Hello from a classical newbie!

Started by Elliot, October 10, 2019, 02:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elliot

Sup everyone!

My name's Elliot. I've been a huge fan of pop/rock/folk music and its history/developments for years now, but I'm only just starting to dip my toes into the world of classical now. It's a bit daunting, as I'm far more used to the album/single format in which popular music is usually released, but I've loved much of what I've heard so far, particularly works of Ravel, Schubert, and Mozart.

Figured hanging around this forum could point me in the right direction(s). Looking forward to meeting you all :)

j winter

Welcome!  You are definitely in the right place.  :)

Hard to go wrong with Ravel, Schubert or Mozart.  Is there a particular type of music you've been enjoying --- piano, orchestral, vocal music?
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Karl Henning

Quote from: Franz Sherbet on October 10, 2019, 02:03:06 PM
Sup everyone!

My name's Elliot. I've been a huge fan of pop/rock/folk music and its history/developments for years now, but I'm only just starting to dip my toes into the world of classical now. It's a bit daunting, as I'm far more used to the album/single format in which popular music is usually released, but I've loved much of what I've heard so far, particularly works of Ravel, Schubert, and Mozart.

Figured hanging around this forum could point me in the right direction(s). Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Welcome, Elliot! Great album: Another Green World.

Plunge right in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elliot

Quote from: j winter on October 10, 2019, 04:57:04 PM
Welcome!  You are definitely in the right place.  :)

Hard to go wrong with Ravel, Schubert or Mozart.  Is there a particular type of music you've been enjoying --- piano, orchestral, vocal music?
For Ravel, I especially love his solo piano work (Miroirs makes my heart and mind melt) and his piano concertos. For both Schubert and Mozart, I've taken a particular liking to their chamber work: I adore the Trout Quintet (kind of an obvious choice, I know) and Death and the Maiden (that second movement!) from Schubert, and also love Mozart's Clarinet Quintet.

Still so much more to discover :D I guess in general I've been liking chamber stuff especially, seems like kind of a happy medium between the larger symphonies and solo pieces.

Elliot

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2019, 06:13:42 PM
Welcome, Elliot! Great album: Another Green World.

Plunge right in!
Always nice to run into another Eno fan :)

vandermolen

Welcome to the Forum. I like your username!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

mc ukrneal

Welcome. You have lots of adventures ahead. Enjoy the ride!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

david johnson

Welcome among us.  Try some Rimsky-Korsakov  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: david johnson on October 10, 2019, 11:59:47 PM
Welcome among us.  Try some Rimsky-Korsakov  :)
I agree!
He was my first favourite classical composer and I still enjoy his music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Welcome aboard. Entering a New World can indeed be daunting but, rest assured, there are many erudite and friendly souls here who will willingly answer your every question.

Happy listening  :)

bhodges

Sup everyone!

Hi Elliot, and welcome. Yes, you've come to the right place, and could spend a lifetime exploring Ravel, Schubert, and Mozart -- I'm sure you'll get a ton of recommendations.

But for now, another Eno fan here!

--Bruce

André

Welcome!

I had to google 'sup everyone'. I had figured it was a sort of salutation  :D.

Ken B

Hi
Lots to explore.
Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov is a good idea. Haydn, since you like Mozart. But mostly explore at random.

Wanderer

Sup everyone!

Welcome!

steve ridgway

Quote from: Franz Sherbet on October 10, 2019, 06:50:22 PM
Always nice to run into another Eno fan :)

I have a few of those 70s Eno albums too, it was he and Roxy Music that gave me a love for discordant and experimental music which I think has eventually led me to the later 20th century classical 8).

Christo

Welcome from this tiny corner too. I too love Brian Eno (and Vaughan Williams, Tubin, and all the lot).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

TMHeimer

45 years ago I played several Ravel works in the Queens College Orchestra (NYC) that were recently (back then) discovered by a professor on the faculty. Great stuff, may still have some of it on reel to reel tape (what's that????).
Have you given thought to some more contemporary stuff such as Shostakovitch (love his symphonies), Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Berg, etc.?   There is Classical (Mozart, etc.) and small c classical.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)
Boreal Ballad for unaccompanied clarinet solo
(Sheet Music Plus)