What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Brandenburg Concertos w/ Suzuki and Butt; also own the older recording w/ Leonhardt w/ quite a lineup of performers!   :D   Dave

P.S. Numerous reviews attached, all excellent except for Dubins 'bitching' about Butt - also a good discussion by Hurwitz at the bottom - he recommends numerous recordings (and there are MANY out there!) but seems to like the older Leonhardt the best.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Linz

Dvořák Cello Concerto in B minor. Op. 104
Martinů Cello Concerto, Christian Poltéra, Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Thomas Dausgaard

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 23, 2024, 07:46:52 AM@Brian @Mirror Image I will have to check out those chamber works!  I'm a sucker for all things Martinu chamber music.

Yeah, the disc I was listening to on Supraphon and the disc that @Brian pointed out on BIS are excellent in all respects.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 23, 2024, 07:14:21 AMI didn't know Martinu had written a viola sonata. Interesting.

Yes, indeed and it is an excellent work. As @Brian points out, there is another recording of it on BIS that is also an awesome performance.
"What was great about the '50s is that, for one brief moment - maybe, say, six weeks - nobody understood art." ― Morton Feldman

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 23, 2024, 08:36:53 AMPoking around I came across Adam Fischer's Brahms, which has to be the most god-awful thing I have ever heard! (Speaking only for myself, of course.)

Glad you didn't purchase that as you threatened to when I posted about it last year  ;D

Karl Henning

JSB
French Suite № 2 in c minor, BWV 813
Alan Curtis
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Well, the c minor Suite really flies by ....

JSB
French Suite № 3 in b minor, BWV 814
Alan Curtis
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

NP:

Magnard
Hymne À La Justice, Op. 14
Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg
Mark Stringer

From this OOP recording -

Outside of the symphonies, this entire disc is outstanding. The chamber works box set (also on Timpani) is worth seeking. Such a great composer.

ritter

I rarely listen to Richard Strauss' tone poems, but tonight I'm having a go at Ein Heldenleben. Karl Böhm's first DG recording, with the Staatskapelle Dresden.

CD 3 of this set:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2024, 10:52:30 AMGlad you didn't purchase that as you threatened to when I posted about it last year  ;D

I'm still trying to confirm that I didn't, in fact, purchase it. :)

(I vaguely suspected I had, but it is not on my hard disk.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2024, 09:27:24 AMBach, JS - Brandenburg Concertos w/ Suzuki and Butt; also own the older recording w/ Leonhardt w/ quite a lineup of performers!   :D   Dave

P.S. Numerous reviews attached, all excellent except for Dubins 'bitching' about Butt - also a good discussion by Hurwitz at the bottom - he recommends numerous recordings (and there are MANY out there!) but seems to like the older Leonhardt the best.

I skimmed Hurwitz' video and his mention of the cafe Zimmerman set is interesting, I liked the brief samples I listened to. He also lists Savall as a favorite, which is my current favorite along with Harnoncourt. Maybe I try that Seon set he also likes.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2024, 01:47:50 AM

After listening to the first three, my conclusion is: a Brazilian Ravel-cum-Rachmaninoff.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

AnotherSpin

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2024, 11:20:06 AMAfter listening to the first three, my conclusion is: a Brazilian Ravel-cum-Rachmaninoff.
The more I listened to Villa-Lobos, the less I liked his music, so I've given it a rest of several years...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 23, 2024, 11:26:02 AMThe more I listened to Villa-Lobos, the less I liked his music, so I've given it a rest of several years...

I'm not surprised this time. I've noticed long ago that when it comes to modern music, I'm from Mars and you're from Venus.  ;D

Buenas noches, amigo!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

Roberto Gerhard
Concerto for Orchestra

Matthias Bamert & BBC Symphony Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Linz

Reinhold Glière Symphony No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 8 and  Suite 'The Red Poppy',  BBC Philharmonic Orchestra,  Edward Downes

Mirror Image

NP:

Ropartz
Symphony No. 3
Isabelle Philippe, Elodie Mechain, Marc Laho, Jean Teitgen
Erik Satie Vocal Ensemble, Jacques Ibert Vocal Ensemble, Opus 37 Vocal Ensemble, Tours Region Center Symphony Orchestra
Jean-Yves Ossonce

From this OOP recording -

Karl Henning

JSB

Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, BWV225
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA