Kryztof Harant sadely overlooked

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, December 03, 2019, 02:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Krystof Harant made wonderful masses if I recalled.

There are few recordings that focus on his music has far as I know, but it music fantastic, only heard one missa two version and a motets do, darn, there next to nothing made of him, he one great obscure composer?

Guys what do we have more from Krystof Harant?

He as his signature, his polyphony seem fancy to my ears?

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Que

I looked into the composer:

Harant's compositional legacy is not extensive. His surviving works include a manuscript score of a five-part mass, exemplifying the so-called parodic type of composition: as it were, it was modelled on then popular madrigal by Luca Marenzio, "Dolorosi martir, fieri tormenti". Another five-part piece by Harant, a motet on the German text "Maria Kron, die Engel schon", was published in 1604, alongside another 32 works by foremost masters of the Transalpine Renaissance, in a collection of Marian compositions titled "Rosetum Marianum". In 1598, while on the pilgrimage to Palestine, Harant composed a six-part motet "Qui confidunt in Domino" to the text of Psalm 125, "which then imposed itself upon my mind with particular urgency" (Krystof Harant, Pilgrimage). Several years later the composition was published as an appendix to the account of Harant's exciting voyage. Harant's output betrays a gifted and skillful composer, on a par with the renowned masters of high Renaissance music.

I have wishlisted this recording of his mass. :)

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000027LEH/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Q

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948