What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 04, 2024, 09:45:54 AMBUT at the very end, he talks about the newer Igor Levit box as a top 'modern' choice for these works

Distler would be better situated to assess the cycles, I think.  I'd also like to know how many modern cycles (ie, 21st Century) Hurwitz has heard, including all the foreign market cycles.  Sony Classical alone has three other modern cycles that are better . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 04, 2024, 09:45:54 AMP.S. at the bottom is another Hurwitz discussion - he is selective but likes the ones mostly in that top 10 tier linked above, BUT at the very end, he talks about the newer Igor Levit box as a top 'modern' choice for these works; Todd has Levit in the middle of his 3rd tier - may have to do a listen on Spotify - other opinions?

I like Levit's box but you can also try Buchbinder and Badura-Skoda (PI one, haven't heard the MI).  I'm taking modern as digital stereo.  If it comes to last few years, heck if I know!

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on May 04, 2024, 11:29:25 AMI'm taking modern as digital stereo.

The earliest digital cycles are forty years old now.  I'm not sure those qualify as modern anymore.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Verdi Requiem, Tito del Bianco, , Amara, Forrester, Tucker, London, Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy

Christo

Time and again, as I don't have time for listening to music for months in a row, but still find some during a few car tours: Ruth Gipps, Symphony no. 3 (1965), one of the most wonderful symphonies I know, and indeed the very best "Third" I know. Listened to it again this morning while touring through neigbouring Germany, and was overwhelmed again: simply superb.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Iota

Quote from: Mandryka on May 03, 2024, 12:50:36 AM

No booklet on Qobuz, but the sound is streaming.

Am finding these very engaging!

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2024, 06:46:29 AMI haven't noticed the major labels doing this, but sometimes the smaller, quirky labels. Probably they want to motivate people to buy the physical media, rather than wait for the eventual streaming release.

The Lim Chopin Etudes on Decca was a recent example.

Quote from: Florestan on May 04, 2024, 02:57:20 AMJudge for yourself.

Quote(Mikhail Pletnev) Alexei Shor is a melodist, and being a melodist nowadays is the greatest courage. Everyone can write nonsense, and this is considered good. But no one wants to listen to this. Shor is an independent person, he writes what he wants and what he hears. That's why his music is so popular.

It's disappointing to hear someone as apparently intelligent as Pletnev seeming to imply that people who write music not to his taste, are not writing what they want or what they hear.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Iota on May 04, 2024, 12:24:32 PMAm finding these very engaging!

The Lim Chopin Etudes on Decca was a recent example.

It's disappointing to hear someone as apparently intelligent as Pletnev seeming to imply that people who write music not to his taste, are not writing what they want or what they hear.

Also: being a melodist nowadays is the greatest courage is piffle.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

William Walton Symphony No. 1 in B flat minor, Siesta, London Philharmonic O|rchestra, and Symphony No. 2, London Symphony Orchestra,Charle Mackerras

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 03, 2024, 06:37:22 AMHow did you like the CD, Jeffrey?

PD
Liked it all PD. An unusual Finnish Naxos release featuring Finnish themed works by Klami, Sibelius and Glazunov. I enjoyed the whole programme of works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Iota on May 04, 2024, 12:24:32 PMAm finding these very engaging!

Yes. I'm enjoying most the songs with instruments and the soprano. Their tone, their "grain",  seems quite pure and neutral, I think (I'm not sure) singers call it "white" - I 'd like a bit more character to the vocal timbre ideally I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 04, 2024, 09:45:54 AM- believe that I'll just keep the stereo box.  Dave :)

It's a wise decision to watch out for the omnipresent threatening CDCDCD here in GMG...  $:)

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2024, 01:40:05 PMLiked it all PD. An unusual Finnish Naxos release featuring Finnish themed works by Klami, Sibelius and Glazunov. I enjoyed the whole programme of works.
What was the Glazunov work?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 03, 2024, 11:34:11 PMBax: Cello Sonata.

Kicked off listening session with George Lloyd's 11th Symphony which I did enjoy. Not star of the show though as that accolade goes to Arnold Bax! At an hour of symphonic listening my admittedly short attention span is on the wane and it would take something special to perk me up (so to speak :D). Middle movement of the Bax Cello Sonata is stunningly beautiful.
I don't believe that I've heard Bax's Cello Sonata before?  I'll have to find it and dig in.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Bloch: Évocations, for orchestra

This is simply one of Bloch's greatest works IMO. Orchestral music at its best. I'm fascinated by how exotic, atmospheric, magical, powerful and ferocious this music sounds like. There is another recording on BIS, but I prefer this one on Koch.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

First listen to:

Hans Werner Henze
Undine, act 2^ & 3^

Oliver Knussen & London Sinfonietta

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 04, 2024, 12:35:47 PMAlso: being a melodist nowadays is the greatest courage is piffle.

Sounds like something WAM would write! 

Oh sorry... WAM+God. :P

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 04, 2024, 02:33:02 PMI don't believe that I've heard Bax's Cello Sonata before?  I'll have to find it and dig in.   :)

PD

You won't be disappointed!

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 04, 2024, 02:58:22 PMSounds like something WAM would write! 
Oh sorry... WAM+God. :P

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Klami: Symphony No. 1

Elements of Sibelius and French music run throughout the work, which is better than I remembered.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Farrenc: Symphony No. 3 in G minor

Noam Chomsky