What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Spotted Horses and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

My first listen ever to one of Debussy's greatest works according to many connoisseurs. I was expecting something like what I heard: perfumed, subtle, delicate music for the most part. Whilst the music is nice and good, I don't connect with this sort of style very much.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 07, 2024, 03:43:01 PMMy first listen ever to one of Debussy's greatest works according to many connoisseurs. I was expecting something like what I heard: perfumed, subtle, delicate music for the most part. Whilst the music is nice and good, I don't connect with this sort of style very much.

No, it's a kind of "Anti-opera," understated setting of the text of the play.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 03:40:33 PMBecause I keep posting that I need to revisit these:

Vagn Holmboe
Symphony № 1, Op. 4 / M. 85 (1936)
Lean, jaunty, compact. Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 03:45:18 PMNo, it's a kind of "Anti-opera," understated setting of the text of the play.

It has to do more with Debussy's musical language. I've never been properly a fan of his music, but don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some of his works, but I'm less keen on his more markedly 'ethereal-sounding' pieces. If you ask me, I much prefer Ravel over him.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Vagn Holmboe
Chamber Concerto № 1, Op. 17 / M. 113 (1939)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 07, 2024, 03:55:50 PMIt has to do more with Debussy's musical language. I've never been properly a fan of his music, but don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some of his works, but I'm less keen on his more markedly 'ethereal-sounding' pieces. If you ask me, I much prefer Ravel over him.
I love Debussy, but do not often revisit Pelléas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 03:56:34 PMVagn Holmboe

A chamber piano concerto in two "lopsided" movements, Molto moderato (not to give the composer a hard time, but that almost seems an oxymoron to me) and Molto Allegro. Musically no great distance from the first Symphony, though the Molto moderato has some pastoral elements.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 03:40:33 PMBecause I keep posting that I need to revisit these:

Vagn Holmboe
Symphony № 1, Op. 4 / M. 85 (1936)

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 03:56:34 PMVagn Holmboe

Overall, fairly Hindemithian, which suits me fine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

And now, a change of pace:

"Il Prete rosso"

Concerto for Piccolo, Strings and Continuo in C RV 443
Wm Helm, picc
NY Phil
Lenny
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

The Schubert is missable, the Vasks is certainly excellent.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 07, 2024, 03:43:01 PMMy first listen ever to one of Debussy's greatest works according to many connoisseurs. I was expecting something like what I heard: perfumed, subtle, delicate music for the most part. Whilst the music is nice and good, I don't connect with this sort of style very much.

Your reaction is also mine: Schoenberg's tone-poem by the same name is more my speed.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on May 07, 2024, 04:37:21 PMYour reaction is also mine: Schoenberg's tone-poem by the same name is more my speed.

That is hazy too, although regarding the harmony it has a more positive effect on me as well.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Symphonic Addict

Gershwin: Piano Concerto

Not the best cover art, but the performance is stellar and that's what matters. There is no other concerto like this one.

Sessions: The Black Maskers

This is an astonishing work in every respect. A succulent suite loaded with alluring spice. More of this, please!

Noam Chomsky

JBS

SQs 15 in F, 17 in D, 18 in e minor
Then from the Decca Haebler set

The Trout Quintet by itself, with the members of the Grumiaux Trio credited individually, and a much nicer image on the CD jacket.

But conversely for this the original LP jacket on Amazon is much better than the actual CD jacket.
And so to bed.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AnotherSpin

Glass FX

Glass
Violin Concerto No. 2, "The American Four Seasons"
Robert McDuffie, violin
London Philharmonic
Alsop

Glass FX

I can certainly understand how this opera doesn't connect with you and many other listeners, too. I suppose I acquired the taste years ago and it has become one of my favorite operatic works. Later in this thread, you mentioned you didn't connect with the haziness of the music itself, but you see, that's what I love about it --- the ambiguity and overall mystery of the music. Of course, I don't really have to tell you because you probably already know by now that Debussy is one of my absolute favorite composers.

classicalgeek

Over the last week or so:

J.S. Bach
Partitas nos. 3, 5, 6
Angela Hewitt, piano

(on CD)

Mozart
Mass in C major, K 317 'Coronation'
Missa Brevis, K 220
Ave Verum Corpus
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
various soloists and choirs
Rafael Kubelik

(on CD)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Robin is to the greenwood Gone,
Elizabethan Lute Music.
Paul O'Dette, Lute.
Recorded in 1987.
Since there is no PDF file attached to this CD, I have no details about venue, or Lutes used.
Works performed are on the back cover.

This recording appears to be typical of 1990's recordings, in that the recording volume is set quite low, and I mean really low. But the sound is very good, as is the performance. O'Dette moves from sensitive to forceful,   shows restraint, applies academic intellectualism and passion, as I expect from him. If you can get this CD, I would say buy it. 50 minutes of music is not much, but the rewards are great.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."