Author Topic: Deleting threads doesn't make me any less angry...  (Read 463 times)

Offline dissily Mordentroge

Re: Deleting threads doesn't make me any less angry...
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »
I was/am also a moderator at another forum and I cannot understand why you don't understand such decisions, Madiel.
It is usually impossible to find a solution that doesn't offend anyone, so if you managed this at this other forum, more power to you.
But moderators are not professionals and it is perfectly fine to limit the time and energy put into moderating, not the least because some people are simply stubborn or cantankerous and would take way too much time if one had to moderate them closely. It's not their task to "solve" things, merely to keep the forum manageable. So such decisions are not perfect, but often there is no better (or sometimes no viable) alternative. Especially if something concerns topics that are both beyond the core of the forum and highly controversial, it seems perfectly o.k. not to try to carefully tend a hornet's net.
All of this blather is beside the central point. If a thread is totally removed very little is gained by no explanation being given. How are posters to figure out which one of the forum rules was broken and how are we to avoid doing so in future? Merely suggesting we read the rules again does not point to which one or how many were broken in a deleted thread. OK, I know moderators undertake an often difficult and thankless task but I’m trying to suggest simply removing a thread without explanation does next to nothing to prevent similar offences against the rules cropping up again.
The Human Race is Insane