What was the wierdest reaction you got from watching a movie in cinema

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, November 28, 2019, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Okay, once I went to see Mel Gibson the passion of Christ. Because some of my friends insisted.

It was very graphic violence, I called the movie the pummeling of Christ... afterward...

So let's start this, here what happened, I received kicks all the time of the movie and I wonder why eventually I was tired and said common quite it man, the poor folks behind me was having serious seizures and old pious Italian from what I presume was passing out in seizures & quite possibly a hardcore heart attack, I was like oh no can someone call an ambulance, Mel Gibson that so uncool, I mean poor old geezer, the movie almost kill him, f(word)!!!

Did you ever seen this movie and seen people having a serious seizure and pass out cold or other movies?

AlberichUndHagen

Not exactly in cinema but one of the weirdest reactions I got from watching a movie in general was when I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time. I laughed all the way to the end.

steve ridgway

Pink Flamingos (uncensored version). I kept alternating between laughing and feeling I was about to throw up :o.

dissily Mordentroge

In my confused pre-teen years watching Sophia Lorren in 'Boy on a Dolphin' I decided I wanted to be her.

Biffo

Not really a 'weird' reaction but Antonioni's Blowup has stuck in my memory for decades as the most boring film I have ever seen. I know it is supposed to be a masterpiece, cult film etc but it did nothing for me. I am sure I have seen numerous boring, tedious and pretentious films since then but none have stuck in my memory - mostly they have been forgotten.

Mirror Image

I remain horrified by what Disney has done to the Star Wars franchise. I thought The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars film I've ever seen. At first, I was kind of shocked by it (I saw it in the theater) and when I revisited it after it came out on blu-ray/DVD, I almost became nauseated by the lack of a narrative, the emptiness of the plot, and the general lack of empathy I felt for all of the characters didn't help either. The only interesting character to come out of this newer Star Wars universe was Kylo Ren, but everything J.J. Abrams had set up in The Force Awakens (aka A New Hope, Part II) was destroyed by Rian Johnson. I never felt this way about any Star Wars film until I saw The Last Jedi.

Iota

Sometime in the early 80's a friend and I ended up in a Portobello Road cinema at about 1am in the morning and saw the Night of the Living Dead (the 1968 Romero original) from which I emerged a petrified wreck. It was quite weird as I remained virtually traumatised night and day for at least a couple of days, it was doubly weird as I was pretty fearless about almost everything back then, and it came as a big shock.
Since then I've never watched a horror film except when I feel I really have to (e.g The Shining) as it seems an exercise in pointless masochism.

(A small coincidence - I haven't told this story or thought about it for many years, but was telling it to a woman last week I'd just met, who I'd told that I avoid horror movies, and who then informed me she was a director of horror movies! We're still good friends though.  :laugh: )

SimonNZ

Quote from: Biffo on December 01, 2019, 07:21:11 AM
Not really a 'weird' reaction but Antonioni's Blowup has stuck in my memory for decades as the most boring film I have ever seen. I know it is supposed to be a masterpiece, cult film etc but it did nothing for me. I am sure I have seen numerous boring, tedious and pretentious films since then but none have stuck in my memory - mostly they have been forgotten.

You better not try watching his L'Aventura, then.

Blowup is actually one of my favorite films and I was talking to a friend just a couple of days ago about introducing him to it.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dissily Mordentroge on November 29, 2019, 01:40:08 PM
In my confused pre-teen years watching Sophia Lorren in 'Boy on a Dolphin' I decided I wanted to be her.

I had a different response to the film: I simply wanted her ;)  I saw this on television in the mid-60s. Her coming out of the water, onto the boat, wet blouse clinging to her, was my first glimpse of a nude woman (although technically she wasn't nude).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 01, 2019, 12:54:34 PM
Blowup is actually one of my favorite films

One of mine too. Saw Blowup at Ohio U in 1967 and was blown away by it. Years later I learned the main character was loosely based on one of my favorite photographers, David Bailey, which only added to its appeal.

Sarge

Biffo

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 01, 2019, 12:54:34 PM
You better not try watching his L'Aventura, then.

Blowup is actually one of my favorite films and I was talking to a friend just a couple of days ago about introducing him to it.

OK, I promise I won't.

greg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 01, 2019, 01:39:58 PM
I had a different response to the film: I simply wanted her ;)  I saw this on television in the mid-60s. Her coming out of the water, onto the boat, wet blouse clinging to her, was my first glimpse of a nude woman (although technically she wasn't nude).

Sarge
Googled.
A color image of her young, with long hair would have been nice. But seems there aren't any.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

vandermolen

My father told me that he was once at the cinema sitting at the end of a row with his legs crossed. In those days they played the National Anthem before the film. My father stood up but, as his legs had been crossed, one of his legs was 'dead'. He then fell over and rolled down the stairs during the playing of the National Anthem, showing great disrespect to his/her Majesty.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

JBS

Quote from: Biffo on December 01, 2019, 07:21:11 AM

I may have told this before.

As a 14 year old, part of a group of teenagers touring Israel during the summer of 1973, I saw Last Tango in Paris.  It was the only option for entertaining ourselves on a Saturday night in Jerusalem.  It being in Israel, we had to deal with a tangle of subtitles: English dialogue into French, French dialogue in English, all of it into Hebrew running under the English/French subtitles.  As a result, none of us could figure out what was going on, starting off with why Marlon Brando would at the beginning of the film shove the lead actress against the wall and rape her (I suppose. Or at least some very rough sex while remaining fully clothed.)  The only other scene I remember involved sex in a cable car hanging over some waterfall or other. 

result of the evening: a group of teenagers thoroughly bored by what was then the most talked about film of the year.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: JBS on December 02, 2019, 11:48:00 AM
The only other scene I remember involved sex in a cable car hanging over some waterfall or other. 

A cable car and waterfall scene, in a film set in Paris? I don't remember that at all  :o

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: greg on December 02, 2019, 08:59:58 AM
Googled.
A color image of her young, with long hair would have been nice. But seems there aren't any.

22 (her age when she filmed Boy on a Dolphin) isn't young enough for you?  :o

Sarge

greg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 02, 2019, 12:56:09 PM
22 (her age when she filmed Boy on a Dolphin) isn't young enough for you?  :o

Sarge
I see now, there's black and white and also color version. Just noticed the younger pictures if you google her name shows her in either black and white or her hair pulled up in that older style which looks dumb.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

JBS

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 02, 2019, 12:47:54 PM
A cable car and waterfall scene, in a film set in Paris? I don't remember that at all  :o

Sarge

I said none of us could figure out what was going on. :P

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk