What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.3

Georg Solti & Chicago Symphony Orchestra

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Traverso

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 22, 2024, 11:47:59 AMWow 17 long discs of Reger Organ Music - that is devotion to duty!  The one piece of Reger's organ music I have in my collection is "Variations and Fugue on "Heil Dir Im Siegerkranz" (God Save the King)".....

I have high expectations of these organ works by Max Reger. The first CD I that I have listened to clearly aroused high expectations. I'm especially looking forward to the Choral Fantasien. :)

Harry

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 22, 2024, 11:09:58 AMBecause you love him or because you don't?

Off course I love him, always did! Sorry for the misunderstanding :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Linz

Mahler Symphony No. 2 in C minor "Resurrection", Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Hindemith, Sawallisch.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on June 22, 2024, 12:35:32 PMOff course I love him, always did! Sorry for the misunderstanding :)

Haha. No sorry required! I need to have an extended exploration of Brian's symphonies to increase my appreciation. I've listened to all of them in fits and starts over the years but they have sat pretty patchily with me, really. I guess that's inevitable with such a large output.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 3 in D Minor, 1873 Original Version Ed. Leopold Nowak, Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert Blomstedt

Bachtoven

A fine performance captured in excellent sound.

JBS

No. 66 in B Flat Major
No. 69 in C Major Laudon
No. 67 in F Major

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on June 22, 2024, 12:32:58 PMI have high expectations of these organ works by Max Reger. The first CD I that I have listened to clearly aroused high expectations. I'm especially looking forward to the Choral Fantasien. :)

I remember that in Hermann Hesse's Demian, there was a brief scene an organist at a church played Reger's piece. Hesse may have liked Reger's music. At least HH knew about Max Reger.

Que

11th and last disc, featuring the 1532 Colombi organ at the Chiesa del S. Corpo di Christo, Valvasone (Friuli-Venezia region), Italy.

Que

I've been eagerly awaiting this new recording. As Mandryka mentioned: excellent!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

steve ridgway

Mahler: Symphony No. 2

Initial impressions were pleasant enough and the vocal and choral sections made a good contrast, will listen to it again at some point 8) .

Mandryka

Just finished a concert -- Wihan Quartet playing a couple of Haydn pops in London this afternoon, The Emperor and The Lark. Upholstered Rolls Royce luxury blend sound, good cellist, utterly boring music making for me, I thought I would die of boredom.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Hildegard von Bingen

What to say about Hildegard's music, connoisseurs know what to expect. It is beautifully performed here.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 23, 2024, 05:57:45 AMMahler: Symphony No. 2

Initial impressions were pleasant enough and the vocal and choral sections made a good contrast, will listen to it again at some point 8) .

Hah!  "pleasant enough" seems like rather damming faint praise for a work that should surely be literally raising the dead!!!!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 23, 2024, 06:56:51 AMa
Hah!  "pleasant enough" seems like rather damming faint praise for a work that should surely be literally raising the dead!!!!

I'm not sure the dead care much about Mahler.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: AnotherSpin on June 23, 2024, 07:06:42 AMI'm not sure the dead care much about Mahler.

I think a work called resurrection is about raising the dead - no??!!