Baroque and early music on piano excluding Bach

Started by milk, October 27, 2019, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have a thread on exactly this topic.

milk

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 27, 2019, 11:20:41 PM
I think both of those are rather nice.
And above, what do you think of Charlmeau? It got a bad review on music web but I like it.

milk

I didn't like this at first but I like it much better now. He takes his time with Tombeau De Monsieur De Blancrocher and makes a real journey of it.

Jo498

Except for Bach and D. Scarlatti I am not too fond of baroque on the piano. I have the Byrd/Gibbons disc by Gould but don't remember much about it. I used to quite like Handel suites with Richter/Gavrilov have somewhat sunk in my favor and I never bothered to get another one on piano (like Schirmer or Ugorskaja (anthology)) although they do sound attractive in samples. (And the sound of the Richter is not great, so they might be better choices in this respect.) I have some F. Couperin and Rameau in the Marcelle Meyer box which is enjoyable but again also enough for me not to actively look for more as I seem to clearly prefer the harpsichord, especially for music earlier than late/high baroque. Not sure if one can get the Meyer Couperin/Rameau/Scarlatti separately.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Great idea of a thread!

Quote from: milk on October 28, 2019, 01:22:15 AM
I didn't like this at first

I didn't, either, but never had a second listen. Should I?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

milk

71 dB

I have enjoyed these discs a lot:

[asin]B0034JV6D4[/asin]

[asin]B00U2OT032[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

milk

3 volumes of these and I wonder if they're any good.

milk

But I am much impressed with this one. I hated what he did with Bach but really enjoy this:

milk

another one I think Mandyrka turned me on to:

Truly weird stuff.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on October 28, 2019, 04:39:48 AM
3 volumes of these and I wonder if they're any good.

I don't think so. It is dead straight, it's as if we're looking over the shoulder of a piano teacher just run through the scores for a student. The music, the poetry, has disappeared, and all we're left with is the notes.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2019, 05:41:19 AM
I don't think so. It is dead straight, it's as if we're looking over the shoulder of a piano teacher just run through the scores for a student. The music, the poetry, has disappeared, and all we're left with is the notes.
It's amazing someone could tackle all the books, such a big project, but not have more of a developed view of it. I've no idea but I'd like to think this repertoire would get you noticed. How do you feel about the two Louis Couperin recordings that came out?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: milk on October 27, 2019, 03:25:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have a thread on exactly this topic.

This is a pet interest of mine, so I started a thread on it years ago. Sadly it didn't get very far:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13515.msg333498.html#msg333498

Today, I'll throw Tharaud's Couperin and Rameau into the mix.

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

premont

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 29, 2019, 06:04:04 AM

This is a pet interest of mine, so I started a thread on it years ago. Sadly it didn't get very far:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13515.msg333498.html#msg333498.

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 16, 2009, 10:21:33 PM
I admit that I don't know much about tuning systems, though I am aware there are differences. My problem is I'm just not crazy about the sound of the harpsichord. Last night I was listening to some Froberger played by Leonhardt, and thinking, This is good music, but I would like it better if it were played on an instrument I actually enjoy listening to.

The way I learned to love the harpsichord was by getting to love its music and then slowly realising that the instrument and its music constitute an organic entity because the music is designed in a harpsichord idiom, to some degree as to sound but even more as to instrumental technique.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 29, 2019, 05:05:29 PM
The way I learned to love the harpsichord was by getting to love its music and then slowly realising that the instrument and its music constitute an organic entity because the music is designed in a harpsichord idiom, to some degree as to sound but even more as to instrumental technique.

In the 10 years since I wrote that post, I have conquered my harpsichordophobia. But I did it by hearing some really well recorded harpsichords, and realizing thereby that a harpsichord could indeed sound good. Also I became aware that there existed big differences among harpsichords, and the range of sound among them was much greater than among pianos.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

milk

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 29, 2019, 06:04:04 AM

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13515.msg333498.html#msg333498

Today, I'll throw Tharaud's Couperin and Rameau into the mix.
Ah! Well, I hope we can keep this, or that, alive. I love this music on period instruments but I also enjoy when it succeeds on piano. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can see this repertoire being taken up by more pianists.

j winter

For the Handel keyboard suites, the only version I have (and the only one I have ever heard) is Richter & Gavrilov.  It completely satisfies, though having hung around GMG again for a while I've lately thought that I might pick up a harpsichord version for comparison.   ;D

Another set of baroque works that I've always enjoyed on piano is Scarlatti.  Horowitz is justly famous here, but I most often pull one of the several Naxos discs, where they are doing all of the sonatas, each disc by a different pianist.  Good stuff, and an easy way to take one's Scarlatti in reasonable size doses, and check out different approaches at the same time.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice