What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

classicalgeek

Elgar
*Violin Concerto
*Interlude from 'Crown of India'
Polonia
*Tasmin Little, violin
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Sir Andrew Davis

(on CD)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major. 1885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak, Bruckner Orchestra Linz, Kurt Eichhorn

Lisztianwagner

Richard Wagner
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Herbert von Karajan & Staatskapelle Dresden

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Que

Linz

Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Op. 109, Op. 110 and Op. 111, Saviatoslav Richter

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Time to reacquaint myself with Widor's Organ Symphonies. Today Nos. 1 and 2.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Linz

Antonin Dvořák Symphony No.7 In D Minor, Op.70, and Symphony No.9 in E Minor, Op.95 'From the New World' Rafael Kubelik, Wiener Philharmoniker

Uhor

JBS

Warner Andsnes box, CD 13

This was apparently a popular release, since Virgin/EMI re-issued it both individually and as part of its Virgin Double CD series.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Sibelius: String Quartets, JS 184 and 183 (Sibelius Academy SQ)

His first two string quartets. The first one in E-flat major sounds pretty classical in style, somewhat close to Haydn and Mozart, whilst the second one has more romantic elements, not properly distinctive yet pretty attractive overall.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

I love this LP, so I was thrilled to find it on Qobuz. (The LP still sounds richer and more realistic, but the FLAC version sounds very good.)

JBS

Mapman

Richard Rodney Bennett: Concerto for solo percussion and chamber orchestra
Glennie; Daniel: Scottish Chamber Orchestra

Quite interesting, especially since most of the percussion is unpitched.

Brahms: Symphony #2
Boult: LPO

An overall excellent performance, only slightly let down by the final movement.

Bachtoven

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on May 13, 2024, 03:42:58 PMWarner Andsnes box, CD 13

This was apparently a popular release, since Virgin/EMI re-issued it both individually and as part of its Virgin Double CD series.
When did he record it?  Would be interested in hearing it; that said, I have high standards (Firkusny).  ;)  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 06:22:15 PMWhen did he record it?  Would be interested in hearing it; that said, I have high standards (Firkusny).  ;)  ;D

PD

April and December 1990, at the Maltings, Snape.

He recorded the Violin Sonata with Christian Tzetlaff, but no other Janacek that I can see other than this CD.

I'm not really familiar enough with Janacek's music to say if this is worth seeking out.
But it is available on Youtube
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_li1sWzo3MsFc7I9vXRyUm3AhoiYmJU0BI&feature=shared