Beethoven Violin concerto

Started by Harry, October 20, 2019, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I am looking for the Beethoven Violin concerto, in the performance of 1984, Mutter/ Karajan, it's a live performance. I have difficulty finding it on JPC or Amazon Germany/England.
Someone?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

prémont

Quote from: "Harry" on October 20, 2019, 08:39:43 AM
I am looking for the Beethoven Violin concerto, in the performance of 1984, Mutter/ Karajan, it's a live performance. I have difficulty finding it on JPC or Amazon Germany/England.
Someone?

So it is not the studio recording from 1980?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 20, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
So it is not the studio recording from 1980?

No, its a live recording I saw this afternoon on Arte TV. Made in 1984. He financed this recording too.
There are plenty of releases but none of them mention which recording it is.

Jo498

Was it on Laser-Disc maybe? Or maybe not, maybe never on disc or any other medium.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Harry

Quote from: Jo498 on October 20, 2019, 09:37:42 AM
Was it on Laser-Disc maybe? Or maybe not, maybe never on disc or any other medium.

I have no idea. I saw on a 5 CD box with Mutter and Karajan a picture showing her at this live concert, but that does not mean its the 1984 recording. Wherever I looked no recording year is mentioned anywhere. Pretty frustrating. However I saw the DVD of this recording at Amazon Germany

Moonfish

Do you know if a recording on CD was actually made? Or are you hoping it was made?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Harry

Quote from: Moonfish on October 20, 2019, 11:54:54 AM
Do you know if a recording on CD was actually made? Or are you hoping it was made?

I only asked the question if someone would know if this recording on CD existed, that's all.

Jo498

According to the link below it apparently was issued after HvKs death on "video disc" (laserdisc, I guess) but "hardly noticed"

http://www.musik-heute.de/20188/anne-sophie-mutter-und-herbert-von-karajan-das-beethoven-konzert/
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Harry

Quote from: Jo498 on October 20, 2019, 01:02:06 PM
According to the link below it apparently was issued after HvKs death on "video disc" (laserdisc, I guess) but "hardly noticed"

http://www.musik-heute.de/20188/anne-sophie-mutter-und-herbert-von-karajan-das-beethoven-konzert/

So it safe to assume it never made it to CD. This was the docu I saw today. The performance by Mutter and Karajan is very special, so special that I wanted to buy it.
Thank you for the link. I will watch it again, and store it on my HD.

Holden

I am glad that you've discovered a version of the VC that you really like. I have yet to hear a recording that totally satisfies me. Maybe someone here has the video disc and make an audio copy for you.
Cheers

Holden

Moonfish

Quote from: "Harry" on October 20, 2019, 01:43:03 PM
So it safe to assume it never made it to CD. This was the docu I saw today. The performance by Mutter and Karajan is very special, so special that I wanted to buy it.
Thank you for the link. I will watch it again, and store it on my HD.

Harry,
Do you have a link to the actual performance to share with GMG? Does it live on YouTube or is it nested within a commercial service?

Thanks,

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

prémont

Quote from: Holden on October 20, 2019, 02:42:04 PM
I have yet to hear a recording that totally satisfies me.

The two recordings I go to are:

Schneiderhan / van Kempen

and

Igor Oistrakh / Schüchter.

Both recordings from the 1950es. Do you know these?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Daverz

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SimonNZ

1984? It's this, isn't it?:

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Concerto-Violin-Orchestra-Op/dp/B00000K4ZY

the copyright is 1999, but the date of recording on the back cover is Feb '84

Harry

Harry

Quote from: SimonNZ on October 20, 2019, 08:41:47 PM
1984? It's this, isn't it?:

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Concerto-Violin-Orchestra-Op/dp/B00000K4ZY

the copyright is 1999, but the date of recording on the back cover is Feb '84

Yes 1984.

Region 1 it is, that one I cannot play in the Netherlands. Let see if this video is available in europe. Thanks for this link.

Jo498

Quote from: Holden on October 20, 2019, 02:42:04 PM
I am glad that you've discovered a version of the VC that you really like. I have yet to hear a recording that totally satisfies me.
I realized that it will never become a favorite piece of mine. But one large problem for me is that an interpretive tradition dominates that I really dislike, namely sluggish tempi and and/or sugary playing (and unfortunately Mutter/Karajan are main exponents of both). Sure, there are a few that are different, such as Huberman, Heifetz and some HIP (influenced) recordings but even they cannot completely break the mold (e.g. the slow movement is still too slow even at the rare 7-8 min. performances). My favorites are probably Zehetmair/Brüggen, Tetzlaff/Gielen and Heifetz (Toscanini or Munch).
Schneiderhan/van Kempen might also almost be in that camp (it's a bit more "centrist") but I got rid of that Masters Box with Schneiderhan because I don't like his thin and wiry tone (maybe the fault of the recordings, even worse sound is also a problem with the older Heifetz or Huberman/Szell).
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: "Harry" on October 20, 2019, 11:19:01 PM
Yes 1984.

Region 1 it is, that one I cannot play in the Netherlands. Let see if this video is available in europe. Thanks for this link.

Harry,
You should treat yourself to a region-free DVD player. They are quite affordable and will give you access to lots of media.  :)
Anna Lappé

Harry

Quote from: Moonfish on October 21, 2019, 12:29:25 AM
Harry,
You should treat yourself to a region-free DVD player. They are quite affordable and will give you access to lots of media.  :)

Alas there is no Hi-res quality DVD-Bluray region 1 player on the market that would meet my standards.
This video is also to be had on Amazon de, although it was quite hidden, in region 2.