Book Recommendations and Recommendation Requests

Started by milk, December 03, 2019, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I couldn't find a similar thread and I'm not sure if this is something people might want to do. But, I thought I'd see what happens. So...

Here's my first one:
What is the most entertaining biography you've ever read?
Similarly, what's your favorite biography about an American public figure?

XB-70 Valkyrie

Miles muthaf*****n Davis' f****n autof****nbiography is pretty muthaf****n' enter-f****n-taining... so long as you don't mind the F word.

Glenn Gould's is as well (a biography actually, will look up the author), although I think it is completely devoid of F-bombs.

One outstanding book that is somewhat autobiographical is by the English writer Sara Maitland: A Book of Silence. This details her quest to experience all different types of silence and solitude and their psychoacoustic and spiritual effects, as well as their effects on creative work (e.g., writing). Her quest brings her to the English moors, the forest, the Sinai peninsula, and, best of all, the Scottish Isle of Skye.  As a fellow nature lover and seeker of silence, peace, and solitude, this is indeed one of my favorite books of all time.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

milk

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on December 03, 2019, 09:32:32 PM
Miles muthaf*****n Davis' f****n autof****nbiography is pretty muthaf****n' enter-f****n-taining... so long as you don't mind the F word.

Glenn Gould's is as well (a biography actually, will look up the author), although I think it is completely devoid of F-bombs.

One outstanding book that is somewhat autobiographical is by the English writer Sara Maitland: A Book of Silence. This details her quest to experience all different types of silence and solitude and their psychoacoustic and spiritual effects, as well as their effects on creative work (e.g., writing). Her quest brings her to the English moors, the forest, the Sinai peninsula, and, best of all, the Scottish Isle of Skye.  As a fellow nature lover and seeker of silence, peace, and solitude, this is indeed one of my favorite books of all time.
thanks for this. Huh. Miles Davis. Did you ever read Mingus's autobiography?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on December 03, 2019, 04:10:49 PM
I couldn't find a similar thread and I'm not sure if this is something people might want to do. But, I thought I'd see what happens. So...

Here's my first one:
What is the most entertaining biography you've ever read?

Jean Echenoz, Ravel.
Pierre Michon, Rimbaud le Fils.
Jean Teulé, Je , François Villon. (Crap, but entertaining crap if you like violence, sadism.)

Quote from: milk on December 03, 2019, 04:10:49 PM

Similarly, what's your favorite biography about an American public figure?

Pierre Bergounioux, B-17G. About an American fighter pilot in WW2, called Smith.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on December 04, 2019, 11:46:51 PM
Jean Echenoz, Ravel.
Pierre Michon, Rimbaud le Fils.
Jean Teulé, Je , François Villon. (Crap, but entertaining crap if you like violence, sadism.)

Pierre Bergounioux, B-17G. About an American fighter pilot in WW2, called Smith.
I'll check out these books!