What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Karl Henning and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Exceptional Paganini Rhapsody in top-notch sound. This whole twofer is a peach of a sleeper.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on May 08, 2024, 06:40:17 AM

Exceptional Paganini Rhapsody in top-notch sound. This whole twofer is a peach of a sleeper.  8)
Nice! I've also been revisiting:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Rachmaninoff, Etudes-Tableaux, Ruth Laredo

Continuing my exploration of this set from Laredo, The Etudes-Tableaux are delightful character pieces and Laredo's performances are superb, as usual.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 08, 2024, 05:41:30 AMVagn Holmboe
String Quartet № 1, Op. 46 / M. 159 (1948-49)
Kontra Quartet
As it happened, I listen to this just on the heels of "Papa's" 50th Symphony. In contrast both to Haydn and to the earlier Symphony and Chamber Concerto Nos. 1, the opening Affettuoso has quite a Bartókian sinuosity. Very strong.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 08, 2024, 06:47:53 AMNice! I've also been revisiting:
That cover made me ponder (of La Reine)...thinking of the mother telling her child, "Come on.  Get off the throne and now!  The Snow Queen could be back--soon--and will not be pleased to see you sitting on her throne!"

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Glass FX

NP:

Walton
String Quartet in A minor
Gabrieli String Quartet

Brian

Morning playlist while working:

from the Saint-Saens edition on Warner, the symphonic poems, including "La Foi" (with Dervaux for the famous ones and Plasson for La Foi)

then this

Visions fugitives (arr. Barshai)
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 (arr. Kaipainen)
Arensky Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky (arr. by the composer from String Quartet No. 2)
Tchaikovsky Elegy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 08, 2024, 07:04:40 AMAs it happened, I listen to this just on the heels of "Papa's" 50th Symphony. In contrast both to Haydn and to the earlier Symphony and Chamber Concerto Nos. 1, the opening Affettuoso has quite a Bartókian sinuosity. Very strong.

And to reinforce the Bartók connection, the second movement appears to be an arch form: Adagio–Andante–Presto–Andante–Adagio.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: Brian on May 08, 2024, 07:21:21 AMMorning playlist while working:

from the Saint-Saens edition on Warner, the symphonic poems, including "La Foi" (with Dervaux for the famous ones and Plasson for La Foi)

then this

Visions fugitives (arr. Barshai)
Scriabin Preludes Op 11 (arr. Kaipainen)
Arensky Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky (arr. by the composer from String Quartet No. 2)
Tchaikovsky Elegy

For anyone else who owns a physical copy of that BIS album, the second guy from the left is blinking in the ecopak's group photo of the Ostrobothnian players.

Karl Henning

Vagn Holmboe
Symphony № 2, Op. 15 / M. 107 (1938-9)
Chamber Concerto № 2, Op. 20 / M. 120 (1940)
String Quartet № 2, Op. 47 / M. 161 (1949)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I really like cd 1 of this set:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on May 08, 2024, 08:53:04 AMI really like cd 1 of this set:

Based on 15 second listening to the first track, that is amazing!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 07, 2024, 10:59:12 PMI've only listened to it once so far but found it very absorbing to follow the lyrics with a translation and let it stimulate my imagination, like experiencing someone else's dream 8) .

Reading the libretto helps to enjoy better an opera, certainly. In my case I don't do it. Given my temperament and personality, I want to feel certain intensity when listening to music (hence why I LOVE Nielsen's music, for instance), something that Debussy's music lacks (not always, but often it does).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Pelleas und Melisande

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

brewski

Dvořák: String Quartet No. 1 (Zemlinsky Quartet). At my request, an acquaintance sent me his doctoral thesis on the 14 string quartets, so I'm going to listen to those that I don't know that well, and dip into his comments. Like many people, I've heard No. 12 (the "American") more than the others, so I want to remedy that.

So far, No. 1 is as charming as any of them.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Bachtoven

I finished this set today. For someone who wasn't originally attracted to Faure's music, Debargue certainly plays him well.

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

vandermolen

Sibelius: Kullervo Symphony
Danish NRSO/Segerstam

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Yet another first listen ever to a very famous opera and I saw myself enjoying it immensely, much more than the Debussy. Great music, nothing but good humor and wit.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky