What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky, prémont and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Shostakovich: Symphony No.12 'The Year 1917'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Sibelius, Symphony No 4, Vanska, Minnesota

I'm a huge admirer of Sibelius, but the forth symphony doesn't work for me, and Vanska isn't helping.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 12:57:57 AMYes, it's a great set Harry.

TD
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 BBC SO, Andrew Davis
I agree with the view that this is a rather underrated set.
Of course Andrew Davis re-recorded the 7th and 9th symphonies (+ Job) for Chandos (with the Bergen SO). Andrew Davis was scheduled to conduct at the Proms this year - the concert will now be a tribute to Sir Andrew. Tonight the BBC (Radio 3) are broadcasting his last Prom concert featuring VW Symphony No.4 and Tippett Symphony No.4:

@vandermolen What time is it on?  I'll try and listen to it [Currently watching Nadal warm up vs. an American who is 16 years younger than him.  In Madrid.  Not an open seat in the arena.].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2024, 07:49:37 AM@vandermolen What time is it on?  I'll try and listen to it [Currently watching Nadal warm up vs. an American who is 16 years younger than him.  In Madrid.  Not an open seat in the arena.].

PD
7.30 PM (UK time)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z05s
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 07:53:56 AM7.30 PM (UK time)

Thanks!  I'll put a memo on my computer calendar to remind me.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 25, 2024, 07:19:58 AMSibelius, Symphony No 4, Vanska, Minnesota

I'm a huge admirer of Sibelius, but the forth symphony doesn't work for me, and Vanska isn't helping.

My favorites are Segerstam/Helsinki and Karajan.  Even if you don't like Karajan, he opened the door for me on the fourth!

DavidW

My favorite over the past few days:

Florestan's post reminded that I had not listened to the first in several years... and wow! it is way too great of a symphony to neglect for so long.

And I've been breaking in Pettersson's 5th with repeated listenings:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2024, 08:37:25 AMMy favorites are Segerstam/Helsinki and Karajan.  Even if you don't like Karajan, he opened the door for me on the fourth!

Haven't heard the Segerstam. You have to be more specific about Karajan, since he recorded it in 1953 (Philharmonia/EMI) 1966 (Berlin/DG) and 1976 (Berlin/EMI). Seems like he was due again in 1987, but it didn't happen. I love all of the Karjan/Sibelius, but even he couldn't make the work gel for me. Maybe will go back to Karajan's DG recording to revisit.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 25, 2024, 08:51:15 AMHaven't heard the Segerstam. You have to be more specific about Karajan, since he recorded it in 1953 (Philharmonia/EMI) 1966 (Berlin/DG) and 1976 (Berlin/EMI). Seems like he was due again in 1987, but it didn't happen. I love all of the Karjan/Sibelius, but even he couldn't make the work gel for me. Maybe will go back to Karajan's DG recording to revisit.

I didn't know!  Whichever this one is:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2024, 09:53:39 AMI didn't know!  Whichever this one is:

That's the 1960's series, and my introduction to Sibelius, except for the Jarvi/Gothenberg/BIS recording of the fifth, which was my "imprint" for that work (another great recording). I can't quite decide which series of Karajan/Sibelis recordings is my favorite. The EMI/Electrola recordings from the 70's benefit from more robust audio, but he didn't do the 7th with them.

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2024, 08:40:01 AMMy favorite over the past few days:

Florestan's
post reminded that I had not listened to the first in several years... and wow! it is way too great of a symphony to neglect for so long.

Oh yes!  And that recording is excellent: my favorite is the Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw performance and the drama-on-steroids final minutes!   8)

Speaking of Russian symphonies numbered with a "one," I had a little time this morning to revisit this:  Alexander Tcherepnin's Symphony #1

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 07:53:56 AM7.30 PM (UK time)

I quite enjoyed Vaughan Williams' fourth!  Listening now to some former coworkers talking about him with Andrew McGregor.  May "hang around" for the Tippett.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

Rachmaninov SymphonyNo. 1 in D minor, op.13 and Symphonic Dances, op.45, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, glad that I stuck around for the Tippett.  I've had a mixed relationship with his music from the start, so haven't gone back to listen again (or explored much further).  Quite an interesting symphony (with interesting effects such as the sound of breathing both at the beginning and end of it).  Would be nice for the BBC to release a CD of the concert.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

classicalgeek

Haven't had a lot of time for music lately!

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 9
Symphony no. 10
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

(on CD)

One of my favorite Shostakovich cycles, and the Ninth was superb. A little disappointed in the Tenth, though... it felt a bit... underpowered? Lacking that little something extra at the climaxes?
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

vandermolen

Bax: The Tale the Pine Trees Knew
Ulster Orchestra/Thomson

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 2 in C Minor, Transcription for Chamber Orchestra by Anthony Payne/Pinnock Royal Academy of Music Soloists Ensemble

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mahler10th

No idea why I can't find the right cover for this on Amazon, and I am too lazy to scan it, but it's this I'm listening to.  Anyway, the more I listen and learn about Brahms, the more of a bona fide musical genius he is unto me.  I was not so hot on Brahms for unknown reasons most of my days, he was just another 'big' Composer of his day.  My perpetual ignorance was slowly confounded by just how REALLY good he was, just an absoloute barrage of Talent. I think very much more of his works now - this performace by Kovacevich and Colin Davis with the LSO on magical form is just as good as it can get.