What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 02, 2024, 11:40:09 PMIndeed! I guess it's not available streaming?

On Qobuz I found it.!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 02, 2024, 11:50:12 PM

Performances are up to the hight standards of the ensemble Beauty Farm of late. Some voices are doubled in these four masses for 5 of six voices. But it is hard to tell who sings when, since the physical product doesn't provide much added value in the form of a booklet. Two pages of liner notes are printed inside the double folded carboard sleeves, with the music and the singers on the back. But it's worth it: rare repertoire in absolutely great performances, "continental" style.

On Qobuz you can only hear two tracks, the complete CD is not available, weird!

Harry

Tabulatures de Leut.
Paul O'Dette Lute.
See LP back cover for details.

An absolutely amazing recording, well performed and recorded. I keep being impressed by the artistry of O'Dette. He almost never disappoints. A fine line up of composers.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Harry on May 02, 2024, 11:53:38 PMOn Qobuz you can only hear two tracks, the complete CD is not available, weird!

Apple Music also has only two tracks. Some sort of marketing strategy perhaps. I've come across cases where only a few tracks are initially available, before the entire release is made available.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2024, 12:14:18 AMApple Music also has only two tracks. Some sort of marketing strategy perhaps. I've come across cases where only a few tracks are initially available, before the entire release is made available.

Patience is the word I guess. Thanks for that bit of info.

Harry

Norbert Burgmüller.
SQ, Volume I.
Mannheimer Streichquartett.
Recorded in 1999.

These performances are worth the investment! The string quartets are absolutely  worth rediscovering and deserve a permanent place in the quartet repertoire in my opinion. Beautifully and appealingly works, well recorded and performed.

Mandryka

No booklet on Qobuz, but the sound is streaming.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Toccate e Partite - Libro Primo, Francesco Cera, harpsichord.

Que

Quote from: Harry on May 02, 2024, 11:53:38 PMOn Qobuz you can only hear two tracks, the complete CD is not available, weird!

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2024, 12:14:18 AMApple Music also has only two tracks. Some sort of marketing strategy perhaps. I've come across cases where only a few tracks are initially available, before the entire release is made available.

New releases are usually preceded by a taster/teaser of one or two tracks available streaming. This has just been released and I ordered from jpc, which is usually one of the first.  So I expect this to become available streaming shortly.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2024, 12:50:36 AM

No booklet on Qobuz, but the sound is streaming.

Definitely going to order that one.

Que

DavidW

My favorite listen recently is magnificent, charming Haydn.  Just perfection.  Not overly driven (that is how you crush Haydn), nor ponderous, nor dull.  Just effortlessly musical.

Harry

Johannes Ockeghem.
Complete Songs, Vol.2.
Blue Heron.
Cody Bowers, Kim Leeds, Sophie Michaux, Reginald Mobley, Margot Rood.
Scott Metcalfe, harp & fiddle, artistic director.
Recorded: 2022, 2023, 2024, Church of the Redeemer, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Could not find the back cover for it.

I can join the fanclub ;D  This is absolutely amazing.  I might say something concerning the sopranos, who lash out at places, be it mildly, for example in " Baisies moy dont fort", but in general I can live with that. Excellent recording and performance.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 26, 2024, 10:26:50 AMEarly Larrocha and Teresa Escandon remain my favorite Goyesca.

Very much enjoying Escandon today - I think I had to approach her with a head free from the memory of other, more middle of the road, performances. Thanks for your advocacy of the recording.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 02, 2024, 09:07:12 PMNaxos Kalevala selection
How did you like the CD, Jeffrey?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Walton: Scapino- A Comedy Overture.

Great fun, with rough and tumble that reminded me of Elgar's Falstaff.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Que on May 03, 2024, 03:22:20 AMNew releases are usually preceded by a taster/teaser of one or two tracks available streaming. This has just been released and I ordered from jpc, which is usually one of the first.  So I expect this to become available streaming shortly.

I haven't noticed the major labels doing this, but sometimes the smaller, quirky labels. Probably they want to motivate people to buy the physical media, rather than wait for the eventual streaming release.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Maurice Ravel,
Sonata posthume for Violin and Piano.

Ottorino Respighi.
Sonata for Violin and Piano in B minor.

Lydia Mordkovitch, Violin.
Clifford Benson, Piano.
Recorded in 1993.

Wonderful, just wonderful. No matter which recording I pick featuring Lydia Mordkovitch, it's always a shot in the rose!

JBS

Quote from: Que on May 03, 2024, 03:22:20 AMNew releases are usually preceded by a taster/teaser of one or two tracks available streaming. This has just been released and I ordered from jpc, which is usually one of the first.  So I expect this to become available streaming shortly.

Amazon US is showing a US release date of May 17.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Harry

Music of the Middle Ages and of the Renaissance.
Kiya Tabassian, Ensemble Constantinople.
See back cover for details.

I find the recordings by the Ensemble Constantinople highly satisfying. Always  perfect natural interpretations, whatever the era they choose,, by musicians who are deeply involved in the fabric of the era, and having the right expression in their performances. I have downloaded all the recordings by this ensemble, and never regretted it sofar! This particular release is hugely enjoyable. Good sound too.