What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, spooky and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Rodrigo: Concierto como un divertimento, for cello and orchestra

Some works by Rodrigo possess certain naivety that makes the music sound light and unpretentious. This is a charming work with some nice orchestration.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

From the Warner Andsnes box

Two hours of Schumann for three...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Goldmark: Piano Quintet No. 1 in B-flat major

A stellar piece with its four movements being of high quality. There's some engrossing passages in the 1st movement that denote tension, conflict, this is not a completely smiling movement in the joyful key of B-flat major, and the expressivity the tender slow movement provides is remarkable for the contrast perceived.

A pity this composer is chiefly known for his Rustic Wedding Symphony and Violin Concerto No. 1 (BTW, I have never seen a recording of his 2nd VC, does it exist?). His chamber music, including these two piano quintets, show a different and expert side of his facet as a composer.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

Que

A much better Mouton recording...  :D

ritter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 24, 2024, 01:04:03 PMAre posts being deleted?  I posted twice a link to a google drive folder and it is no longer visible?
You have two personal messages in your inbox regarding this. Please check them.

Best,

Madiel

Ballets Russes, 1924 season (or a fair bit of it anyway).

Poulenc: Les Biches
Auric: Les Fâcheux
Mussorgksy: Night on Bare Mountain
Milhaud: Le Train Bleu

It's funny how Diaghilev got a hold of 3 different members of "Les Six" all at the same time. And with results that are not dissimilar on a first listen to be honest. The neoclassical leanings are evident. Though I'd probably rate Poulenc as the most poised, and Milhaud as the one that gets pretty bombastic.

Someone really stuffed up the track listing on CD 19 of this box, the numbering jumps back 7 spots, though I'm reasonably confident the rest of the information is right.

The 1925 season is not represented at all unfortunately. As far as I can find, the 3 full new ballets haven't been recorded (and most of the pastiches of old music from throughout Ballets Russes history don't seem to have been done in that format).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 24, 2024, 12:02:09 PMVaughan Williams' "A Sea Symphony" with Previn, Harper, Shirley-Quirk and forces on RCA.

PD

Good to see this. Not too many GMG mentions of the superb Previn RVW cycle in recent times.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Irons on April 24, 2024, 11:11:21 PMGood to see this. Not too many GMG mentions of the superb Previn RVW cycle in recent times.

Superb indeed, with a slight avoidance issue in regards of vocals in the first Symphony, really not my thing, but the rest is still the best cycle of VW for me, meaning also it is the only set I have, and feel no need to buy other versions.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on April 25, 2024, 12:21:42 AMSuperb indeed, with a slight avoidance issue in regards of vocals in the first Symphony, really not my thing, but the rest is still the best cycle of VW for me, meaning also it is the only set I have, and feel no need to buy other versions.
Yes, it's a great set Harry.

TD
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 BBC SO, Andrew Davis
I agree with the view that this is a rather underrated set.
Of course Andrew Davis re-recorded the 7th and 9th symphonies (+ Job) for Chandos (with the Bergen SO). Andrew Davis was scheduled to conduct at the Proms this year - the concert will now be a tribute to Sir Andrew. Tonight the BBC (Radio 3) are broadcasting his last Prom concert featuring VW Symphony No.4 and Tippett Symphony No.4:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 12:57:57 AMYes, it's a great set Harry.

TD
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 BBC SO, Andrew Davis
I agree with the view that this is a rather underrated set.
Of course Andrew Davis re-recorded the 7th and 9th symphonies (+ Job) for Chandos (with the Bergen SO). Andrew Davis was scheduled to conduct at the Proms this year - the concert will now be a tribute to Sir Andrew. Tonight the BBC (Radio 3) are broadcasting his last Prom concert featuring VW Symphony No.4 and Tippett Symphony No.4:

The BBC in radio and television is becoming a stranger in the Netherlands. After enjoying the Proms ever year, the Brits decided that it was time to take the channel away that broadcast the proms. That's BREXIT for you. :(  :(
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on April 25, 2024, 01:07:36 AMThe BBC in radio and television is becoming a stranger in the Netherlands. After enjoying the Proms ever year, the Brits decided that it was time to take the channel away that broadcast the proms. That's BREXIT for you. :(  :(
Another disastrous consequence of Brexit!  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Mellifluous, calm, nerve-soothing music.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 01:46:10 AMAnother disastrous consequence of Brexit!  ::)

We are told that opinions of Brexit in GB are changing, so maybe the way in foreseeable time can be paved for a BRENTRY?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Traverso

Mandryka

Van Kuijk Quartet at St Lukes Old Street, Mozart and Haydn. Slightly worried because I've never seen a good concert here, it's jinxed. I've got an aisle seat so I can make a quick exit if needs must. Average age of audience is 102. Someone's brought her great grandkids, one is playing with a filthy teddy.  Here we go.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

On youtube:
Alban Berg
Violin Concerto

Antje Weithass (violin)
Steven Sloane & Stavanger Symfoniorkester

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 25, 2024, 03:57:00 AMAverage age of audience is 102.

One is never too old to appreciate Mozart, on the other hand there may have been a lengthy queue at the gents?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Traverso

AnotherSpin