Massenet

Started by Tsaraslondon, October 13, 2019, 12:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2024, 07:30:55 AM

Technically speaking, this box should be a marvel. Massenet's complete songs, all-French singers, an Erard piano --- what more could one wish for?

And yet, after running through 4 discs, I'm hugely disappointed. The sensuousness, the lushness, the vocal and pianistic voluptuousness one would expect from, or rather for, Massenet's music are nowhere to be found. Cold, uninvolved, uninspired and uninspiring, dull and boring singing and accompanying, as if all performers involved conspired into "Let's get this whole damn thing done as quick as possible and go home!" No nuance, no shade, no delicacy of feeling and execution, no nothing (sic!) usually and rightly associated with Massenet --- everything correct, metronomic, mechanical, lifeless. I expected an enchanted garden full of perfumed delights and instead got a green-grocery minutes before closing time.

The only redeeming feature is the deluxe presentation, a 300-something-page booklet with an interesting general essay on Massenet's songs, detailed information about, and complete French texts of, all songs, plus English translations. A commendable scholarly effort which unfortunately cannot make up for the appalling inadequacy of the performance. A real pity...

So who are these awful performers? I think we need to know.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Wendell_E

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 01, 2024, 09:39:04 AMSo who are these awful performers. I think we need to know.

That's what I was wondering. I found this page on the label's website. I few familiar names, and a bunch of others.

https://atmaclassique.com/en/product/massenet-complete-songs-for-voice-and-piano/
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

nico1616

Great topic where I want to mention some of my favorites.

First of all there is Manon with Cotrubas, Kraus and Van Dam. Great singing and conducting all around, and I want to mention the Cotrubas/Van Dam duet in the church, it is most moving (on oublie...) and one of the reasons I got addicted to Massenet.

Another great one conducted by Plasson is Hérodiade, again with Van Dam in his prime. Heppner and Studer also stand out.

For Werther I turn to Davis with Carreras/Von Stade.

And last but not least a recent recording of Ariane, an unknown gem. Where some of Massenet's works get long-winded in the last act (Werther almost becomes insufferable) Ariane has no weak spots, a joy from start to finish.

The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: nico1616 on May 02, 2024, 01:23:35 PMGreat topic where I want to mention some of my favorites.

First of all there is Manon with Cotrubas, Kraus and Van Dam. Great singing and conducting all around, and I want to mention the Cotrubas/Van Dam duet in the church, it is most moving (on oublie...) and one of the reasons I got addicted to Massenet.

Another great one conducted by Plasson is Hérodiade, again with Van Dam in his prime. Heppner and Studer also stand out.

For Werther I turn to Davis with Carreras/Von Stade.

And last but not least a recent recording of Ariane, an unknown gem. Where some of Massenet's works get long-winded in the last act (Werther almost becomes insufferable) Ariane has no weak spots, a joy from start to finish.

I don't know Ariane at all and I only know a couple of arias from Hérodiade. There's another recording with Fleming and Heppner, conducted by Gergiev, but I think the one you posted looks a little more enticing, even if I'm not generally a fan of Studer.

For Manon I still prefer the old Monteux with De Los Angeles, which encapsulates a lost tradition of French performance, now lost to us in these more international times. It's mono of course, and the Plasson with Cotrubas and Kraus is probably the best of the stereo alternatives.

Werther has had so many good recordings and the Davis is definitely one of the best. Von Stade is a perfect Charlotte.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas