Baroque and early music on piano excluding Bach

Started by milk, October 27, 2019, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeCpp

Jean Philippe Rameau Complete Keyboard Works, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
David Ezra Okonsar, Piano (2018)

I've listened to them partially and liked, so post here in thread. And I've seen David's performance of The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book mentioned on 1st page of this thread, I've listened to some parts of these and found them somewhat worth for further investigation. I come to David's YouTube channel (topic) because of his Bach performances, found them quite good and listeneable, so performed more detailed investigations of his albums. That was week or two prior to registration on this forum, it is a mystic coincidence (browser tab with David's channel was open all that time, week or two).
There is a strangeness in simple things.

milk

Looks like an interesting release.
"Most importantly, the playing throughout is superb; the clarity of lines, pedalling and sheer musicality of Ms Ai are wonderful.  There is so much going on, it's hard to believe there is only the one pianist here, which is something that I have also noticed in Stradal's other transcriptions, I think it has to do with his using the whole of the keyboard rather than concentrating on the more central part." From Musicweb, Jonathan Welsh. Is this reviewer active on GMG? Just curious as the review goes into each piece in-depth.

milk

Quote from: milk on May 21, 2020, 07:38:56 PM

Looks like an interesting release.
"Most importantly, the playing throughout is superb; the clarity of lines, pedalling and sheer musicality of Ms Ai are wonderful.  There is so much going on, it's hard to believe there is only the one pianist here, which is something that I have also noticed in Stradal's other transcriptions, I think it has to do with his using the whole of the keyboard rather than concentrating on the more central part." From Musicweb, Jonathan Welsh. Is this reviewer active on GMG? Just curious as the review goes into each piece in-depth.
I really haven't heard an organ transcription that I've liked. This one, like many others, is so heavy and pianistic. I know it's because the transcribers are all romantics.

milk

I think this album is more successful and listenable than his Bach. I think he's not the first to mix Rameau with Debussy and so the trick is to make the periods flow into each other. He's largely successful. It's not a deep take on either but it's pleasant listening.

premont

Quote from: milk on May 22, 2020, 01:34:55 AM
I really haven't heard an organ transcription that I've liked. This one, like many others, is so heavy and pianistic. I know it's because the transcribers are all romantics.

Agree with this - almost. But Liszt's transcriptions of Bach's organ music are IMO very loyal to the original and worth listening to (provided the performer doesn't romanticize them).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I'd like to see an entire album of Sweelinck on piano. So far I've only heard bits and pieces, presented on various multi-composer albums. His music does seem to have a "singing" quality that makes it good for the piano.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

milk

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 19, 2020, 12:52:31 PM
I'd like to see an entire album of Sweelinck on piano. So far I've only heard bits and pieces, presented on various multi-composer albums. His music does seem to have a "singing" quality that makes it good for the piano.
pianists love Rameau and Scarlatti. Now there's a couple of L. Couperin recordings on the market. I think Froberger is a good candidate for an aspiring pianist also.

Mandryka

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 19, 2020, 12:52:31 PM

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 19, 2020, 07:45:02 PM

This is a kind of scam I think. This name is attached to thousands of recordings that I'm guessing are generated by a computer.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on October 19, 2020, 08:47:16 PM
This is a kind of scam I think. This name is attached to thousands of recordings that I'm guessing are generated by a computer.

What does it sound like?

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 19, 2020, 11:23:02 PM

What does it sound like?
I can't remember. It's been a long time but if you search that name on amazon you'll find hundreds or thousands of recordings. There are some old discussions about him floating around from some years back. Someone claimed to know he uses a digital keyboard or midi and speeds up and edits the music. Something like that. I don't think there's any record of him performing anywhere. I wish he, if he's an actual real individual, would spell out his method on the recordings so people know what they're buying.

vers la flamme

^If this guy's the real deal, he's an absolute legend for recording the entire solo piano repertoire and every symphony that's ever been transcribed for solo piano. Fake or not, who has time to put all this together?

According to his website, he plays on digital pianos:

http://www.mp3classicalmusic.net/

But I suppose knowing that much, it could just as well be MIDI.

Apparently, he is also a passionate cyclist. Edit: The plot thickens, even his cycling videos are computer generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e24dU8zJB9w&ab_channel=ClaudioColombo

:laugh:

Last edit: Here are some videos of him playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o94TsPhelOc&ab_channel=ClaudioColombo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxpmuUNxmpE&ab_channel=ClaudioColombo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW9FycfAV-0&ab_channel=ClaudioColombo

amw

This ticks all the boxes of a vanity project: microlabel, big picture of the performer on the cover, cheap graphic design, lots of material recorded very quickly, etc. It does seem to be played on a real piano at least and is maybe interesting for that reason.

Que

No period instruments, but a historically informed dress code instead!  :D

amw

Quote from: Que on April 17, 2021, 04:02:15 PM
No period instruments, but a historically informed dress code instead!  :D
To be fair, the meantone tuning also appears to be historically accurate, at least judging from listening to it.

Mandryka

I just listened to gnr first and ninth capriccio, it somehow doesn't come to life,  it is languid.

But it could be me who hasn't come to life yet this morning. More coffee NOW!

milk

Quote from: amw on April 17, 2021, 03:38:42 PM

This ticks all the boxes of a vanity project: microlabel, big picture of the performer on the cover, cheap graphic design, lots of material recorded very quickly, etc. It does seem to be played on a real piano at least and is maybe interesting for that reason.
I'm listening a bit and I think there's some interesting playing here. Anyway, it's not like there's anything much to compare it to except one other dude who has a Frescobaldi recording on piano. Schlime is his name. Mandryka threw him my way. It'll be interesting to compare. It's weird sounding music on piano in that It sounds a bit like jazz.

Florestan

Quote from: milk on April 19, 2021, 06:45:40 AM
one other dude who has a Frescobaldi recording on piano. Schlime is his name. Mandryka threw him my way. It'll be interesting to compare. It's weird sounding music on piano in that It sounds a bit like jazz.

Hah!

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2376.msg1094880.html#msg1094880

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: amw on April 17, 2021, 03:38:42 PM

I'm in the market for this series.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on April 19, 2021, 07:24:29 AM
You know what it reminds me of? I'll tell you. Glen Gould playing Byrd. Without Gould's charisma, so it doesn't grab me.

I think it's perfect background music while reading or sipping a drink.  :)