Beethoven Violin concerto

Started by Harry, October 20, 2019, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Jo498 on October 20, 2019, 11:53:05 PM
I realized that it will neve become a favorite piece of mine. But one large problem for me is that an interpretive tradition dominates that I really dislike, namely sluggish tempi and and/or sugary playing (and unfortunately Mutter/Karajan are main exponents of both). Sure, there are a few that are different, such as Huberman, Heifetz and some HIP (influenced) recordings but even they cannot completely break the mold (e.g. the slow movement is still too slow even at the rare 7-8 min. performances). My favorites are probably Zehetmair/Brüggen, Tetzlaff/Gielen and Heifetz (Toscanini or Munch).
Schneiderhan/van Kempen might also almost be in that camp (it's a bit more "centrist") but I got rid of that Masters Box with Schneiderhan because I don't like his thin and wiry tone (maybe the fault of the recordings, even worse sound is also a problem with the older Heifetz or Huberman/Szell).

I realize that this performance gets the full Karajan treatment, inclusieve slow tempi, but Mutters playing is still fresh, be it polished in the sweet sugary mould that Karajan is famed for. I like his Bruckner Symphony cycle, all his Beethoven symphonies from the early recordings to the last, Sibelius is a treat too,  etc etc.
So I accept his view and in the aforementioned recordings, cherish it.
It's actually the fabulous technique and concentration Mutter is producing that has me hooked. Super romantic, detailed, just listen to the G major part in the first movement, just fabulous how she gets this tone sweet yet absolutely clear. And many more such moments, if I read through the score.
My top performance of this violin concerto would be: Christian Tetzlaff (violin), with the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich, David Zinman, on Arte Nova 82876 76994 2, which I bought back in March 2006.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Moonfish

Quote from: "Harry" on October 21, 2019, 12:57:53 AM
Alas there is no Hi-res quality DVD-Bluray region 1 player on the market that would meet my standards.
This video is also to be had on Amazon de, although it was quite hidden, in region 2.

Hmm, what about the OPPO bluray player?

Did you find yourself a region 2 copy of the Mutter performance?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Harry

Quote from: Moonfish on October 21, 2019, 07:18:51 AM
Hmm, what about the OPPO bluray player?

Did you find yourself a region 2 copy of the Mutter performance?

I have an OPPO blu-Ray player, and am very content with it. But to spend the same amount on a region 1 player, only to see the DVD'S which are now blocked for me, goes a step to far. Furthermore OPPO stopped making Blu-Ray players, and I hate to buy something which can in some cases not be repaired.
And yes I found a region 2 copy of the Mutter performance. Its on its way to me.
Thank you for the effort you have put in my question.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."