What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Sulek: Symphony No. 6 (Sulek, Zagreb Radio and Television S.O.)

Several years ago I came across this Croatian composer and he's been a major discovery since then. This symphony (from 1966), as the other seven, has a lot to say. Modern, turbulent, dark yet totally approachable, even sounding close to late-Romanticism in some places. Also, he knew how to orchestrate and this work shows it. The ending is pretty interesting, but I'm not going to spoil that part (in fact, I don't like reviews that explain a work with many details, it's like to spoil a movie which I want to watch only with the synopsis beforehand).

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

steve ridgway

Ligeti: Double Concerto

Que

Morning listening:

Very nice.

Que

Played on the ancient organ (1509) of the San Francesco Church in Trevi, Umbria, built by Paolo Pietro di Paolo di Montefalco.

Iota

Quote from: DavidW on May 08, 2024, 02:31:54 PMFunny enough I found that set because I loved the Bach in Solaris and I listened to literally every single recording I could find to identify the one had the most emotional resonance with me. This as the one. But the whole set is great!

Nice tale. Satisfying when one's persistence is rewarded.
For the past two or three months I've been looking for a complete Bach organ set to slowly work through, but none I tried had really lit the fuse for me. So your posting of this recording was a timely one and felt very right for me too. I'm sure there are lots of other great sets out there, but for now this suits me perfectly. : )

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Stenhammar / String Qt No.4 to start the day.

Olivier

Que

Performances are slow with theatrics pushed too far. Solos seem to be done by choir members with varying results. No match for competing recordings by Niquet (Dies Irae) and Christie. Dissapointing... but the bar has been set high.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/May/Lully-motets-CVS032.htm

AnotherSpin

Que

Todd

Wrapping up a listen to an owned copy of this set.  Fantastic, of course.  This is likely the last version I of these works I will buy.  I listen to them infrequently and do not collect cello works in high volume.  I can't rule out buying a new set, particularly as part of some big box.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 08, 2024, 06:37:32 PMSulek: Symphony No. 6 (Sulek, Zagreb Radio and Television S.O.)

Several years ago I came across this Croatian composer and he's been a major discovery since then. This symphony (from 1966), as the other seven, has a lot to say. Modern, turbulent, dark yet totally approachable, even sounding close to late-Romanticism in some places. Also, he knew how to orchestrate and this work shows it. The ending is pretty interesting, but I'm not going to spoil that part (in fact, I don't like reviews that explain a work with many details, it's like to spoil a movie which I want to watch only with the synopsis beforehand).

Where is this set available?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Continuing with Rachmaninoff Etudes tableaux, Op 39, the first three. No 2 is just exquisite.

Laredo is great, as usual.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Vagn Holmboe
Symphony № 4, Op. 29 / M. 132 « Sinfonia sacra » (1941)
Chamber Concerto № 4, Op. 30 / M. 139 (1942)
String Quartet № 4, Op. 63 / M. 183 (1953-54)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 09, 2024, 05:35:28 AMWhere is this set available?

Unfortunately not available on Amazon or other big platforms. The only webpage I could find is this.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2024, 08:13:15 AMUnfortunately not available on Amazon or other big platforms. The only webpage I could find is this.

I will look into it. I did find some recordings of individual symphonies streaming.

DavidW

Quote from: Que on May 09, 2024, 03:04:28 AM

Performances are slow with theatrics pushed too far. Solos seem to be done by choir members with varying results. No match for competing recordings by Niquet (Dies Irae) and Christie. Dissapointing... but the bar has been set high.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/May/Lully-motets-CVS032.htm

It is one of Lully's pieces that has been frequently recorded, which is a good thing.  I want to listen to Herreweghe soon.  I like Alarcon.

Henk

Strong composition and a strong performance, I would say fierce and it fits the piece.

Henk

Continueing my re-exploration of Italian classical music.

T. D.

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 08, 2024, 03:57:12 PMI think he's an author, too.  :)

OMG, I've got to hear this!
I think Burgess was a brilliant writer. Although I didn't love everything that I read, the high points are high indeed.

Also the newly discovered string quartet https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/nov/19/newly-discovered-string-quartet-by-clockwork-orange-author-anthony-burgess-to-have-premiere

Que

Quote from: DavidW on May 09, 2024, 08:59:02 AMIt is one of Lully's pieces that has been frequently recorded, which is a good thing.  I want to listen to Herreweghe soon.  I like Alarcon.

Both excellent conductors. I need to explore Alarcon more.