What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

steve ridgway

La Traquet Rieur

Bird songs by God, arranged by O. Messiaen ;) .

Que

Quote from: DavidW on May 05, 2024, 05:19:59 PMInspired to listen... this is such a great performance!

Oh yes!  :)  I might like it even better than the remake that was also issued on EMI. (Let's forget the Teldec/Warner.)

Que

Starting with this set. Tomadin uses a string of Italian organ - historical and reconstructions. Which is no problem with early Southern German organ music, that is heavily influenced by the Italian style. Hassler studied in Venice together with Giovanni Gabrieli with the latter's uncle Andrea Gabrieli.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 05, 2024, 08:56:11 PMRachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

These Litton/RPO/Rachmaninov are very fine indeed - and almost never considered/mentioned when discussing the various sets and cycles.  But the same is true about Litton's Tchaikovsky in Bournemouth as well -really very good indeed.  FYI - in Rach. Symphony 1 Litton is one of the very few conductors to use all the percussion that Rachmaninov wrote for - it certainly changes the character ofsome passages.

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on May 05, 2024, 06:02:01 AMFrank Bridge.
See back cover for details.
The Nash Ensemble.
Recorded in Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, 2012.

To my ears this ensemble were on the top of their game, and still are. I consider this recording as one of the best on the market. SOTA sound too.
Great cover painting as well (Ravilious I think)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Sibelius: Four Legends for Orchestra
Horst Stein/OSR
To be followed by En Saga and Pohjola's Daughter ( ;D )
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 05, 2024, 11:19:33 PMFYI - in Rach. Symphony 1 Litton is one of the very few conductors to use all the percussion that Rachmaninov wrote for - it certainly changes the character ofsome passages.
I cannot find -yet- information on who actually "reconstructed - re-orchestrated" Rachmaninov's first symphony.
several names pop up: Gunst, Lamm, Gauk, Aleksandr Ossovsky and Boris Shalman.

From several articles on the internet:

Rachmaninoff's First Symphony underwent a significant reconstruction after his death. The original version was heavily criticized at its premiere, and Rachmaninoff himself made revisions to it. However, the score was lost for many years, and after his death, it was reconstructed by Soviet musicologist Yevgeny Gunst based on Rachmaninoff's original manuscripts. This reconstruction is considered to be mostly faithful to Rachmaninoff's intentions.

As for the "different" versions by Gauk and Lamm that sound identical, it's possible that these are simply different performances or recordings of the same reconstruction by Gunst. Conductors and orchestras can interpret and perform a piece of music in their own unique ways, but if the underlying reconstruction is the same, the versions should be very similar. It's also possible that there are slight variations in tempo, dynamics, or interpretation that can make different performances sound nearly identical.

-------

And of course one of the most significant events in the postwar reception of Rachmaninoff 's music in the USSR was the reconstruction of his First Symphony on the basis of the surviving orchestral parts by Aleksandr Ossovsky, Boris Shalman, and Aleksandr Gauk. Performed by the State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR and conducted by Gauk himself, the symphony was heard in the Main Hall of the Moscow Conservatory on 17 October 1945, almost fifty years after its disastrous premiere in March 1897. :o

who knows more? :o

Maestro267

Quote from: Harry on May 05, 2024, 06:02:01 AMFrank Bridge.
See back cover for details.

Wow, See back cover for details is a masterpiece. One of my favourites by him!  >:D

TD:

Bax: String Quartet No. 1
Maggini Quartet

Iota

Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No.2 in D minor

A bracing stroll through the wacky sideshows of Prokofiev's creative mind. A young Romanovsky with the beans and chops to make it an exciting one.

Harry

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 06, 2024, 03:36:31 AMWow, See back cover for details is a masterpiece. One of my favourites by him!  >:D

TD:

Bax: String Quartet No. 1
Maggini Quartet

I fail to see the joke in this! A back cover is just what it is, it tells you what's on it, those are the details.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

pjme

Benjamin Britten : Spring symphony
Frank Bridge: Enter spring

Two works I cherish.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

steve ridgway

Quote from: Harry on May 06, 2024, 03:50:51 AMI fail to see the joke in this! A back cover is just what it is, it tells you what's on it, those are the details.

LOL @Maestro267 was reading See back cover for details as the name of a composition - but this is more apparent to those acquainted with 20th century avant garde ;D .

steve ridgway

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 05, 2024, 11:19:33 PMThese Litton/RPO/Rachmaninov are very fine indeed - and almost never considered/mentioned when discussing the various sets and cycles.  But the same is true about Litton's Tchaikovsky in Bournemouth as well -really very good indeed.  FYI - in Rach. Symphony 1 Litton is one of the very few conductors to use all the percussion that Rachmaninov wrote for - it certainly changes the character ofsome passages.

Interesting - I haven't heard Symphony 1 yet but enjoyed this one 8) .

Bachtoven

Disc 2 from this superb set.
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Spotted Horses

Listened to the Morceux de Salon, Op 11 (first four pieces) from Ruth Laredo's Rachmaninoff set.

I guess this is "salon music," by definition. :) Nicely done.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 06, 2024, 07:23:28 AMDisc 2 from this superb set.

Seeing all of the mentions of this set, I feel compelled to listen. But Faure is so dense that it takes me a long time to make my way through recordings of his music, and I have so many Faure sets that I have not managed to listen to. This is another!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Absolutely excellent performances by seasoned chamber music veterans, and I wouldn't even know this recording existed without the chaotic search results possible on streaming platforms.

Ian

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2024, 02:36:59 AMGreat cover painting as well (Ravilious I think)
I know James Ravilious photography very well but I had no idea his father was also an artist. Thanks for that!!

Bachtoven

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 06, 2024, 07:36:24 AMSeeing all of the mentions of this set, I feel compelled to listen. But Faure is so dense that it takes me a long time to make my way through recordings of his music, and I have so many Faure sets that I have not managed to listen to. This is another!
Debargue mentions in his booklet notes that he had a hard time understanding Faure, too! One aspect that sets this recording apart from others is the 102 key piano made by  Stephen Paulello. that he plays!
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S