What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses, Linz, Daverz and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Maestro267

Still: Africa, symphonic poem
Fort Smith Symphony/Jeter

Definitely getting Grofe/Gershwin vibes from this music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 10, 2024, 07:27:43 AMStill: Africa, symphonic poem
Fort Smith Symphony/Jeter

Definitely getting Grofe/Gershwin vibes from this music.
Zeitgeist
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Purcell, Henry (1659-1695) - selections from the 7-disc Belder box w/ Musica Amphion.

Fitzwilliam Virginal Book - Bull & Farnaby, V. 4 w/ Pieter-Jan Belder, just up to this volume - now offered as a complete 15-CD box - Belder is the 'energizer bunny' of making CDs with well over 200 'items' (according to HERE which may not be up to date?).  Dave

Bachtoven

Excellent playing and sound, but a 30 minute playing time is ridiculously short. Surely he played some other works. (Qobuz 24/192)

Iota

Debussy: Trois Nocturnes

What a magical and haunting work this is. Boulez and co. are superb.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Bachtoven

Selig

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2024, 01:46:13 AM 

Sorry for reposting! But I still saved for later listening some of the organ pieces that were together with vocal pieces published in 1601 as the collection "Lustgarten - Neuer Teutscher Gesäng, Balletti, Galliarden und Intraden". Played on the ancient organ (1509) of the San Francesco Church in Trevi, Umbria, built by Paolo Pietro di Paolo di Montefalco.

These posts have inspired me to take on this beast, listening to CD1 now.

Truth is, Tomadin's prolificity has made it difficult to select one item to focus on. His Erbach and Martini sets were released in the same year as the Hassler, so that's three different ten-hour releases just in 2022...

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 10, 2024, 07:49:07 AMBelder is the 'energizer bunny' of making CDs with well over 200 'items' (according to

He has produced more recordings than those listed; his works for Et Cetera and Erasmus, for instance, are not included.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Lisztianwagner

Hector Berlioz
Symphonie Fantastique

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Florestan

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 10, 2024, 10:13:59 AMHis fanboys?  :)

That's exactly what crossed my mind when posting, but then again how many fanboys can this Nicolas Who have?  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Beethoven - Meeresstille und glückliche Fahrt, Op. 112
&
Mahler - Adagio M10

(Boulez)

Olivier

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, 1891 Vienna Revision by Bruckner himself. Ed. Guenter Brosche, The 1865 Scherzo, Bruckner Orchester Linz, Markus Poschner

T. D.

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2024, 10:05:22 AMI wonder who pays for that. [30 minute playing time]

They could price it accordingly. I've seen British Progressive Jazz, for instance, release really short CDs (granted, based on old tapes) at lower prices. Downloads could be priced the same way. But I'm not sufficiently interested to investigate how Mr. van Poucke's recordings are being offered.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Quote from: Selig on May 10, 2024, 10:23:32 AMThese posts have inspired me to take on this beast, listening to CD1 now.

Truth is, Tomadin's prolificity has made it difficult to select one item to focus on. His Erbach and Martini sets were released in the same year as the Hassler, so that's three different ten-hour releases just in 2022...

It's indeed a bit crazy how Brilliant keeps churning these out...  8)

Fortunately the level of dedication and preparation doesn't make it sound like a rushed job at all. But I try to pace the intake...

Papy Oli

Boulez conducts Ravel:

Olivier

AnotherSpin

Bachtoven

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2024, 10:35:13 AMThat's exactly what crossed my mind when posting, but then again how many fanboys can this Nicolas Who have?  :laugh:
His Schumann recordings have received rave reviews, so I imagine there are a few.

Bachtoven

Quote from: T. D. on May 10, 2024, 11:15:28 AMThey could price it accordingly. I've seen British Progressive Jazz, for instance, release really short CDs (granted, based on old tapes) at lower prices. Downloads could be priced the same way. But I'm not sufficiently interested to investigate how Mr. van Poucke's recordings are being offered.
That's the beauty of streaming a recording...the cost is virtually nothing.