What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS, Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Kurt Atterberg (1887 – 1974).
Orchestral Works, Volume 4.
See back cover for details.
Recording venue, Concert Hall, Gothenburg, Sweden; 1997 (Symphony No. 3,) recorded live by Sveriges Radio (SR)) and 2015 (other works).

As the previous volumes in this series, I am mightily impressed in all aspects.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Traverso

Raag Maand Bhairav

Ustad Vilayat Khan Sitar

Great recording, highly recommended!

steve ridgway

Schnittke: Symphony No. 1

AnotherSpin

Spotted Horses

Roth Laredo, Rachmaminoff, Preludes Op 23 (first 5)

Poetic music, beautifully performed. The early 70's audio is good, but a little light in low frequencies.

(Based on the photo, she had big hands. I guess that was a prerequisite to playing Rachmaninoff.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Mili Alekseyevich BALAKIREV (1837-1910)
Complete Piano WORKS • 1
See back cover for details.
Nicholas Walker, Piano.
Recording Dates: 2012 Wyastone Lees, England.

A truly wonderful complete set of Balakirev's solo Piano music. I bought them complete some time ago, and return now for the third time.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 25, 2024, 05:33:13 PMKudos to Ondine for making this recording available. The style of Väinö Raitio, based on the works on the disc, is something like Scriabin goes to Finland. Great music.

I really like 'The Swans'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 26, 2024, 06:00:53 AMBased on the photo, she had big hands. I guess that was a prerequisite to playing Rachmaninoff.

Hofmann and Larrocha (all 4'9" of her) both had famously small hands, and both Ashkenazy and Argerich have comparatively small hands in the world of concert pianists, so it seems that other factors contribute more to success in the music. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Brian

Quote from: Todd on April 26, 2024, 07:52:58 AMHofmann and Larrocha (all 4'9" of her) both had famously small hands, and both Ashkenazy and Argerich have comparatively small hands in the world of concert pianists, so it seems that other factors contribute more to success in the music.
Ashkenazy was a small dude in general! I remember seeing him conduct and thinking he may be around 5'3" to 5'5". Steinway made Hofmann a special piano with narrower keys.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on April 26, 2024, 08:02:45 AMAshkenazy was a small dude in general! I remember seeing him conduct and thinking he may be around 5'3" to 5'5". Steinway made Hofmann a special piano with narrower keys.
Interesting!  :o
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 26, 2024, 08:02:45 AMAshkenazy was a small dude in general! I remember seeing him conduct and thinking he may be around 5'3" to 5'5". Steinway made Hofmann a special piano with narrower keys.

Concert pianists are not generally noted for their physical size.  Kovacevich was small and unassuming when I had the privilege of hearing him in person (he delivered one of the 2-3 best D960s I've heard, bettering his two recordings).  Moravec was maybe an inch or two shorter than average without giant paws.  Big guys with big hands are rare.  Rach had huge hands, as did Richter, and Ohlsson has hands nearly as large.  Hamelin has pretty big mitts.  I think Gorus has big hands, too.  I think most concert pianists end up being able to stretch a 10th, some a 9th, some an 11th.

Hofmann was a very rare talent, and even Rachmaninoff admitted that.

Linz

Schubert Symphony No. 9 in C major, Boston Symphny Orchestra, William Steinberg

Pohjolas Daughter

Currently listening to Janos Starker playing Elgar.  Haven't heard it before now.  On YT.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major, 885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak, Wiener Philharmoniker, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Lisztianwagner

Luigi Dallapiccola
Canti di liberazione

Hermann Scherchen & Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk Köln

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

AnotherSpin

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2024, 01:50:09 AMI am looking for this CD on Qobuz, through Roon, but I could find it...anyone? Tried it on name, composers and of course on Sigrun Richter, but to no avail. Maybe it not yet released on Qobuz? I thought someone mentioned it on GMG.

I think it's a great shame that you can't hear this easily, and the rest of her recordings in fact - though this new one benefits from excellent sound and a gorgeous lute. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's true.

It's introduced me to a composer who's new to me and whose music, at least in Sigrun Richter's hands, I very much like - Lorenzino del Liuto. I can see a couple of other recordings, so he must be known by the cognoscenti.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Linz

Berkeley Conducts Berkeley, London Philharmonic Orchestra