What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Ligeti: Cello Concerto

I'm currently re-tagging and loading my old favourite composers back onto my music player after starting again with some 100 albums in the big Boulez and Reiner boxes followed by R. Strauss, a lot of Messiaen and a few other things along the way. Using the Artist tag for composer and Album tag to combine work, artist and date e.g. Cello Concerto (De Leeuw, 2001) suits me fine, my main aim is to identify duplicate recordings among the endless recycling of classical music in new packaging >:( .

steve ridgway

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 07, 2024, 03:43:01 PMMy first listen ever to one of Debussy's greatest works according to many connoisseurs. I was expecting something like what I heard: perfumed, subtle, delicate music for the most part. Whilst the music is nice and good, I don't connect with this sort of style very much.

I've only listened to it once so far but found it very absorbing to follow the lyrics with a translation and let it stimulate my imagination, like experiencing someone else's dream 8) .

Que

Quote from: Harry on May 07, 2024, 10:44:15 PMRobin is to the greenwood Gone,
Elizabethan Lute Music.
Paul O'Dette, Lute.
Recorded in 1987.
Since there is no PDF file attached to this CD, I have no details about venue, or Lutes used.
Works performed are on the back cover.

This recording appears to be typical of 1990's recordings, in that the recording volume is set quite low, and I mean really low. But the sound is very good, as is the performance. O'Dette moves from sensitive to forceful,  shows restraint, applies academic intellectualism and passion, as I expect from him. If you can get this CD, I would say buy it. 50 minutes of music is not much, but the rewards are great.

I encountered it streaming and love it. One of O'Dette's best.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ian on May 06, 2024, 07:55:42 AMI know James Ravilious photography very well but I had no idea his father was also an artist. Thanks for that!!

He was a very fine landscape and war artist who was killed on a reconnaissance mission in World War Two near Iceland:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ravilious
Nowadays his work often features on greetings cards. The Towner Gallery in Eastbourne features some of his work, which I saw a while back.
https://townereastbourne.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/ravilious-gallery-and-collection-library
See third picture down.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 05, 2024, 08:56:16 AMHi Irons,

Well, after digging around (both in LPs and CDs), no Bax Cello Sonata.  :(  I did find it on Youtube though (with Bernard Gregor-Smith and Yolande Wrigley which I think someone here posted listening to recently as the cover looked familiar).

I've been enjoying it.  :)  Perfect music for a rainy/cloudy day.

PD

Florence Hooton and Wilfrid Parry recorded the Cello Sonata and Legend-Sonata for Lyrita. The mono sound is dry but I actually prefer this as I believe it to be more authentic.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Michael Praetorius.
Dances from Terpsichore, 1612.
New London Consort, Philip Pickett.
Recording venue: Henry Wood Hall, London, March 1985.

This is still the best recording of these dances. It has never been challenged by any other recording to this date. It has SOTA sound (1985) and the sheer creativity and choice of instruments has no equal. It is a feast to listen to this performance, I am still thrilled listening to it. YAY.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 07, 2024, 04:12:22 PMA chamber piano concerto in two "lopsided" movements, Molto moderato (not to give the composer a hard time, but that almost seems an oxymoron to me) and Molto Allegro. Musically no great distance from the first Symphony, though the Molto moderato has some pastoral elements.

Holmboe is in good company, actually: Schubert used the same marking for the first movement of D960.  ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

classicalgeek

Prokofiev
Symphony no. 2
Symphony no. 6
Scottish National Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi

(on CD)

I believe this is my first time listening to the Second - it's not the easiest on the ears, but Jarvi and the Scots make a good case for it. The Sixth might be my favorite Prokofiev symphony, and this is a fantastic performance.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Harry

Carl Heinrich Reinecke.
Cello sonatas Nr.1-3.
Claudius Herrmann & Saiko Sasaki.
See details of works and recording on back cover.

Reinecke's cello sonatas, published between 1855 and 1898, belong to the most important contributions to this genre, which was rather sparsely considered in the 19th century, and stylistically they bridge the gap between Mendelssohn, in whose year of death the first was begun, to Brahms, to whose memory the third is dedicated. It is the most ardent romantic music one can hear from this period.  Fresh, gripping, technically high-level playing. The performances are absolutely sensational, the recording quality is stunning.  One of the best recital disc I've heard in quite some time.

akebergv

Quote from: Que on May 07, 2024, 11:18:07 PMRobin is to the greenwood Gone
Thanks for the recommendation! Another O'Dette recording I love and have listened to a lot is Bach Lute works, vol. 1 from 2007. Ever since then I have been waiting in vain for vol. 2 to appear. Anyone knows anything about this, why it never appeared (or if it's out and I've missed it)?

Maestro267

The revival of this composer's thread has inspired me to listen to some of the symphones today.

Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 10 & 8
Aarhus SO/OA Hughes

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Mozart
Piano concertos #20 & #21
Perahia, English Chamber Orch.

Goody!
Very Goody!

:)
Olivier

Harry

BLOCH, Ernest (1880-1959)

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra.
Oleh Krysa, Violin.

Poems of the Sea.
Suite symphonique.

Malmö Symphony Orchestra Sakari Oramo.
Recorded: 1993-1994 at the Malmö Concert Hall, Sweden.

Excellent performance and sound.

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on May 08, 2024, 03:34:42 AMBLOCH, Ernest (1880-1959)

Concerto for Violin and Orchestra.
Oleh Krysa, Violin.

Poems of the Sea.
Suite symphonique.

Malmö Symphony Orchestra Sakari Oramo.
Recorded: 1993-1994 at the Malmö Concert Hall, Sweden.

Excellent performance and sound.
A great Bloch CD!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

BORODIN, Alexandr Porfiryevich (1833-1887)

Symphony No.1 in E flat major & Symphony No.2 in B major.
In the Steppes of Central Asia.
Malmö Symphony Orchestra, Jun'ichi Hirokami.
Recorded: 1989-1990, Malmö Concert Hall, Sweden.

An oldie, but still a reference if it comes to these Works.

Karl Henning

Vagn Holmboe
String Quartet № 1, Op. 46 / M. 159 (1948-49)
Kontra Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AnotherSpin

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on May 07, 2024, 01:46:38 PMI thought they only do that here in Florida.

I have sat in a traffic jam here on I-95 because of construction at midnight on a Saturday.

TD
Wilson seems to have a special gift for music for strings.

I like how they designed the cover of that...rather like a crossword puzzle.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Glass FX

NP:

Britten
String Quartet No. 2 in C, Op. 36
Brodsky Quartet

From this 2-CD set -

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 08, 2024, 06:12:12 AMI like how they designed the cover of that...rather like a crossword puzzle.  :)
Love the Enescu Octet. And I see the Bacewicz Concerto for Strings is on YouTube.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot