What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Linz and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Kabalevsky: Symphony No. 1

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Méditations Sur Le Mystère De La Sainte Trinité

Que

I probably shouldn't buy any discs any more, but occasionally I still do. And as it happens to fully grasp the concept behind this 2CD issue (with combined playing time and price of a single disc) you need the booklet with pictures of the landscapes in presentday Belgium and northern France, or the book by Van Nevel from 2018 in which he illustrates his theory that these physical landscapes influenced the mental landscapes of the composers who grew up and lived in it and by consequence their musical landscapes.

Breathtakingly beautiful performances of music by Johannes Symonis Hasprois, Antoine Busnois, Johannes Ockeghem, Josquin Desprez, Antoine de Févin, Jean Mouton, Nicolle des Celliers de Hesdin, Jean l'Héritier, Josquin Baston, Pierre de Manchicourt and Nicolas Gombert. Van Nevel is now in his late 70s but hasn't lost his magical touch. I wish he would a complete  Busnois recording or all the Desprez masses, but all his recent recordings are multiple composers recitals, often taken from concerts.. ..

Maestro267

Bliss: Morning Heroes
Westbrook (orator)
Liverpool Philharmonic Choir
Royal Liverpool PO/Groves

Que

Toccate e Partite - Libro Primo, Francesco Cera, harpsichord and organ. 2nd disc.

Harry

JOHANNES OCKEGHEM (c. 1420-1497)
COMPLETE SONGS, VOLUME 1.
Recorded September, 2018, Church of the Redeemer, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Blue Heron.
Megan Chartrand, Kim Leeds, Sophie Michaux, Martin Near, Margot Rood discantus, Owen McIntosh, Jason McStoots, Stefan Reed, Aaron Sheehan, Sumner Thompson, tenor & contratenor, Paul Guttry, David McFerrin bassus, Laura Jeppesen, Vielle, Scott Metcalfe Director, harp & vielle.

Every bit as good as Volume II.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 04, 2024, 02:31:21 PMWhat was the Glazunov work?

PD
Of the Kalevala - Kalevalasta - Ur Kalevla (Finnish Sketches)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 04, 2024, 10:00:56 PM

I probably shouldn't buy any discs any more, but occasionally I still do. And as it happens to fully grasp the concept behind this 2CD issue (with combined playing time and price of a single disc) you need the booklet with pictures of the landscapes in presentday Belgium and northern France, or the book by Van Nevel from 2018 in which he illustrates his theory that these physical landscapes influenced the mental landscapes of the composers who grew up and lived in it and by consequence their musical landscapes.

Breathtakingly beautiful performances of music by Johannes Symonis Hasprois, Antoine Busnois, Johannes Ockeghem, Josquin Desprez, Antoine de Févin, Jean Mouton, Nicolle des Celliers de Hesdin, Jean l'Héritier, Josquin Baston, Pierre de Manchicourt and Nicolas Gombert. Van Nevel is now in his late 70s but hasn't lost his magical touch. I wish he would a complete  Busnois recording or all the Desprez masses, but all his recent recordings are multiple composers recitals, often taken from concerts.. ..

The thing you miss is the photographic projections. In concert the whole thing was an impressive show - polished music making, for me over-polished (as always with van Nevel), but nevertheless stunningly beautiful. Quite instructive to hear too because the pieces were arranged chronologically, so you got a real feel for how musical fashions changed
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune

As good as any I've heard. In combination with the unique bewitchment powers of the Prelude,  Denève's conducting takes us to a sensory stratosphere. Wondrous.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on May 05, 2024, 02:17:43 AMThe thing you miss is the photographic projections. In concert the whole thing was an impressive show - polished music making, for me over-polished (as always with van Nevel), but nevertheless stunningly beautiful. Quite instructive to hear too because the pieces were arranged chronologically, so you got a real feel for how musical fashions changed

A pity I missed the show, that must have quite the event!

Harry

Orgel Landschaft Ritten.
Peter Waldner plays on the following Organs:
Kirche Rupert Mayr, Oberbozen, The Church of Kommende, Lengmoos by Franz Reinisch, The Church Sankt Verena, in Rotwand, Lengstein, Church of Sankt Antonius, Klebenstein, by Peter Überbacher, Church of Sankt Peter, Wangen by Franz Reinisch.
Composers: Hans Leo Hassler, Johann Pachelbel, Georg Böhm, Johann Sebastian Bach, Johann Speth, Johann Caspar Kerll, Franz Xaver Murschhauser, Robert Führer, Johannes Brahms.
Recorded:2004.

I almost have no words, that beautiful it is. What a joy to listen to it.

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on May 05, 2024, 04:34:14 AMA pity I missed the show, that must have quite the event!

It was packed, in Sint-pauluskerk in Antwerp, a massive, impressive, pure white old church. Singers in the middle and audience all around. Same night as Cappella Pratensis Obrecht Missa Maria Zart, which was in a St Andrieskerk. You had to almost run to get from one venue to the other, which added to the festival feeling. The van Nevel was the event where I realised how much Renaissance polyphony is about beauty of sound -- I kind of couldn't believe how beautiful the sound was!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Variations for Orchestra

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 05, 2024, 04:57:38 AMIt was packed, in Sint-pauluskerk in Antwerp, a massive, impressive, pure white old church. Singers in the middle and audience all around. Same night as Cappella Pratensis Obrecht Missa Maria Zart, which was in a St Andrieskerk. You had to almost run to get from one venue to the other, which added to the festival feeling. The van Nevel was the event where I realised how much Renaissance polyphony is about beauty of sound -- I kind of couldn't believe how beautiful the sound was!

I suspect the church acoustics played no small part in that. I know from personal experience that a mass may sound nothing special in one's own room or headphones but the same mass in a church is something else altogether. Context is everything, in music as in everything else.

And yes, I agree: Renaissance music is among the most beautiful things ever created by man.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Celebrating the revival of the LvB Missa Solemnis thread! :)

VonStupp

Robert Russell Bennett
Old American Dances
Down to the Sea in Ships
Four Preludes
Symphonic Songs
Autobiography
RNCM Wind Orchestra
Clark Rundell & Mark Heron

Bennett's brand of Americana reminds me of Don Gillis.
VS

Electric Park, Kansas City MO
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Harry

Frank Bridge.
See back cover for details.
The Nash Ensemble.
Recorded in Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, 2012.

To my ears this ensemble were on the top of their game, and still are. I consider this recording as one of the best on the market. SOTA sound too.

Cato

I believe this work has been mentioned already, Au Jardin de Marguerite.

I caught part of it today on the radio!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

pjme

Indeed, a couple of weeks ago. :)

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29166.msg1559672.html#msg1559672

It is a large  one hour symphonic poem with chorus and solo voices . lyrics by the composer , after Goethe.