What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 25, 2024, 07:32:53 AMI've never listened to a guitar concerto, and I'm not going to start now. :)

Rodrigo or bust!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 25, 2024, 07:32:53 AMI've never listened to a guitar concerto, and I'm not going to start now. :)
If you're feeling adventurous sometime, you might try Brouwer's Concerto Elegiaco with Julian Bream (who recorded the premiere of it with Brouwer conducting).  I quite enjoy it.  :)

PD

p.s.  Rodrigo is also on that same CD.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 25, 2024, 07:53:30 AMRodrigo or bust!

I do like Villa-Lobos' Guitar Concerto and Lennox Berkeley's. Sculthorpe's Nourlangie is another favorite.
"Music is not a salvation, but it helps you to endure...endure until you finally can lay down and rest." ― Allan Pettersson

Spotted Horses

After listening to the Supraphon release containing the same repertoire, I queued up the BIS recording of Martinu's Three Madrigals for Violin and Viola

I knew I loved this music, but the BIS recording brings it to life for me at a higher level. The middle movement (poco andante) is exquisite, such starkness and yet such richness from only two instruments. I look forward to hearing the second Duo in this release.

I was intrigued by the Aho transcription and completion of the final contrapuntus from Bach's BWV1080. Beautifully done. Although at some point I got the impression, "this may not be Bach," it is clear that Aho has skills, beyond evoking weird sounds from an orchestra. :)

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

A nice slug of tracks from this gem of a set.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 25, 2024, 08:10:29 AMAfter listening to the Supraphon release containing the same repertoire, I queued up the BIS recording of Martinu's Three Madrigals for Violin and Viola

I knew I loved this music, but the BIS recording brings it to life for me at a higher level. The middle movement (poco andante) is exquisite, such starkness and yet such richness from only two instruments. I look forward to hearing the second Duo in this release.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it.  I have the Supraphon recording--which I need to revisit.  I did find this on youtube (which I quite enjoyed).  It's a concert video with Maxim Rysanov (viola) and Zia Shin (violin).

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 25, 2024, 08:10:29 AMAlthough at some point I got the impression, "this may not be Bach," it is clear that Aho has skills, beyond evoking weird sounds from an orchestra. :)

I listened to one of Simpson's string quartets recently and he started off with something that sounded very classical and then his variations upon it quickly took it off of Earth and off towards like Neptune! :laugh:

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on May 25, 2024, 08:53:03 AM

A nice slug of tracks from this gem of a set.

I can't stop listening to Pienaar's Byrd.  I really love it.

DavidW

Trying out Schiff's Schubert with the great D 960:

Linz

MahlerSymphony No. 2 in  C Minor "Resurrection", Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra; Takashi Asahina

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on May 25, 2024, 09:30:45 AMI can't stop listening to Pienaar's Byrd.  I really love it.
Playing it now (via yt). :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Moeran: String Quartet No. 2

I feel this beautiful music like depicting the English countryside. A good performance and disc that gathers together a big portion of Moeran's chamber music, but the volume of the recording is a little low.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on May 25, 2024, 09:29:54 AMI listened to one of Simpson's string quartets recently and he started off with something that sounded very classical and then his variations upon it quickly took it off of Earth and off towards like Neptune! :laugh:

Yeah, Simpson SQs!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Pancho Vladigerov: Stage Music. Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Alexander Vladigerov.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2024, 10:57:22 AMMoeran: String Quartet No. 2

I feel this beautiful music like depicting the English countryside. A good performance and disc that gathers together a big portion of Moeran's chamber music, but the volume of the recording is a little low.

I love the E flat quartet.  The Maggini's on Naxos strike me as more impressive than the Vanbrugh though....

Linz

Richard Arnell  Punch and the Child, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Thomas Beecham
Lord Berners The Triumph of Neptune, Philadelphia Orchestra, Thomas Beecham

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 25, 2024, 02:32:00 PMI love the E flat quartet.  The Maggini's on Naxos strike me as more impressive than the Vanbrugh though....

Agreed on the Maggini. That ensemble has excelled in that repertoire.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Long time I hadn't heard this glory of Russian choral writing.

Noam Chomsky

brewski

Schnittke: Faust Cantata (1983) (USSR Ministry of Culture SO, soloists, Valery Polyansky, live recording 1989).

Wow, an arresting piece and performance, and the video is an evocative snapshot from the time period.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)