What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Beethoven, LV - starting to go through my Beethoven collection - have a lot of duplications/triplications/and more - maybe some readjustments -  ::)  ;D

Last few days, the ones below - all keepers for me, although the Diabelli Variations could be a 'nut job' with so many recordings - these two suit me as a PI/MI combination.  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2024, 06:36:06 AMVery much enjoying Escandon today - I think I had to approach her with a head free from the memory of other, more middle of the road, performances. Thanks for your advocacy of the recording.

Nice find!
Maybe the playing is slightly afro-latin? Nice implicit rhythms and exotic spacing.

Quote from: Mandryka on February 26, 2024, 09:24:02 AMIf the Hatto is Haseki, it has been significantly modified. Not just tempo but also colour, timbre. I think Haseki is OK - but Hatto is OKer.

I prefer the Hatto to the Hiseki.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Bamberger Symphoniker, Jakub Hrůša

Lisztianwagner

Kurt Atterberg
Symphony No.3

Ari Rasilainen & NDR Radiophilharmonie

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Pierné Piano Trios in C Minor, Op. 45
Fauré Piano Trio in D Minor, Op. 120
Trio Wanderer

Mapman

Haydn: Piano Sonata #60, H XVI/50
Ilse Von Alpenheim

The 3rd movement is especially interesting with some startling dissonances (e.g. B over A♯ and F♯).

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 3 in D Minor, Bruckner Orchestra  Linz, Martin Sieghart:

SonicMan46

Beethoven Piano Sonatas for the afternoon - Annie Fischer (first 3 discs in the box) and Penelope Crawford on her 1835 Conrad Graf fortepiano (Brian interviewed her for MusicWeb HERE; she's not brought out anymore sonata recordings) - my other boxes are Gulda, Kempff (stereo - probably should get the mono?), and Brautigam - will sample selectively the next few days and decide if I need some culling/adding?  Dave :)

Henk

Relatively simple, yet charming music. Seems to help calm and clear my mind and see things in a positive way.

Henk

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Maurice Ravel
L'Enfant et les Sortilèges

Simon Rattle & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

A good opera suffused with impressionist elements. I was thinking of Juha like a female character, but it isn't, it's a man and the plot is about a love triangle.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

AnotherSpin

AnotherSpin

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Vladimir Peskin, Vassily Brandt, Gustav Cords, Oskar Bohme, et al. Trumpet Concerti, etc.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

steve ridgway

Respighi: Feste Romane

Que

2nd disc. It's fortunate that an important gap in my Franco-Flemish collection is suddenly filled. I have a wonderful Manchicourt recording by the Huelgas Ensemble, but that has a crosssection of Manchicourt's secular and sacred repertoire - no complete masses. The music is very impressive, marked by continuous organic shifts. Performed at unaltered (lower) pitch my a small group of male singers, it creates a wonderful mood.

Irons

Bax: Cello Sonata.

Kicked off listening session with George Lloyd's 11th Symphony which I did enjoy. Not star of the show though as that accolade goes to Arnold Bax! At an hour of symphonic listening my admittedly short attention span is on the wane and it would take something special to perk me up (so to speak :D). Middle movement of the Bax Cello Sonata is stunningly beautiful.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.