What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, pianoforever, Spotted Horses and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

brewski

Another winning period instrument Beethoven 9th, this time from Anima Eterna Brugge and Collegium Vocale Gent, with conductor Korneel Bernolet. Quite liking it.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Florestan

This twofer is a treasure trove. Donizetti was a pupil and protege of Giovanni Simone (Johann Simon) Mayr and it shows. He and Rossini were probably the only Italian composers of their time who were thoroughly versed in German music; the difference being that Rossini was an autodidact in this respect, albeit a genius one, whereas Donizetti absorbed it from Mayr's rigorous teaching. His SQs are very accomplished works, full to the brim with interesting, often arresting, ideas and gorgeous melodies, interlocked within a compelling structure and a gripping musical discourse. They are all excellent but if I were to single out one, it must be the SQ No. 14 in D major, which is almost Schubertian in the way Donizetti makes a major key sound as turbulent, distressing and dissonant as a minor one.

The recording is sonic bliss, the instruments placed in genuine stereo manner (to my ears, the order is, from left to right, cello, violin I and II, viola --- which is unusual but highly interesting and effective) and clearly and vividly audible at all times.

This --- and the second volume, also a twofer, which I can hardly wait to begin listening to  --- is highly recommended for fans of both Donizetti* and Classical string quartets. Unqualified Florestan's Stamp of Approval.

* @Tsaraslondon @ritter @nico1616 @JBS

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 30, 2024, 05:53:49 PMTchaikovsky
Symphony no. 6
Leningrad Philharmonic
Yevgeny Mravinsky

(on CD)

Until watching Hurwitz's video today, I wasn't aware there were two versions of Tchaikovsky 5 and 6, and that the one I have is not the legendary stereo set, but the earlier mono set. Still a historically valuable recording to have, and while it's not my first choice, I still enjoyed it.

There is actually more than two.  There are some other recordings on other labels.  Anyway out of those DG, the stereo has better sound, but the mono is I think slightly more driven and colorful.

Ian

Sergey Vasilenko: Suites

Linz

Malcolm Arnold Commonwealth Christmas Overture, Op. 64, Clarinet Concerto No. 1, Op. 20, Divertimento No. 2, Op. 24 / Op. 75, Larch Trees, Op. 3, Larch Trees, Op. 3 and The Padstow Lifeboat, Op. 94a (arr. Philip Lane) Michael Collins clarinet Rumon Gamba, BBC Philharmonic

Lisztianwagner

Dmitri Shostakovich
Symphony No.5

Bernard Haitink & Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Haydn Symphonies no 88 in G major, 89 in F major and 90 in C major, Berliner Philharmoniker, Simon Rattle

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Complete String Quartets w/ the Amida Quartett - decided to replace my old Quartetto Italiano set with these much more recent recordings (2014-2021) - reviews have been superb (attached for those interested).  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Not in a space-saving small box w/ paper sleeves and a single booklet, BUT 5 CD jewel boxes, two being doubles so a total of 7 discs with the box just over 2 inches wide; there is a booklet in each CD case (original release I assume) plus one general booklet.

Brian

One of my new coworkers said she is a viola player so it made me think of listening to this great album.

Quote from: Linz on May 01, 2024, 10:27:48 AMMalcolm Arnold Commonwealth Christmas Overture, Op. 64, Clarinet Concerto No. 1, Op. 20, Divertimento No. 2, Op. 24 / Op. 75, Larch Trees, Op. 3, Larch Trees, Op. 3 and The Padstow Lifeboat, Op. 94a (arr. Philip Lane) Michael Collins clarinet Rumon Gamba, BBC Philharmonic
I listened to this yesterday! It is an interesting combination of Arnold's somewhat lighter music (like the Philharmonic Concerto and Clarinet Concerto) and his waaaay lighter music (like the Christmas overture).

Lisztianwagner

William Walton
Symphony No.2

Vladimir Ashkenazy & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, 894 Original Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak, Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, François-Xavier Roth

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 01, 2024, 01:14:13 AMI really like that CD Cesar - especially the moving Bach quotation.

Indeed, a great symphony that should be better known. The final movement is a theme and variations (with fugue and coda) on that Bach quotation, that comes being the chorale 'Komm, süsser Tod, Komm, sel'ge Ruh!'. Dohnányi did something similar with the structure of the last movement of his 1st Symphony, which is another terrific work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Joseph Canteloube Songs of the Auvergne, Jill Gomez, Royal Liverpool Philarmonic Orchestra, Vernon Handley

Symphonic Addict

Marx: Castelli Romani, for piano and orchestra

Wonderful music. Its sonorities, orchestration, melodies, make it a captivating work.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Fauré: Nocturnes 1-7

I had left my traversal of his solo piano works paused. Time to resume. Immensely beautiful pieces.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 01, 2024, 04:26:57 PMMarx: Castelli Romani, for piano and orchestra

Wonderful music. Its sonorities, orchestration, melodies, make it a captivating work.

This was reissued on Naxos.

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 06:28:28 AM

This twofer is a treasure trove. Donizetti was a pupil and protege of Giovanni Simone (Johann Simon) Mayr and it shows. He and Rossini were probably the only Italian composers of their time who were thoroughly versed in German music; the difference being that Rossini was an autodidact in this respect, albeit a genius one, whereas Donizetti absorbed it from Mayr's rigorous teaching. His SQs are very accomplished works, full to the brim with interesting, often arresting, ideas and gorgeous melodies, interlocked within a compelling structure and a gripping musical discourse. They are all excellent but if I were to single out one, it must be the SQ No. 14 in D major, which is almost Schubertian in the way Donizetti makes a major key sound as turbulent, distressing and dissonant as a minor one.

The recording is sonic bliss, the instruments placed in genuine stereo manner (to my ears, the order is, from left to right, cello, violin I and II, viola --- which is unusual but highly interesting and effective) and clearly and vividly audible at all times.

This --- and the second volume, also a twofer, which I can hardly wait to begin listening to  --- is highly recommended for fans of both Donizetti* and Classical string quartets. Unqualified Florestan's Stamp of Approval.

* @Tsaraslondon @ritter @nico1616 @JBS

You piqued my interest. See the Purchases Thread.

TD
Ingrid Haebler playing Schubert's Impromptus.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

andolink

Delightful music by lesser known contemporaries of Haydn and Mozart. Perfomances and sound are both superb - -

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

Irons

Violin Sonata: Grace Williams.

A strong piece with plenty to say.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.