RIP Ginger Baker of 'Cream'

Started by vandermolen, October 06, 2019, 07:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

j winter

I've also enjoyed Baker's jazz drumming; I've had this disc for ages, good stuff...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Herman

As a teen I was a big fan of Cream, and I have always kept an interest in Clapton and Bruce's doings. However I have to confess I soon developed a less-is-more attitude towards percussion and a keen repulsion towards the Crazy Drummer type, personified by the likes of Baker and Keith Moon.
I did watch the Baker documentary and was kind of amused to see Baker had turned into a cantankerous old very white gent with a very young black wife pronouncing negativities from a barcalounger (due to backaches, no doubt  -  still, anyone in showbiz would be aware what it looks like if you're on camera supine).
Sounds like he pretty much thought everybody was crap and a PoS, except a handful of jazz drummers.
I thought it was rather hard to take. But you got to hand it to him: it's a miracle he got to be eighty years old chainsmoking the way he did.
The bit about the bombing raids in his toddler years ("I love disasters!") and never seeing his dad again are however key.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: j winter on October 06, 2019, 05:48:57 PM
I've also enjoyed Baker's jazz drumming; I've had this disc for ages, good stuff...

I have that one but haven't listened yet. This one is good, too:

I'm more interested in his jazz playing than his work with Cream back in the day. Never have been much of a fan of theirs.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

drogulus

They went as for as they could go, too far perhaps, but this:

https://www.youtube.com/v/7FZ0pv9R1uY

For a young guitar player hearing this, it's the sound, the sheer physicality of it, that transforms the sense of possibility. The world became new.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Herman

I thought it was rather amusing that Clapton, in the origal Cream era, apparently decided that they should wear spiffy clothes, as demonstrated in this video.
He also decided at least one of them should have an Afro, because Jimi Hendrix had an Afro, too. So Baker and Bruce told him to get that Afro himself.