What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2024, 06:05:11 PMSets of which I assume come from the Collector's Edition:

I presume that's the basis, although I think some newer recordings were substituted for some of the ones in the CE.
Warner should do for the Britten and Elgar Collector's Edition what it did for RVW: re-issue them with better packaging.

TD

Back to Lars Vogt.
Brahms Piano Sonatas 1 and 2, Scherzo Opus 4
I'm not at all familiar with these early works.
Recorded December 2001

CD 4

Der Igel obviously was important to Vogt; of 27 CDs in this set, 5 are devoted entirely to Brahms, and 5 more contain at least one work by him.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Rosenberg: Symphony No. 8 (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio S.O.)

This is the 2nd version of this symphony which is in one movement that unfolds organically. An intriguing and worthwhile piece.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

andolink

One of my most beloved recordings which has been a part of my collection since near the beginning of the CD era (1984) - -

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2024, 07:23:13 PMRosenberg: Symphony No. 8 (Stig Westerberg, Swedish Radio S.O.)

This is the 2nd version of this symphony which is in one movement that unfolds organically. An intriguing and worthwhile piece.

You have to wonder why a Rosenberg symphonic cycle hasn't been recorded yet. I mean all of Atterberg's or Alfven's symphonies have been recorded (twice each I believe), so why not Rosenberg?

I don't own a lot of Rosenberg, but he is an interesting figure in Swedish music. Probably one of the rarest recordings I own of his music is his cycle of SQs released as a box set on Caprice after they have released all of the recordings individually. I don't know any of this music I'm ashamed to say. There's just so little time.

The Rosenberg SQ cycle in question:

"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

NP:

Britten
String Quartet No. 2 in C, Op. 36
Takács Quartet

An exceptionally fine recording of Britten's three numbered SQs.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

Closing the night out with some of Rachmaninov's songs and his Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 --- from these sets:

Mirror Image

Alright, one more work for the night:

Respighi
Vetrate di chiesa
Philadelphia Orchestra
Ormandy

From this 2-CD Japan import -

steve ridgway

R. Strauss: Vier Letzte Lieder

Oh yes, it is rather good isn't it? 8)

Irons

Schumann: Symphony No.3 "Rhenish".

Like the rustic sounding brass.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2024, 09:16:06 PMAlright, one more work for the night:

Respighi
Vetrate di chiesa
Philadelphia Orchestra
Ormandy

From this 2-CD Japan import -

I knew this performance from its LP incarnation;

which then made it onto bargain CD....

I'm guessing the Japanese remastered(?) sonics are better than either of those?  In the versions I've heard the CBS/Sony sonics have been surpassed by Chandos/BIS etc

EDIT:  Actually in all fairness - I've just been relistening to the CD Essentials disc and for a 1964 recording it is actually pretty spectacular!!  As a work it deserves to be better known - it occupies much the same sense of cinematic spectacle as the Roman Trilogy for sure.  Does that Japanese version really include 2 versions of some of the Roman Trilogy works?

AnotherSpin

Wanderer

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2024, 08:32:09 PM

This is a strong contender for the best complete recordings of Rachmaninoff's piano concertos.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

LA NASCITA DEL VIOLONCELLO.
NAPOLI – BOLOGNA – MODENA.
BRUNO COCSET, LES BASSES RÉUNIES.

CD1, NAPOLI, RECORDED 2022, BOLLAND (BELGIUM)
CD2 BOLOGNA – MODENA RECORDED  2008-2009, PAMPIGNY (SWITZERLAND).

This is a good start in the morning. Two wonderful recordings, perfectly performed, and it gives a good musical insight into the composing art of known and less known composers. Cocset has built himself a sort of monument in this compilation. Using more than 10 different instruments, it also lets one hear so many unusual timbres, and wonderful combinations, which made my ears dazzling. Top notch in every respect.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on May 22, 2024, 11:01:58 PMSchumann: Symphony No.3 "Rhenish".

Like the rustic sounding brass.

did this ever make it to CD?

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Roasted Swan

I was listening to this earlier;

As can be seen - an interesting programme (not sure how Danse Macabre fits the "20th Century" remit given its 1874 composition mind....).  I find myself with mixed feelings though.  Pierce and Jonas can obviously really play but too often the music has a hectic almost rushed feel.  The ensemble is good so clearly this is a performing style they agree on but it didn't work for me.  The Symphonic Dances neither dance nor have epic grandeur when needed - just cascades of notes - almost gabbled.  Compare timings of this work to - say - Alexeev/Demidenko on Hyperion (a pair of sensationally fine players for sure)

A/D:  11:10 / 7:53 / 13:03
P/J:    9:41 / 7:26 /  9:57

let alone Ashkenazy/Previn:

11:34 / 9:21 / 13:27

Some of the music is interesting of course.  I liked Britten's "Introduction & Rondo" a lot, Bax's "Poisoned Fountain" is fascinatingly elusive but again lacking poise here.  Not helped overall by Koch's slightly clangerous sound.....

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Transcendental Etudes

Pianist: Bertrand Chamayou

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Ian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 22, 2024, 11:02:47 PMAs a work it deserves to be better known - it occupies much the same sense of cinematic spectacle as the Roman Trilogy for sure.
Agreed. I'd love to hear the Ormandy version. I can highly recommend the John Neschling / OPRL recordings on BIS. I had a couple of the CDs already but I bought the box set which is wonderful.

Harry

Leevi Madetoja.
See back cover for the works on this CD.
Recorded: Helsinki Music Centre, 2012.

It must be said that these performances are superb in every respect. I will in due course also sample the Petri Sakari interpretations on Chandos Collect, but for now I am very pleased. SOTA sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."