What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Daverz

Quote from: Linz on April 30, 2024, 12:25:19 PMBruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Robert Haas, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer

Just listened to this yesterday, the 2024 remaster coupled with the 5th, via Qobuz.  Still holds up extremely well.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Tchaikovsky
Symphony no. 6
Leningrad Philharmonic
Yevgeny Mravinsky

(on CD)

Until watching Hurwitz's video today, I wasn't aware there were two versions of Tchaikovsky 5 and 6, and that the one I have is not the legendary stereo set, but the earlier mono set. Still a historically valuable recording to have, and while it's not my first choice, I still enjoyed it.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

AnotherSpin

Op. 106, Emil Gilels' last concert recording, 1984

AnotherSpin

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 30, 2024, 05:53:49 PMTchaikovsky
Symphony no. 6
Leningrad Philharmonic
Yevgeny Mravinsky

(on CD)

Until watching Hurwitz's video today, I wasn't aware there were two versions of Tchaikovsky 5 and 6, and that the one I have is not the legendary stereo set, but the earlier mono set. Still a historically valuable recording to have, and while it's not my first choice, I still enjoyed it.

Of Mravinsky's DG recordings of 5th and 6th, I find these mono versions more interesting than those in stereo.

Cato

Serge Protopopov: Sunbeams for Trio: recorded this year!

And... Clouds Consecrated by the Sun

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2024, 10:00:52 PM

Great playing and pleasant but primarily entertaining music.

https://musicwebinternational.com/2023/05/brescianello-works-for-solo-lute-tactus/

Despite the beautiful and complimentary review on music web, I find this recording of little interest. Maybe I am to critical, that could be.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry on April 30, 2024, 10:27:46 PMDespite the beautiful and complimentary review on music web, I find this recording of little interest. Maybe I am to critical, that could be.

I fully agree... In fact, it couldn't even hold my attention for a single session and halfway I switched to Frescobaldi:

Fiori Musicali: Messa degli Apostoli.

classicalgeek

A little late-night listening:

Charles Tournemire
Symphony no. 6
Orchestre Philharmonique de Liege
various choirs
Pierre Bartholomee

(on Spotify)

What a fascinating - and beautiful - piece! Expertly orchestrated for huge forces (with particular skill in scoring for woodwinds.) It ends in a blaze of glory with resplendent brass, pealing bells, organ and choir doing their thing... I need to listen to more Tournemire!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2024, 11:00:29 PMI fully agree... In fact, it couldn't even hold my attention for a single session and halfway I switched to Frescobaldi:

Fiori Musicali: Messa degli Apostoli.

That was a very good idea, I did the same actually :o
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Linz on April 30, 2024, 12:25:19 PMBruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major, 1881 Version. Ed. Robert Haas, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer
Best version IMO
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 30, 2024, 05:53:49 PMTchaikovsky
Symphony no. 6
Leningrad Philharmonic
Yevgeny Mravinsky

(on CD)

A fabulous set!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 30, 2024, 12:37:33 PMBLISS: Miracle in the Gorbals / Discourse for Orchestra.

One of my favourite Bliss releases!

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 30, 2024, 11:43:36 PMA little late-night listening:

Charles Tournemire
Symphony no. 6
Orchestre Philharmonique de Liege
various choirs
Pierre Bartholomee

(on Spotify)

What a fascinating - and beautiful - piece! Expertly orchestrated for huge forces (with particular skill in scoring for woodwinds.) It ends in a blaze of glory with resplendent brass, pealing bells, organ and choir doing their thing... I need to listen to more Tournemire!
Count me in as a Tournemire fan. I like the epic No.7 as well as No.3 'Moscow'.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 30, 2024, 02:15:09 PMDohnányi: Symphony No. 2 in E major

Do
I really like that CD Cesar - especially the moving Bach quotation.

Que

AnotherSpin

pjme

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 30, 2024, 11:43:36 PMWhat a fascinating - and beautiful - piece! Expertly orchestrated for huge forces (with particular skill in scoring for woodwinds.) It ends in a blaze of glory with resplendent brass, pealing bells, organ and choir doing their thing... I need to listen to more Tournemire!

As far as I know, it is the only time Tournemire pulls that many stops in his symphonies. 
His (late) oratorios and operas may contain similar moments, but they have never or haven't been performed in recent times.
The  Trilogie Faust –Don Quichotte – Saint François d'Assise (1929), the Apocalypse de saint Jean (1936), La Douloureuse Passion du Christ (1936-37), Il Poverello di Assisi (1938), La Légende de Tristan (1926).
Apart from the symphonies there's a Poème for organ and orchesrta, a Rhapsodie for piano and orchestra and a "fresque" for female chorus and orchestra,  La Queste du Saint Graal.

Florestan

Disc 4 of 12

Technically speaking, this box should be a marvel. Massenet's complete songs, all-French singers, an Erard piano --- what more could one wish for?

And yet, after running through 4 discs, I'm hugely disappointed. The sensuousness, the lushness, the vocal and pianistic voluptuousness one would expect from, or rather for, Massenet's music are nowhere to be found. Cold, uninvolved, uninspired and uninspiring, dull and boring singing and accompanying, as if all performers involved conspired into "Let's get this whole damn thing done as quick as possible and go home!" No nuance, no shade, no delicacy of feeling and execution, no nothing (sic!) usually and rightly associated with Massenet --- everything correct, metronomic, mechanical, lifeless. I expected an enchanted garden full of perfumed delights and instead got a green-grocery minutes before closing time.

The only redeeming feature is the deluxe presentation, a 300-something-page booklet with an interesting general essay on Massenet's songs, detailed information about, and complete French texts of, all songs, plus English translations. A commendable scholarly effort which unfortunately cannot make up for the appalling inadequacy of the performance. A real pity...
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy