Raymond Leppard (1927-2019)

Started by North Star, October 22, 2019, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Daverz

Listening now, from late in his career



Music by early American composers Chadwick, Foote, Carpenter and Canning, but also the Barber Adagio.

André


My favourite recording of Water Music:


Jo498

#3
Not the Water Music but Leppard's is my favorite Royal Fireworks as it is more majestic than any of the HIP I have heard but still reasonably informed and complete (unlike the Harty versions).
As I got in to classical in the mid/late 1980s when non-HIP baroque was already fading, I am not familiar with many Leppard recordings. But a few months ago I did some comparative listening and really liked (most of) his Bach Brandenburg Concertos and orchestral suites (late 60s and 70s recordings on Philips). Despite preferrring HIP I would not be too depressed if Leppard's were the only recordings of them I could keep (except for the flute suite, where I now clearly prefer solo/minimalist forces).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

Quote from: Daverz on October 22, 2019, 03:06:29 PM
Listening now, from late in his career



Music by early American composers Chadwick, Foote, Carpenter and Canning, but also the Barber Adagio.

A lovely disc (the Canning "Fantasy" is a beauty!) and an excellent tribute to Leppard.
Although I prefer Heather Harper /Davis in Tippett's third symphony, dame Josephine Barstow and Leppard form an excellent duo in this difficult music.

Roasted Swan

I was sad to read of Raymond Leppard's death - although I was also quite surprised to realise he was in his nineties.  There are so many of his recordings that have enriched my musical listening life.  All Bax admirers will be forever indebted to him for:



&



It might be a case of "1st love" but I'm not sure his Nos. 5&7 have ever been beaten.  But so much else besides.  They might have been superseded but I remember at college playing his performing edition of Cavalli's La Calisto.  The first time I'd ever encountered baroque opera - a genre that to be honest does not interest me a lot - but I loved the exuberant colour of Leppard's instrumentation and continuo parts.  Obviously for many years his ECO/Phillips recordings were the competition for Marriner/St Martins on Argo and I enjoy - and still enjoy both. 

Daverz



I listened to this to death back when it was among the few CDs I had, but not so much in the last several decades.  I need to give it a spin tomorrow.

Mookalafalas

Damn! I just became really interested in classical music a few years ago. But it is unbelievable how many conductors I really like have died during this span, in both HIP and traditional approaches. RIP Mr. Leppard.
It's all good...

Jo498

92 is ripe old age, though. (Like with some others I was not aware that Leppard had still been alive.) I became interested into classical music ca. 1987-90. While I am not sure I was in any way bothered by it, it was also a time when a lot of revered figures of the classical world died, and even more during the 1990s. Now it is basically the next generation born around 1930 passing away.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

I have the Water Music shown above but in those days I usually went to Marriner for baroque orchestral, except for the Fireworks Music where I favoured Mackerras and his massive wind ensemble. I have several albums of Leppard accompanying Janet Baker and a box set of Monteverdi madrigals but it was his realisation of Monteverdi's L'Incoronazione di Poppea that had the biggest influence on me. I never heard him conduct it live but it was the first Monteverdi I ever heard, a live performance, in English, by the Sadler's Wells Opera Company (later ENO); I have been hooked on Monteverdi ever since. I now have a CD of the Glyndebourne production conducted by John Pritchard, mainly now for nostalgic reasons as it hopelessly un-HIP but great fun (as far as the rather grisly plot allows).

aligreto

It with sadness that I learn of the death of Raymond Leppard. Back in the day when I started collecting LPs the name of Raymond Leppard on the sleeve would be an instant draw for me. I really liked the way that he presented Baroque Music in particular. Sad news indeed.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: André on October 22, 2019, 04:37:45 PM
My favourite recording of Water Music:



This is indeed a fine recording,I have this set.



mc ukrneal

Very sad. Possibly my favorite Mozart disc (though I have a different version of it):
[asin]B00BA7Z13I[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 25, 2019, 04:57:26 AM
Very sad. Possibly my favorite Mozart disc (though I have a different version of it):
[asin]B00BA7Z13I[/asin]

One of my favourites too, but I had forgotten all about it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 23, 2019, 02:00:15 AM
I was sad to read of Raymond Leppard's death - although I was also quite surprised to realise he was in his nineties.  There are so many of his recordings that have enriched my musical listening life.  All Bax admirers will be forever indebted to him for:



&



It might be a case of "1st love" but I'm not sure his Nos. 5&7 have ever been beaten.  But so much else besides.  They might have been superseded but I remember at college playing his performing edition of Cavalli's La Calisto.  The first time I'd ever encountered baroque opera - a genre that to be honest does not interest me a lot - but I loved the exuberant colour of Leppard's instrumentation and continuo parts.  Obviously for many years his ECO/Phillips recordings were the competition for Marriner/St Martins on Argo and I enjoy - and still enjoy both.
Sad indeed but he had a long and distinguished life. His recordings of Bax's 5th and 7th symphonies are unrivalled IMO. I shall forever be indepted to him for these youthful discoveries.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

OrchestralNut

I wasn't at all familiar with the name until tonight, as I watched the 1963 Lord of the Flies film, for which he composed the music.

Irons

I saw him conduct at Dorking Halls many years ago. Always appeared a youthful looking chap.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.