What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/55/000169555.pdf

Decent sound - the Brahms is "interesting" The booklet shows Pletnev to be an old reactionary, so I've completely lost respect.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2024, 11:56:02 PM

Decent sound - the Brahms is "interesting" The booklet shows Pletnev to be an old reactionary, so I've completely lost respect.

I listened to Pletnev live back in Soviet times, some early CDs later. For some reason he seemed interesting then, maybe in comparison to the average products of the so-called "Russian" school of pianism. And I could never get rid of some kind of dreary, nauseating heaviness, viscous energy coming from him, and my invariably bad feeling afterwards. I happily got rid of my interest in him many years ago.

Florestan

In another thread you seem to be appreciative of "free thinkers". Well, nowadays, in the era of mass conformity to the latest "progressive" fad, especially amongst the youth, to be an old reactionary is to be a courageous "free thinker".  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

The booklet shows Pletnev to be an OLD REACTIONARY, so I've completely lost respect.

In a political or musical sense - or both?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Que

Toccate e Partite - Libro Primo, Francesco Cera, harpsichord.

Florestan

Quote from: prémont on May 04, 2024, 02:11:43 AMIn a political or musical sense - or both?

Judge for yourself.

Quote from: Mikhail Pletnev[Alexei Shor] is a melodist, and being a melodist nowadays is the greatest courage. Everyone can write nonsense, and this is considered good. But no one wants to listen to this. Shor is an independent person, he writes what he wants and what he hears. That's why his music is so popular.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

TD

Not too late at all: the Orthodox Easter will be celebrated tomorrow.  8)

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on May 04, 2024, 02:57:20 AMJudge for yourself.

Yes, he seems to be very critical of Mad Vlad.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Florestan

Todd

Starting in on a proper, multi-listening session once over of this set.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2024, 12:50:36 AM

No booklet on Qobuz, but the sound is streaming.

Booklet is here: https://www.blueheron.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/645312499656_Booklet.pdf

I've been listening to this non-stop, just some of the best songs ever written IMO.

VonStupp

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Mass in B-flat Major, op. 77
Alma Virgo, op. 89a
Mass in D Major, op. 111

Susan Gritton, soprano
Collegium Musicum 90 - Richard Hickox

After going through Haydn's masses, I couldn't ignore his Esterházy successor Hummel.

Hummel is at his creative, forward-looking best during the Credo and Sanctus in both works. The Alma Virgo is a bit of high-flying soprano fun.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Florestan

AnotherSpin

Iota

Debussy: La damoiselle élue

Already at 24 years old, Debussy's harmonies appear to be carried along in a permanent state of ecstatic suspension, supposedly Wagner-inspired yet so different. A very lovely thing.

Keemun

Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 4 and 5 (Till Fellner, Kent Nagano, Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal)

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jacques Ibert: Le chevalier errant & Les amours de Jupiter. Orchestre national de Lorraine, Jacques Mercier.

SonicMan46

Continuing today with Beethoven's Piano Sonatas - Wilhelm Kempff's mono (1950s) vs. stereo (1960s) - I own the latter but listened to a few hours of the mono recordings this morning on Spotify, now on my own stereo ones - preference, well liked them equally - in Todd's Rating, both are in the top 10 tier with the mono performances a few notches higher - reviews are also equally excellent (attached - seen the one by our Jens Laurson with a link to his 9-part listing of dozens of recordings in the last 80+ years!) - believe that I'll just keep the stereo box.  Dave :)

P.S. at the bottom is another Hurwitz discussion - he is selective but likes the ones mostly in that top 10 tier linked above, BUT at the very end, he talks about the newer Igor Levit box as a top 'modern' choice for these works; Todd has Levit in the middle of his 3rd tier - may have to do a listen on Spotify - other opinions?

Lisztianwagner

First listen to:

Hans Werner Henze
Undine, act 1^

Oliver Knussen & London Sinfonietta

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya