What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz, classicalgeek (+ 1 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Skogwald

Beautiful, amazing, incredible

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 13, 2024, 06:22:15 PMWhen did he record it?  Would be interested in hearing it; that said, I have high standards (Firkusny).  ;)  ;D

PD

Discogs says it was released in 1991.

https://www.discogs.com/master/965385-Leif-Ove-Andsnes-Jan%C3%A1%C4%8Dek-Piano-Sonata-1X1905-In-The-Mists-On-The-Overgrown-Path-Series-I

Irons

Brahms: Sonata No.1 for Viola and Piano.

A warm mellow piece from Brahms' Indian summer. Originally scored for clarinet and piano, I thought I would listen to that too for comparison. A recording by Jacques Lancelot (no kidding) and Annie D'Arco is again lovely. Viola or clarinet? I liked them both.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

AnotherSpin

Iota

On the radio:

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 2
Giorgi Gigashvili (piano)
BBC SO, Nil Venditti (conductor)

Composed at the age of 11 with a little help from dad, and based on piano sonatas by Raupach and Schobert. Nicely done by Gigashvili with some saucy little decorations. From such a concoction of input sources it sure is purdy.

vandermolen

Walter Kaufmann: Piano Concerto No.3
I found an inexpensive second-hand copy of this CD following Daverz's enthusiasm for it.
A most enjoyable discovery
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Never heard of Kaufmann- really an interesting figure: Thanks!

Walter Kaufmann (1907-1984) was a composer, conductor, ethnomusicologist, librettist and pedagogue. Born in Karlsbad, Bohemia (part of Austria-Hungary at the time), he initially made a promising start in Prague and then in Berlin. He was friends with Albert Einstein and married to a cousin of Franz Kafka. However, Kaufmann and his career fell victim to the Nazi regime, which forced dozens of Jewish musicians to leave Germany and go into exile. In Kaufmann's case – his family fled Nazi Germany in 1934 – it was Bombay, India, where he lived until independence.

Walter Kaufmann was music director at the All India Radio in Bombay from 1937 to 1946. He founded the Bombay Chamber Music Society together with Mehli Mehta, among others (Kaufmann also taught Zubin Metha, Mehli's son), conducted research into Indian and Asian music and published in magazines.

Kaufmann's intriguing and extensive oeuvre was largely forgotten in the decades that followed. His work was undervalued, and as a result no longer performed. Ironically, millions of Indians are familiar with one piece of his music – the signature tune he wrote for All India Radio in 1936 and which can still be heard every morning.

The artistic director of the ARC Ensemble, Simon Wynberg, mentions its striking originality as a hallmark of Walter Kaufmann's remarkable music. It contains fragments of Debussy, Bartók and Stravinsky, and references to Bohemian and klezmer music. The adventurous and accessible mix of Eastern and Western traditions has lost none of its modernity and persuasiveness, despite the eighty years since its first performance, as the album 'Walter Kaufmann: Chamber Works' shows.

Yet another cd to discover.

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on May 14, 2024, 02:23:06 AMNever heard of Kaufmann- really an interesting figure: Thanks!

Walter Kaufmann (1907-1984) was a composer, conductor, ethnomusicologist, librettist and pedagogue. Born in Karlsbad, Bohemia (part of Austria-Hungary at the time), he initially made a promising start in Prague and then in Berlin. He was friends with Albert Einstein and married to a cousin of Franz Kafka. However, Kaufmann and his career fell victim to the Nazi regime, which forced dozens of Jewish musicians to leave Germany and go into exile. In Kaufmann's case – his family fled Nazi Germany in 1934 – it was Bombay, India, where he lived until independence.

Walter Kaufmann was music director at the All India Radio in Bombay from 1937 to 1946. He founded the Bombay Chamber Music Society together with Mehli Mehta, among others (Kaufmann also taught Zubin Metha, Mehli's son), conducted research into Indian and Asian music and published in magazines.

Kaufmann's intriguing and extensive oeuvre was largely forgotten in the decades that followed. His work was undervalued, and as a result no longer performed. Ironically, millions of Indians are familiar with one piece of his music – the signature tune he wrote for All India Radio in 1936 and which can still be heard every morning.

The artistic director of the ARC Ensemble, Simon Wynberg, mentions its striking originality as a hallmark of Walter Kaufmann's remarkable music. It contains fragments of Debussy, Bartók and Stravinsky, and references to Bohemian and klezmer music. The adventurous and accessible mix of Eastern and Western traditions has lost none of its modernity and persuasiveness, despite the eighty years since its first performance, as the album 'Walter Kaufmann: Chamber Works' shows.

Most interesting. I liked the All India Radio Signature tune. He reminds me a bit of Thomas de Hartmann and the PC is reminiscent of Rachmaninov and Khachaturian at times, although with a little Indian spice thrown in.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Time for some melancholic music!

Traverso

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

It's taken me some days to make good on my intent of listening to Falla.

But it's all good. I'm listening to Nights in the Gardens of Spain, and in the interim I've been to the Generalife, and right now I'm in the city of Córdoba. So I'm duly contextualised.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on May 13, 2024, 11:22:05 PMBrahms: Sonata No.1 for Viola and Piano.

A warm mellow piece from Brahms' Indian summer. Originally scored for clarinet and piano, I thought I would listen to that too for comparison. A recording by Jacques Lancelot (no kidding) and Annie D'Arco is again lovely. Viola or clarinet? I liked them both.
As a clarinetist, I can understand completely why a violist would want to play these Sonatas.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on May 14, 2024, 02:23:06 AMNever heard of Kaufmann- really an interesting figure: Thanks!

Fascinating, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 14, 2024, 05:39:06 AMTime for some melancholic music!

There is no piece of Weinberg's I've listened to that I did not think well of.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 14, 2024, 07:03:09 AMThere is no piece of Weinberg's I've listened to that I did not think well of.

The more I listen to him, the more I become convinced that he is the equal of Shostakovich and Prokofiev and I think as time goes on his music will receive more and more recognition.

Bachtoven