Baroque and early music on piano excluding Bach

Started by milk, October 27, 2019, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 10, 2022, 12:38:43 AM
I think you may be being hasty about the Batagov actually, which seems at least rather beautiful, introspective and refined.

But the Schlieme is quite another matter. Everything seems less subtle in terms of colour and weight than it was in his Frescobaldi CD. I just don't like it at all!
His Frescobaldi was fantastic. But he wasn't going off-script. Here, he seems to think his spin on things will make the music stand out. But it drags it down.

milk

Mandryka

Hats off for him for doing it, and from the point of view of interpretation it's OK - light, dancing. Most of all it confirms my belief that the music doesn't suit me when it's played with the purer tones and the homogeneous registers of the modern instrument. There may be pianos which suit me better, and possibly playing styles which use the pianos overtones to greater effect. The recording may not help either.

In a conversation DB-P once said that he's not primarily interested in sound. It would be really good to let him compare some of my harpsichord recordings of this music with his, and see if it doesn't change his mind. I just listened to his and Colin Booth's Passamezzo Pavan, for example, and it seems to me no question that the Booth is more sympathetic to the music.  Daniel Ben Pienaar, where are you? I conjure you out of the ether.

By the way the Passamezzo Pavan and Galliard is often attributed to Peter Philips.

I think it's a great shame that he hasn't made the booklet available on streaming services, for an important release like this - important because the music is so little known outside of PI circles.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen