Conductor Identification

Started by SurprisedByBeauty, December 04, 2019, 04:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 04, 2019, 06:31:01 AM
He was 40 in 1964. The mystery guy looks much older.
Too much partying?  ;D

SurprisedByBeauty

Moralt is a new idea.

He looked much younger only a few years prior to his death and the picture above...

but then the premature death may well have had the same cause as premature aging? The eyes/lips/mouth part looks quite a bit like him.

pjme

Moralt : unlikely. The eyes are very different.

It is very intriguing. I hope some info pops up at the Singverein....

Brian

Moralt has a different hairline although other photos of him do show a more centered, rounded hairstyle.

SurprisedByBeauty

The mystery is solved!

It is an old Reinhold Schmid.

I surmised that he might be a possibility... since it was the only conductor of the Singverein in those relevant years, whom I could not rule out or get a good picture of.

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 05, 2019, 04:13:20 AM
The mystery is solved!

I surmised that he might be a possibility... since it was the only conductor of the Singverein in those relevant years, whom I could not rule out or get a good picture of.

There's no picture of him on Google. Go figure!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

premont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 05, 2019, 04:13:20 AM
The mystery is solved!

How can you know for sure, if you don't have another picture of him?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 05, 2019, 09:37:38 AM
How can you know for sure, if you don't have another picture of him?

They probably turned the photo on the other side and lo and behold! his autograph was there.  ;D

Seriously now, good question.

André

Schmid conducted the Musikverein choristers in some Karajan high profile projects on DGG in the sixties, like the Mozart and Brahms requiems, the Haydn Creation, Beethoven Missa Solemnis and probably others. I see his name listed in each of these recordings in the Karajan Sacred & Choral Recordings booklet. No picture of him though, it's a Karajan only gallery. I imagine Jens had access to additional material from these sessions ?

SurprisedByBeauty

One of the oldtimers of the Singverein recognized him, when my father-in-law (who on the board of the SV and on who's behalf I was trying to figure this out) showed the picture further around. It's just that all the photos on the net depict him as a youngster.

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 05, 2019, 11:24:15 PM
all the photos on the net depict him as a youngster.

Where are those photos? I couldn't find any.

SurprisedByBeauty

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 05, 2019, 11:34:21 PM
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bildarchivaustria.at/Bildarchiv//BA/902/B10002737T10002742.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.musiklexikon.ac.at/ml/musik_S/Schmid_Reinhold.xml&tbnid=lXyf8iOJUFZ4UM&vet=1&docid=DVtAk7ArcRmN-M&w=279&h=384&q=reinhold+schmid+chordirektor&source=sh/x/im

It's a photo associated with an encyclopedic entry of his - but when you go to the site, it's not making use of it.

Do you see even a remotely vague or vaguely remote resemblance between this guy and the one in the OP? I don't. 

I mean, look at their noses. They couldn't be more different. I agree that ageing modifies the face, but to turn a long, pointed nose into a short, thick one is impossible even for Mr. Time itself.

premont

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2019, 01:19:17 AM
Do you see even a remotely vague or vaguely remote resemblance between this guy and the one in the OP? I don't. 

I mean, look at their noses. They couldn't be more different. I agree that ageing modifies the face, but to turn a long, pointed nose into a short, thick one is impossible even for Mr. Time itself.

His nose may have been broken at some point.

There are at least some similarities - first and foremost the shape and the relatively low position of the ears but also the eyes and their surroundings.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 06, 2019, 02:25:34 AM
His nose may have been broken at some point.

There are at least some similarities - first and foremost the shape and the relatively low position of the ears but also the eyes and their surroundings.

I'll grant you the ears but I'm unconvinced by the eyes.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2019, 02:31:29 AM
I'll grant you the ears but I'm unconvinced by the eyes.

Well, he's been positively identified. It's no longer a guessing-game.

It's now a game of: Funny, how people can look different, given different lighting, situations, angles, and 40 years having passed in between takes.

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 06, 2019, 04:36:12 AM
Well, he's been positively identified. It's no longer a guessing-game.

It's now a game of: Funny, how people can look different, given different lighting, situations, angles, and 40 years having passed in between takes.

True. I must confess that for me the transformation is shocking. I wouldn't have guessed they are one and the same person.

JBS

The eyebrows are exactly the same.
To me, the nose looks the same once you take into account that the photos were taken at different angles and different distances from the subject.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk