Author Topic: Top 10 conductors that YOU like the most  (Read 6905 times)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Re: Top 10 conductors that YOU like the most
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:26 PM »
My thoughts exactly, and the last statement even more so. I would never be a fan of, say, Furtwängler, Böhm or Knappertsbusch, who conducted almost exclusively Austro-German repertoire.
OK, but some body has to do that, and to do it well. It's not like that repertoire is uninteresting.

DavidW

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2021, 03:08:31 AM »
Back in the day I had favorites but I don't anymore.  I have favorites specific to certain eras and genres but I don't have anyone that I would like uniformly no matter what they played.  For example, I love Herreweghe's Bach, I could not imagine him in say Ligeti.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2021, 04:45:04 AM »
Back in the day I had favorites but I don't anymore.  I have favorites specific to certain eras and genres but I don't have anyone that I would like uniformly no matter what they played.  For example, I love Herreweghe's Bach, I could not imagine him in say Ligeti.
Who would have imagined Harnoncourt conducting Porgy and Bess? And yet, he recorded the piece... ;D

But I absolutely get your point, DavidW, and share it to a certain degree. Still, there are some conductors who, for those interested in specific areas of the repertoire, are essential.  For instance, I could not imagine the development of (most of, but of course not all) my musical tastes without the influence of Pierre Boulez (in his facet as conductor). Some people could have a similar feeling concerning, e.g. William Christie (for French Baroque), and there'd be many more examples, I venture to say.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:30:46 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2021, 05:25:48 AM »
And I forgot to mention Chailly which obviously is a favorite. A lot of great recordings, and not only of wellknown stuff.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2021, 06:57:00 AM »
Today's list:

Groves
Boult
Barbirolli
Berglund
Previn
Thomson
Kondrashin
Slatkin (underrated IMO)
Furtwangler
Bernstein or Haitink
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2021, 07:05:27 AM »
I don't have enough vast experience and knowledge to pick ten favourite conductors.

If I could only pick one, it would likely be Kertész.

Some notable mentions:

Jochum
N. Jarvi
Zinman
V. Petrenko
Wit
Dorati
Maazel
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:28:31 AM by OrchestralNut »

DavidW

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
Who would have imagined Harnoncourt conducting Porgy and Bess? And yet, he recorded the piece... ;D

But I absolutely get your point, DavidW, and share it to a certain degree. Still, there are some conductors who, for those interested in specific areas of the repertoire, are essential.  For instance, I could not imagine the development of (most of, but of course not all) my musical tastes without the influence of Pierre Boulez (in his facet as conductor). Some people could have a similar feeling concerning, e.g. William Christie (for French Baroque), and there'd be many more examples, I venture to say.

William Christie is one of my favorite conductors for Handel as well (the oratorios and operas).

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
Today's list:

Slatkin (underrated IMO)

Very much agree! Slatkin and St. Louis were a prolific duo and just about everything they released was reliable. And I just went through his Rachmaninoff records with Detroit SO and they are very good. 

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
My King...

I'll have to really think about the other 9, it's not easy, but Harnoncourt is the one conductor that I consistently look for recordings from, even if they are duds he never fails to offer something unique to his performances. Same goes for Boulez and Bernstein. Ok that's three conductors, I'll think about the other 7.

Ok here's my list for now, until I read some other's lists in this thread and change my mind...

Harnoncourt
Boulez
Bernstein
Rene Jacobs
Thomas Fey (even just for his Haydn)
Kurt Sanderling
Barbirolli