What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Marx: Frühlingssonate, for violin and piano

Gorgeous music, much more succinct than his 1st VS.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 25, 2024, 01:35:41 PMHaven't had a lot of time for music lately!

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 9
Symphony no. 10
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

(on CD)

Funny enough I just listened to the 11th in that set!

Symphonic Addict

Kudos to Ondine for making this recording available. The style of Väinö Raitio, based on the works on the disc, is something like Scriabin goes to Finland. Great music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

Daverz

Quote from: mahler10th on April 25, 2024, 04:20:15 PM

No idea why I can't find the right cover for this on Amazon, and I am too lazy to scan it, but it's this I'm listening to.  Anyway, the more I listen and learn about Brahms, the more of a bona fide musical genius he is unto me.  I was not so hot on Brahms for unknown reasons most of my days, he was just another 'big' Composer of his day.  My perpetual ignorance was slowly confounded by just how REALLY good he was, just an absoloute barrage of Talent. I think very much more of his works now - this performace by Kovacevich and Colin Davis with the LSO on magical form is just as good as it can get.

The cover on discogs is not too bad:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6060930-Brahms-Stephen-Bishop-Kovacevich-London-Symphony-Orchestra-Colin-Davis-Klavierkonzert-Piano-Concerto

Mapman

R. Schumann: Piano Sonata #3 (Concerto without orchestra)
Uhlig

Starting my (almost certainly slow) journey through Schumann's piano works. The first two movements were especially enjoyable; I like how a melody will begin before the previous one has ended.

C. Schumann: Pieces caractéristiques, Op. 5
Grützmann

And also going through Clara's piano works, starting with these from about the same time as Robert's Sonata. The 4th piece (Le ballet des revenants) was my favorite.

classicalgeek

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2024, 05:09:59 PMFunny enough I just listened to the 11th in that set!

It's been a while since I listened to the Eleventh! Maybe that'll be next - I also have the Jansons cycle, so maybe I'll switch to that one? Or stick with Barshai! We'll see...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

steve ridgway

Messiaen: La Transfiguration De Notre Seigneur Jésus-Christ

It took me two days to complete but it remained awesome all the way to the end 8) .

steve ridgway

Now playing Schnittke: Concerto Grosso No. 2

Harry

GIUSEPPE ANTONIO BRESCIANELLO.

Parthias and Sinphonias for solo Gallichone, C.1740.

DAVIDE REBUFFA- Gallichone, (A sort of a Lute instrument)
Recording: 2022, – Basement Studio, Vicenza.

An interesting instrument! The music is mainly written for amateurs, and this you hear, the music has not much substance, and provides no musical challenges. Still to while away the time while reading the newspapers it serves a purpose. David Rebuffa is a fine scholar, but even he cannot breath life in these compositions. His tempi are incredibly slow, and he struggles to get some expression out of the compositions and instrument, but it's like wringing water out of a stone. In my personal opinion, forgettable. Sound is okay, but the ambiance of the studio is a bit muffled. Do not expect the compositorial quality you are use to, regarding this composer, it's almost unworthy of him.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

André Henrich made wonderful Dufaut (Duault) recording earlier. This seems to be his latest recording.
Modest music, but charming.

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 25, 2024, 11:17:23 PM

André Henrich made wonderful Dufaut (Duault) recording earlier. This seems to be his latest recording.
Modest music, but charming.

Interesting, bookmarked! Good morning Que!

Harry

WILLIAM BYRD (c1540-1623).
THE COMPLETE KEYBOARD MUSIC.
CD 3.
DAVITT MORONEY, harpsichords, muselar virginal, chamber organ, clavichord Ahrend organ of l'Église-Musée des Augustins, Toulouse.
Performed on a Ahrend organ (1981) of l'Église-Musée des Augustins, Toulouse)

Beautifully performed and recorded. The Ahrend organ sounds like a dream. If you want Byrd, this is the set to go for!

Harry

George Lloyd (1913-1998).

Disc 4.

Symphony No. 5 in B-flat (1947-8).
Recorded: Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester, 1989.

Symphony No. 6 (1956.
Recorded:Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester 1988.

BBC Philharmonic.

An ongoing pleasure, in music, performance and sound. The second movement of the 6th Symphony is absolutely devastating in its tonal beauty.

Madiel

Satie (orch. Milhaud): Jack in the box

The 1926 season gets a whole 5 minutes of music in this box. It's actually from relatively early in Satie's career and doesn't have as many of his quirks. The rival SWR recordings do manage to fit in a rather larger ballet from this season, Auric's Les Matelots which I will have to try sometime.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Hello all,

JS Bach
BWV 54
from the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt box

Olivier

Madiel

Sauguet, La Chatte

My vague memory of my only previous encounter with Sauguet isn't all that positive, so I'm pleased that I'm rather enjoying this. Markevitch as conductor probably helps, as he's not one to let music get bogged down.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Engegard Qt, Mozart and Haydn, St Lukes Old Street. Younger audience than yesterday, and the hall is fuller. Warmer weather has brought them out. The hall looks lovely.

Oh my God. I've just noticed there's a whole class of kids - 30 - on the balcony. About 5 years old. That should be interesting.

Here we go.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

AnotherSpin

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 26, 2024, 02:42:30 AMHello all,

JS Bach
BWV 54
from the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt box

8)
Olivier