What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 27, 2024, 04:53:35 AM

Not sure if the world needed another recording of Vivaldi's mandolin concerto RV 425, but it is a very good performance. Of course the less famous mandolin concertos by Giovanni Paisiello, Francesco Lecce and Hummel are the real draw here, laced with concert pieces (not featuring the mandolin) by Galuppi, Paisiello and Haydn.

Great recording, recommended for those into this kind of repertoire.

Thanks for mentioning this, wishlisted. The Hummel is a peach.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Three discs gone, two to go.

This is a strong contender for the best Mozart box set ever released. Pure bliss, both performance-wise and sonic-wise.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2024, 05:24:05 AMUuno Klami.
Chamber Music.
See back cover for details.
Recorded at the Kuusankoski Hall, 2020.

This is a wonderful surprise, the music I mean! Impressive and deep, even magical. It had huge impact on me. Of course I will try to find more of this composer to listen to. The performance is good, and the sound also, but will look further for other interpretations. But that proved to be a lost battle, for Qobuz has not many recordings of Klami's music, which is what I expected more or less.
Do you know this CD Harry which I greatly enjoy?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on April 27, 2024, 05:43:24 AMDo you know this CD Harry which I greatly enjoy?

Yes I know it quite well, it's also one of my favourites. I searched the database of Presto for recordings of Klami, and most I found on Qobuz. Funny enough if you look at the discography of Klami in Roon, only a handful appear, meaning that although Roon has many more of them in the library through Qobuz, you will not get to see them in his discography, another flaw I think in Qobuz. Only manual search will find them, through orchestras or composers and even artists, but not through the composers own discography. To many discographies I think....... ::)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

akebergv

If download is an option, a good source for Klami is eClassical (here).

Iota

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1

Never heard Pletnev conducting a Tchaikovsky symphony before, he certainly brings all his vivid music-making charm and energy to it. I can't recall ever having heard the 'Winter Dreams' symphony before either, if I have it's been long forgotten, but both it and the performance much enjoyed.

ritter

Another work from an Italian conductor-composer: revisiting Gino Marinuzzi's Symphony in A.

TBH, the work by Victor de Sabata I was listening to earlier was nothing to write home about (flashy orchestral writing, all sorts of influences, but little substance I at least could detect). This symphony by Marinuzzi, OTOH, is quite an accomplishment, and is if anything making a stronger impression now than when I first discovered it some years ago. Very well shaped, elaborate scoring, beautiful melodic invention and thematic development.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2024, 07:53:56 AM7.30 PM (UK time)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001z05s

Did you end up watching it Jeffrey?  If so, what did you think of it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 25, 2024, 01:35:41 PMOne of my favorite Shostakovich cycles, and the Ninth was superb. A little disappointed in the Tenth, though... it felt a bit... underpowered? Lacking that little something extra at the climaxes?

I just listened to the Kondrashin 10th which delivered... but I recommend Haitink if you want more oomph.

I also I've been listening to Pettersson's 5th and Penderecki's works for cello and orchestra... so I am now just worn out on depressing neoromantic music.  I think I'm just going to focus on Bach, Haydn and Mozart for awhile.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on April 27, 2024, 05:56:19 AMYes I know it quite well, it's also one of my favourites. I searched the database of Presto for recordings of Klami, and most I found on Qobuz. Funny enough if you look at the discography of Klami in Roon, only a handful appear, meaning that although Roon has many more of them in the library through Qobuz, you will not get to see them in his discography, another flaw I think in Qobuz. Only manual search will find them, through orchestras or composers and even artists, but not through the composers own discography. To many discographies I think....... ::)
I don't know the recording that you showed Harry, but like Jeffrey, I also have that one plus: one on BIS-CD-676 and two on Ondine (*ODE 854-2 and ODE 1143-2).  I particularly like the "Cobblers on the Heath".
*This one is actually an Arkiv reproduction CD.

I discovered his music via a program on the BBC; it was about Finnish composers.  They had about a week's worth of episodes.  :)  It was with Donald Macleod.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, 1890 Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Yomiuri Nippon Symphony Stanislaw Orchestra Stanislaw Skrowaczewski

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2024, 02:06:44 AMGeorge Lloyd (1913-1998).

Disc 4.

Symphony No. 5 in B-flat (1947-8).
Recorded: Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester, 1989.

Symphony No. 6 (1956.
Recorded:Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester 1988.

BBC Philharmonic.

An ongoing pleasure, in music, performance and sound. The second movement of the 6th Symphony is absolutely devastating in its tonal beauty.

Couldn't agree more 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mapman

Huber: Symphony #1 (Tellsinfonie)

An attractive Romantic symphony. The 2nd movement reminded me a bit of Brahms. It's not as immediately memorable as his 2nd, but I still enjoyed listening to it.

AnotherSpin

Lisztianwagner

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.5

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Maestro267

Quote from: Mapman on April 27, 2024, 11:35:56 AMHuber: Symphony #1 (Tellsinfonie)

An attractive Romantic symphony. The 2nd movement reminded me a bit of Brahms. It's not as immediately memorable as his 2nd, but I still enjoyed listening to it.

I picked up this set a few months back. I'm slowly getting round to going through it again.

I hope to get the Lloyd 1-6 set soon as well.

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 25, 2024, 01:35:41 PMHaven't had a lot of time for music lately!

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 9
Symphony no. 10
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

(on CD)

One of my favorite Shostakovich cycles, and the Ninth was superb. A little disappointed in the Tenth, though... it felt a bit... underpowered? Lacking that little something extra at the climaxes?
I don't believe I've listened yet to the e minor symphony in that set, so I'm in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot