musical Calligrams in memoriam Hester Diamond, for Countertenor, Children's Choir, and Orchestra (2021)
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5 (1944)

The big draw was the recent work by Neuwirth, a sprawling half-hour teeming with unusual resonances (e.g., two electronic keyboards, electric guitar, and exotic percussion) and texts from almost a dozen sources, as a comment "...against the white noise of information, in which technology already seems to have overtaken human interaction." On first hearing, I thought it was challenging (like most of her music), but well worth hearing again. Comments in print and from friends were all over the map.

Søndergård did the Boulanger in 2022, at his first Minnesota Orchestra concert after he was appointed music director, when he paired it with Ravel's Mother Goose and Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring. It was her final piece, and I'm glad he's giving it some exposure.

And the Prokofiev is a favorite, which I hadn't heard live in years.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: prémont on April 22, 2024, 01:20:04 PMNo, I don't usually make typos, and in this instance, I repeated the information with the same result. I have to contact my bank.

Sometimes a fraud-protection algorithm run by my credit card company will decide a purchase is atypical of me and block it. Sometimes there is a text message asking me to confirm a transaction is valid. Oddly, I never got any warning when there actually was a fraudulent transaction on my card.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 22, 2024, 02:24:06 PMSometimes a fraud-protection algorithm run by my credit card company will decide a purchase is atypical of me and block it. Sometimes there is a text message asking me to confirm a transaction is valid. Oddly, I never got any warning when there actually was a fraudulent transaction on my card.

Almost always put in an international order this will happen to me.  After I confirm it, I'll have to redo the checkout as the card denied first time.  I prefer the system where it just asks for a two factor authentication instead of immediately rejecting it.  But eh it is a small inconvenience to pay to avoid fraud.

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
Walk to the Paradise Garden
North Country Sketches
In a Summer Garden
Dance Rhapsody 1
Dance Rhapsody 2
Bournemouth SO - Richard Hickox

Kind of a drowsy program, but beautiful!
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Braunfels: Tag- und Nachtstücke, for piano and orchestra

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: VonStupp on April 22, 2024, 03:10:24 PMFrederick Delius
Walk to the Paradise Garden
North Country Sketches
In a Summer Garden
Dance Rhapsody 1
Dance Rhapsody 2
Bournemouth SO - Richard Hickox

Kind of a drowsy program, but beautiful!
VS

A remarkable disc with an interesting assortment of works.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Paul Dessau's two symphonies

Yet another seldom mentioned composer whose fame apparently lies more on his orchestration of a Mozart's string quintet. I must say that these two symphonies exceeded my expectations, above all the first one in one movement. From the very emphatic opening one is hooked and the subsequent material (including some counterpoint) makes it very cohesive. The 2nd Symphony sounds a little more modernist, but it still is rather tonal.

Two appealing discoveries today.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

This must be the longest violin sonata ever written (unless Feldman had written something like Violin and Piano): 58:36 min.

It does have its longueurs, but there are moments where it sounds more focused and/or with memorable material, e.g. the 2nd movement (fantastic music there) and part of the 4th movement.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Contents;
H 649/Wq 174 in C major
H 651/Wq 176 in D major
H 652/Wq 177 in e minor
H 657/Wq 182/1 in G major
H 659/Wq 182/3 in C major
H 660/Wq 182/4 in A major
H 661/Wqb182/5 in b minor

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

steve ridgway