Barbara Strozzi

Started by aligreto, March 25, 2021, 04:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Does anyone listen to the music of Barbara Strozzi? I cannot find a thread dedicated to her. I want to rectify that as I believe that she deserves one.

From the little that I know of her she was a very interesting person. She was also a very talented composer and has written some wonderful works. She published eight volumes of vocal music in Venice between 1644 and 1664. She did this, apparently, without the support of the Church or without a wealthy patron. She was a professional composer, even before WA Mozart. That was not a bad achievement for a female in the mid seventeenth century. There is a very good selection of videos to be seen and heard on YouTube if you are not familiar with Strozzi's music.

The presence of this composer's music in my collection is limited to just two CDs at the moment.

aligreto

Ariette a voce sola OP. 6 [Miroku/Rambaldi]

This CD contains a series of profane Arias by Strozzi performed by the countertenor Tadashi Miroku [a clear, bright and unfaltering voice] accompanied on harpsichord by Silvia Rambaldi [with sensitive accompaniment] both with exemplary execution. In case you have a concern, Miroku's voice sounds suitably female to make this performance credible in the context of this music. The music is very engaging and progressive for the time, I think. Both artists perform admirably and the recording is spacious and detailed. 

aligreto

Cantates [Nelson/Christie/Coin/Hutchinson]

The music on this CD is delightful and beautifully sung by Nelson. Nelson has a strong but delicate and tonally balanced voice that floats on the air in the higher registers. It is a collection of profane Cantatas from various collections by Strozzi; Opp. 2, 3, 6, 7 & 8, so the included music spans the larger range of her compositional life.  An added bonus on this CD is that William Christie plays the harpsichord and that Christophe Coin plays the cello, along with John Hutchinson who ably holds his own on the harp. The textures and tones of this presentation differ a lot from the one above due to the nature of the voice and the enhanced continuo section here.

aligreto

It sounds somewhat trite to say that this music was obviously written for voice. The melodic lines flow easily and in a "singing", lyrical way. However, these works have a complexity that can belie their simple listening pleasure. Listen to some of the phrasing, as an example, and you can understand that Strozzi obviously, being apparently a renowned vocalist herself, knew what she was doing and pulled it off effortlessly as a composer. She never draws attention to the technicalities of the music.

I am considering this CD as my next purchase

but I would be interested in any recommendations that come along. I would be particularly interested in any recommendations for Strozzi's Op. 5 which is apparently her sole venture into sacred music.

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on March 25, 2021, 04:13:15 AM
Cantates [Nelson/Christie/Coin/Hutchinson]

The music on this CD is delightful and beautifully sung by Nelson. Nelson has a strong but delicate and tonally balanced voice that floats on the air in the higher registers. It is a collection of profane Cantatas from various collections by Strozzi; Opp. 2, 3, 6, 7 & 8, so the included music spans the larger range of her compositional life.  An added bonus on this CD is that William Christie plays the harpsichord and that Christophe Coin plays the cello, along with John Hutchinson who ably holds his own on the harp. The textures and tones of this presentation differ a lot from the one above due to the nature of the voice and the enhanced continuo section here.

I also have this very pleasant disc, althou it has been years since the last time I listened to it.  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on March 25, 2021, 04:44:28 AM
I also have this very pleasant disc, althou it has been years since the last time I listened to it.  :P

I am pleased that you have fond memories of listening to it. Give it another listen soon perhaps.

71 dB

Quote from: aligreto on March 25, 2021, 11:13:41 AM
I am pleased that you have fond memories of listening to it. Give it another listen soon perhaps.

I hardly buy classical music these days and instead I revisit my collection for stuff I haven't listened to for a while. Someday it is Strozzi's turn.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"