Chamber Symphony, Op. 110a
Royal Philharmonic
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 06, 2024, 11:33:53 AMAnd it's Maiden-Listen Monday!

I like people who like De Meij
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 in E Flat Major, 1878/80 Version (1880 with Bruckner's 1886 revisions) - Ed. Leopold Nowak, Martin Sieghart, Bruckner Orchester Linz

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 05, 2024, 04:29:53 PMHerrmann: Souvenirs de voyage, for clarinet quintet
I'm in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 06, 2024, 12:13:18 PMThe Wind Ensemble is the original. This is an arrangement for orchestra by Henk de Vlieger. I don't know why I took so long to listen to it, unless it is that I still hoped to compose a LOTR symphony myself and didn't want the external input. Perhaps now with the Shore soundtrack packaged as a symphony, there is no point in my supplying something for which there is no demand. The de Meij piece is superb, the Gollum scherzo especially. While obviously Shore's soundtrack suits the movies very nicely, I think I like de Meij's music better still.

It seems like a work that has been around forever, and I see it is around 40 years now. I think I got a Dutch Military Band recording from a record club, so it has been awhile. It was paired with Bilik's Symphony for Band, a tougher work.

Haven't heard the de Vlieger orchestration; may check it out.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
Life's Dance (Lebenstanz)
Poem of Life and Love
Irmelin: Suite
A Village Romeo and Juliet: Suite
RSNO - David Lloyd-Jones

More than once, the idea of Richard Strauss popped into my mind whilst listening.
VS

Eastcote (1913), Charles Pears

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on May 06, 2024, 03:01:55 PMIt seems like a work that has been around forever, and I see it is around 40 years now.
I really had no idea!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 06, 2024, 03:15:35 PMI really had no idea!

Nor I, until I thought it over (and, moreso, looked it up!) :)
VS

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Papandopulo: String Quartets 3, 5 and 6

I'm loving this set more and more. As in the first two quartets, the catchy, quirky ideas also abound in these three pieces. Pleasure and entertainment guaranteed.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Suppé: Overtures
Dutoit: OSM

It's nice to finally hear some of his less-known overtures. They are quite fun!

ritter

Quote from: brewski on May 06, 2024, 11:36:16 AMThis recital livestreamed yesterday from Wigmore Hall was a joy. Cédric Tiberghien was new to me, as well as to some friends, so we made it an afternoon (with margaritas for Cinco de Mayo).

I had never heard any of the youthful Beethoven variations (WoO, nos. 66, 71, 72, and 73) and if they aren't worth endless rehearings, they are certainly worth a listen. Interwoven came selections from Kurtág's Játékok and the complete Ligeti Musica ricercata. Bach's Aria variata BWV989 made an impressive finale to what one friend described as "a bonkers program."

-Bruce
Looks great!

Happy Cinco de Drinko, Bruce!

brewski

Quote from: ritter on May 06, 2024, 06:05:57 PMLooks great!

Happy Cinco de Drinko, Bruce!

;D  ;D  ;D

(Tequila wasn't exactly an appropriate match for the Austro-German-Hungarian program, but oh well.)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Quote from: ultralinear on May 06, 2024, 12:54:10 PMI understand he has something of an obsession both with sets of variations in general and Beethoven in particular, so I'm really looking forward to later this year when he'll be playing the Diabellis. :)

I think you will be in for a treat. He made these early variations (some might say "trifles") sound wonderful, which made the Bach even more majestic when it arrived. (Not to mention, the early Beethoven heightened appreciation for the more mature Beethoven.)

Not to oversell, but based on yesterday, I would pay attention to almost whatever he chose to do. His left-hand work in the Ligeti Musica ricercata No. 7 was really something. Not sure I recall anyone else playing that piece since Aimard.

-Bruce

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

brewski

Ligeti: Musica ricercata No. 7 (Pierre-Laurent Aimard). Just revisiting after hearing Cédric Tiberghien in the same piece yesterday. What a grueling three minutes for the left hand.

-Bruce

ritter

Quote from: brewski on May 06, 2024, 06:25:03 PMLigeti: Musica ricercata No. 7 (Pierre-Laurent Aimard). Just revisiting after hearing Cédric Tiberghien in the same piece yesterday. What a grueling three minutes for the left hand.

-Bruce
Was watching that exact same YT in my hotel room in Bloomington, Indiana some moments ago!  :)

brewski

Quote from: ritter on May 06, 2024, 06:31:26 PMWas watching that exact same YT in my hotel room in Bloomington, Indiana some moments ago!  :)

:o 

Wow! And it's really something. Prior to yesterday, I can't recall hearing any other pianist play the piece, either.

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Mapman on May 06, 2024, 05:59:39 PMSuppé: Overtures
Dutoit: OSM

It's nice to finally hear some of his less-known overtures. They are quite fun!

I love the Suppé overtures! I was raised on them (in part by the computer game Rollercoaster Tycoon, which plays "Poet and Peasant" on the merry-go-round). There are some hidden gem overtures like "In Fortune's Labyrinth" and "Tantalusqualen." There are some nice Mehta and Marriner albums and the Neeme Jarvi recording is surprisingly idiomatic.

EDIT: Oh and the Paul Paray Suppé/Auber album is sheer perfection.

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky