What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Holbein and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Vagn Holmboe
Symphony № 3, Op. 25 / M. 126 « iSinfonia rustica » (1941)
Chamber Concerto № 3, Op. 21 / M. 121 (1940-42)
String Quartet № 3, Op. 48 / M. 165 (1949-50)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

I couldn't attend the local orchestra's performance on Beethoven's 9th.  I'm glad I didn't buy tickets.  I had to be up earlier than usual for extra work.

But I'll make up for it now by listening to Dausgaard's LvB 9:

Iota

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 08, 2024, 09:44:41 AMBased on 15 second listening to the first track, that is amazing!

The harmonies in the last minute of that opening D major prelude are extraordinary! And the change of registration halfway through the chorale on the following track is magical. Don't have much more time to listen tonight, but a very promising start, great recommendation, @DavidW!

Linz

Henryk Mikołaj Górecki Symphony No. 3, Stefania Woytowicz, Three Pieces in Olden Style, Karol Teutsch & Amen for Choir, Stefania Woytowicz, Warsaw National Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra of Katowice & The Poznan Boys' Choir)

SonicMan46

Beethoven - String Trios - MIs vs. PIs, both excellent - Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Linz on May 08, 2024, 12:51:12 PMHenryk Mikołaj Górecki Symphony No. 3, Stefania Woytowicz, Three Pieces in Olden Style, Karol Teutsch & Amen for Choir, Stefania Woytowicz, Warsaw National Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra, Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra of Katowice & The Poznan Boys' Choir)

I haven't heard that recording, but do enjoy that symphony.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Anton Webern
Passacaglia
Symphony

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

DavidW

Quote from: Iota on May 08, 2024, 12:49:16 PMThe harmonies in the last minute of that opening D major prelude are extraordinary! And the change of registration halfway through the chorale on the following track is magical. Don't have much more time to listen tonight, but a very promising start, great recommendation, @DavidW!

Funny enough I found that set because I loved the Bach in Solaris and I listened to literally every single recording I could find to identify the one had the most emotional resonance with me. This as the one. But the whole set is great!

Brian

Quote from: brewski on May 08, 2024, 10:49:06 AMDvořák: String Quartet No. 1 (Zemlinsky Quartet). At my request, an acquaintance sent me his doctoral thesis on the 14 string quartets, so I'm going to listen to those that I don't know that well, and dip into his comments. Like many people, I've heard No. 12 (the "American") more than the others, so I want to remedy that.

So far, No. 1 is as charming as any of them.

-Bruce

The opening melody of No. 10 has recently become one of my favorite moments in all music. A tune that captures such a specific, complex, relaxed but wistful and a little sad emotion - like the best things, it stands outside of the realm of words.

But you have eight more to go before then! Enjoy!  8)

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on May 08, 2024, 12:40:06 PMI couldn't attend the local orchestra's performance on Beethoven's 9th.  I'm glad I didn't buy tickets.  I had to be up earlier than usual for extra work.

But I'll make up for it now by listening to Dausgaard's LvB 9:

Connection errors. Thank you Qobuz. I ended up listening to

brewski

Quote from: Brian on May 08, 2024, 02:34:28 PMThe opening melody of No. 10 has recently become one of my favorite moments in all music. A tune that captures such a specific, complex, relaxed but wistful and a little sad emotion - like the best things, it stands outside of the realm of words.

But you have eight more to go before then! Enjoy!  8)

Well, based on this comment — coupled with Fate and whim — they may be listened to in non-chronological order.  ;D

I am pretty sure I've never heard No. 10.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Bachtoven

No.5 and 6 from this excellent set. Great playing, and the sound is very good...if a little too reverberant.

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Cato

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 08, 2024, 01:03:02 PMAnton Webern
Passacaglia
Symphony

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

That set is an all-around fave!

Earlier today...

...and then...a MIDI realization of the latest revision of the Finale to Bruckner's Ninth Symphony, which will soon be played several times this year and next year (See Bruckner's Abbey for the latest news.) 

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,29.4260.html

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

VonStupp

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
Mass in E-flat Major, op. 80
Te Deum in D Major
Quod in Orbe, op. 88

Susan Gritton, soprano; Ann Murray, mezzo
James Gilchrist, tenor; Stephen Varcoe, baritone
Collegium Musicum 90 - Richard Hickox

If I liked the first volume of Hickox's Hummel series, I'm into this second volume even more.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Bachtoven

I think he's an author, too.  :)

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Scriabin sonatas. Igor Zhukov.

Symphonic Addict

Yun: Concertino for accordion and string quartet

One of the most interesting pieces that feature the accordion I have ever heard. Yun's lyricism could be a little coarse or tough, but I like it.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Mapman

Haydn: String Quartet Op. 77/2
Festetics

The middle movements are especially wonderful.

Bachtoven

Beethoven's late sonatas receive tremendous performances captured in excellent sound.