Conductor Identification

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, December 04, 2019, 04:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

Does anyone know who this conductor is?

I know only this: The picture was taken between 1958 and 1964.

And he has conducted the Vienna Singverein -- and therefore most probably -- the Vienna Philharmonic.

All guesses (and dead-on identifications) much appreciated!

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 04, 2019, 05:00:28 AM
Looks a bit like him ?

https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/news-photo/conductor-and-member-of-the-vienna-philharmonic-orchestra-news-photo/503014573

A wee bit, but no match. Faltl has a much bigger head. Our mystery conductor... I don't want to get into the dastardly anti-science of physiognomy too much, but he looks Eastern or Southern Austrian "at his most Western". Maybe Hungarian. Then again, he might just as well be French, so what do I know. But those sad eyes!

When I put his image in at Getty Images search, I get this, as the no.2 result:

https://www.gettyimages.fi/detail/photo/beautiful-woman-with-stylish-hairstyle-royalty-free-image/486949044

In a way, it puts my mind at ease as regards the ease (or lack thereof) that computers still have, with facial reckognition.

Biffo

The Wiener Singverein isn't very helpful. It gives a long list of all its past conductors but you have to click on each one to find dates and then search elsewhere for an image. I gave up after checking a few likely suspects.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Biffo on December 04, 2019, 05:10:25 AM
The Wiener Singverein isn't very helpful. It gives a long list of all its past conductors but you have to click on each one to find dates and then search elsewhere for an image. I gave up after checking a few likely suspects.

Yes, they are not helpful yet... they're in the process of digitizing their archive. It's for them that I ask.  ;D

I also don't think he's on their list. I just went through it all... and didn't find a match.

Papy Oli

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 04, 2019, 05:06:57 AM
A wee bit, but no match. Faltl has a much bigger head. Our mystery conductor... I don't want to get into the dastardly anti-science of physiognomy too much, but he looks Eastern or Southern Austrian "at his most Western". Maybe Hungarian. Then again, he might just as well be French, so what do I know. But those sad eyes!

Reverse image search only gave me "gentleman" as a result... I prefer yours   ;D

i found the close getty pic by searching vienna conductors 1960...but no other luck beyond this one.
Olivier

Brian

I don't know the answer but I'm fascinated by this thread!

SurprisedByBeauty

There's a hint of Barbirolli in this guy... but not enough.

He looks not tall, curiously enough.

Florestan

Where did you get the picture?

Must be a guy born around 1900.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2019, 06:03:58 AM
Where did you get the picture?

The picture is from the Archives of the Singverein.

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 04, 2019, 06:05:33 AM
The picture is from the Archives of the Singverein.

A single photo of a guy in the Archives of the Singverein, without any reference whatsoever. Looks like a mystery novel.  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2019, 06:09:38 AM

A single photo of a guy in the Archives of the Singverein, without any reference whatsoever. Looks like a mystery novel.  :D

Well, we have the years. And he may have conducted the Singverein -- I'd have assumed so, until I couldn't find this conductor amid my search of those conductors listed on their website. (I might have failed to check one or two, of course... it he may not have been listed.) But yes, apparently there aren't any other references. He's holding a baton, though... that suggests legitimacy, at least. :-)

Florestan

Like we Romanians say, this is like searching a needle in a cart full of hay.  :D

SurprisedByBeauty

A bit like Schmidt-Isserstedt, too, methinks.

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2019, 06:19:25 AM
Like we Romanians say, this is like searching a needle in a cart full of hay.  :D

International: Needle in the haystack. Nadel im Heuhaufen. Maybe even the French have something like "Autant chercher une aiguille dans une botte de foin". Doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, though.

pjme

He looks a little bit like (old) Miklos Rozsa or Josef Vlach

Vlach

Rozsa

maybe Czech, Romanian...?

SurprisedByBeauty

The first person I thought of, and I don't know why, was Paumgartner.

And the pix I saw didn't look like that person on the photo in question. But here he sortof does.

ritter

Ras

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2019, 06:03:58 AM

This guy fits age-wise, but it doesn't really look like the conductor on the photograph - if it is him he is much younger and slimmer  on the picture in the link:

https://www.discogs.com/fr/artist/470027-Ferdinand-Grossmann

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on December 04, 2019, 06:23:17 AM
Rozsa

Miklos Rozsa might be a good guess. At least the eyebrows fits.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 04, 2019, 06:27:32 AM
Berislav Klobucar?

He was 40 in 1964. The mystery guy looks much older.