What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Que

Luca di Bernardino Boni organ (1574) of the San Domenica Church, Cortona.

Harry

Giovanni Gabrieli.
Canzoni, Toccatas, Ricercar, Mottetto.
The works are mentioned on the back cover.
Bruce Dickey & Doron Sherwin (Zink),Liuwe Tamminga, at the Organs of San Petronio Bologna.
No PDF file with this recording, meaning no details about the organs.

The reverberation of the San Petronio church is long, at least 6-8 seconds, which means the speeds must be adjusted accordingly, to avoid overlapping. It happens anyway, a bit disconcerting that is. But the Organs Tamminga is using sound all fantastic, although the acoustics is not helping in perceiving a clear image of them. The Pieces for Zinc and Organ I found unnecessary especially when Bruce Dickey, already recorded a CD with some of these works on the same label. I am not a great fan of the instrument. The sound is as good as they could get it, the detail is a bit lost. A pity. A one time listen.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Ligeti: Étude Nr. 1 ("Harmonies")

steve ridgway

Madiel

What I will be trying to listen to ASAP: something by Falla because I've just seen his tomb 2 minutes ago.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

A defense of the Bass viol.
Defense of the Viola da Gamba against the attacks of the Violin and the presumption of the Cello.
CD 1. A Monument to Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe.  A defence of the Bass Viol.
CD 2. The ventures of the Violin.
CD 3. The pretensions of the Violoncello.
RICERCAR CONSORT.
Recorded: Tombeau of Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe: Bolland, Saint-Apollinaire church, 1992, Bass Viol Defense and Violin Companies, Bolland, Saint-Apollinaire church, 1993.

Well done, and beautifully recorded.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

More Beethoven this morning - Chamber Works below with period and modern instrument performances - Dave :)

Brian

First-ever listen to the Busoni violin concerto, and then I'll try the Brahms because Dego is coming to Dallas next February to play it (coupled to Bruckner 7):

Bachtoven

In honor of the birthday boy. Excellent playing and sound.
Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Brian

Quote from: Brian on May 07, 2024, 07:16:24 AMFirst-ever listen to the Busoni violin concerto, and then I'll try the Brahms because Dego is coming to Dallas next February to play it (coupled to Bruckner 7):

Oh cool, I didn't realize it was Brahms' birthday! Even better.

The Busoni piece is interesting. It's short - 23 minutes - and full of bustling energy and cool ideas, especially the finale. There really isn't much in terms of melodic material anywhere, but it doesn't matter because the hustle and bustle are so entertaining by themselves. And the violin certainly gets lots of virtuoso display. Quite an interesting novelty with a terrific finale.

The Brahms performance here is unusual and distinctive. Although the tempos are not slow, the performance feels "casual" in a way - not profound or grandiose. I think this is because, at a relatively lively basic tempo, the players still phrase things in a rather relaxed manner, what you might call "balletic" if this was Tchaikovsky or "chamber-like" if it was Beethoven. Since Brahms does not usually get this treatment my vocabulary is confused.  ;D  Also, Dego is a little more like an early-20th-century violinist in that she chooses more deliberately when to apply vibrato for expressive effect, and is capable of varying her tone. (Though her tone never gets as big or rich as someone like Shaham.)

EDIT: The Brahms uses the Busoni cadenza including drum rolls!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on May 06, 2024, 06:31:26 PMWas watching that exact same YT in my hotel room in Bloomington, Indiana some moments ago!  :)
Quote from: brewski on May 06, 2024, 06:34:01 PM:o 

Wow! And it's really something. Prior to yesterday, I can't recall hearing any other pianist play the piece, either.

-Bruce
Cool piece!  I hadn't heard that work before now.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on May 07, 2024, 01:31:17 AMWhat I will be trying to listen to ASAP: something by Falla because I've just seen his tomb 2 minutes ago.
Hope that you are enjoying your trip!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Ligeti: String Quartet II

ultralinear

Quote from: brewski on May 06, 2024, 06:34:01 PMWow! And it's really something. Prior to yesterday, I can't recall hearing any other pianist play the piece, either.

-Bruce

Interesting how Aimard's playing is softer, almost romantic, where Tiberghien was more hard driven. Like Sandor vs Kocsis in Bartok perhaps.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 06, 2024, 06:47:10 PMI love the Suppé overtures! I was raised on them (in part by the computer game Rollercoaster Tycoon, which plays "Poet and Peasant" on the merry-go-round). There are some hidden gem overtures like "In Fortune's Labyrinth" and "Tantalusqualen." There are some nice Mehta and Marriner albums and the Neeme Jarvi recording is surprisingly idiomatic.

EDIT: Oh and the Paul Paray Suppé/Auber album is sheer perfection.

Dutoit strikes me as too tame.

I'm sure Paray is great (I haven't heard it) but my standard is Solti, either the more widely heard Wiener Philharmoniker recordings, or the earlier London Philharmonic recordings (mono).

I'm not sure if the LPO recording has been on CD.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 07, 2024, 08:59:39 AMDutoit strikes me as too tame.

I'm sure Paray is great (I haven't heard it) but my standard is Solti, either the more widely heard Wiener Philharmoniker recordings, or the earlier London Philharmonic recordings (mono).

I'm not sure if the LPO recording has been on CD.
Solti/Vienna is what I grew up with. Fast, splashy, exciting, still my measuring stick. Only Paray and Jarvi really measure up. Also one of my three or four favorite Solti records - between him and Neeme, I wonder if people notorious for their speed/energy at the expense of expression are actually perfect for this kind of music.

Madiel

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 07, 2024, 08:01:41 AMHope that you are enjoying your trip!

PD

Mostly yes. I'd think I'd be enjoying even more of it there hadn't been road works (specifically DRILLING) just outside my hotel room at 2:25am on Sunday. That wasn't a pleasant experience and my system hasn't fully recovered.

Falla is clearly a favourite son of Cádiz, the rather imposing theatre is named after him.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on May 07, 2024, 09:49:04 AMMostly yes. I'd think I'd be enjoying even more of it there hadn't been road works (specifically DRILLING) just outside my hotel room at 2:25am on Sunday. That wasn't a pleasant experience and my system hasn't fully recovered.

Falla is clearly a favourite son of Cádiz, the rather imposing theatre is named after him.
Perhaps it might be a prudent idea to get some sort of ear protection to dampen outside noises?  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Linz

Muzio Clementi Symphony No.1 in C major wo32, Symphony in B flat major Op.18 and Symphony in D major Op.18, London Mozart Players, Matthias Barnet