Author Topic: Top 10 conductors that YOU like the most  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Top 10 conductors that YOU like the most
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »
Afterword about the Ks. I thought of the first 8 on my list very easily but was scratching around when I chose Kajanus and Kamu. I can't think how I missed Keilberth - as well as owning his Bayreuth Ring Cycle I have known and loved his Freischutz for decades and also have a few of his Beethoven Symphonies. It is a toss-up between Kamu and Konwitschny as both are only represented by a single composer in my collection, Sibelius and Beethoven respectively.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 09:14:37 AM »
Afterword about the Ks. I thought of the first 8 on my list very easily but was scratching around when I chose Kajanus and Kamu. I can't think how I missed Keilberth - as well as owning his Bayreuth Ring Cycle I have known and loved his Freischutz for decades and also have a few of his Beethoven Symphonies. It is a toss-up between Kamu and Konwitschny as both are only represented by a single composer in my collection, Sibelius and Beethoven respectively.

I cannot recommend that set highly enough:

On top of a first rate Eroica, it has smashing versions of Bruckner (5 and 7) and Shostakovich (10 and 11) and the best Flying Dutchman I know. All of those are in vey good stereo sound. The performance of the Bruckner 2 is a classic, but is in mono.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2019, 01:04:57 PM »
Karajan is unfashionable with some because he is still the big name with most people who don’t know a lot of classical music. The rejection of Karajan is a tribute to Karajan, or at least to his dominance and marketing.
Well, Karajan is unfashionable also because of his ideas about orchestral balance and his transformation of the BPO into a well-oiled Karajan Machine during the 70s-80s. As he aged, he became decidedly weird in addition to being famous.

Ormandy wasn't especially weird.

I agree with Daverz that an Ormandy big box would be fun - but it would probably also be gigantic.

Offline ChopinBroccoli

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »
Well, Karajan is unfashionable also because of his ideas about orchestral balance and his transformation of the BPO into a well-oiled Karajan Machine during the 70s-80s. As he aged, he became decidedly weird in addition to being famous.

Ormandy wasn't especially weird.

I agree with Daverz that an Ormandy big box would be fun - but it would probably also be gigantic.

This^

Karajan has a handful of records I liked enough to buy but my reasons for not especially enjoying his work are entirely musical... I’m not bothered by the jet-set image or ubiquitous market presence

I, too would welcome a proper Ormandy box a la Szell
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 06:48:15 PM »
My original K's were

Kertesz
Kubelik
Kondrashin
Karajan
Klemperer

To those I'd add

Kempe
Kletzki
Konwitschny
Kegel
Kitajenko
Kirill Karabits
Carlos Kleiber
Krips

The inclusion of Karabits suggests another interesting topic: favorite conductors under 50 years of age. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:55:33 PM by Daverz »

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »
My original K's were

Kertesz
Kubelik
Kondrashin
Karajan
Klemperer

To those I'd add

Kempe
Kletzki
Konwitschny
Kegel
Kitajenko
Kirill Karabits
Carlos Kleiber
Krips

The inclusion of Karabits suggests another interesting topic: favorite conductors under 50 years of age.

The perils of rushing into making a post - I had completely forgotten Erich Kleiber, my favourite Beethovenian.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
I think it was a combination of being over-recorded back in the day, which probably gave an impression of a middle-brow conductor, and not having a strong reputation in the core Germanic rep, e.g. Beethoven and Brahms, though I don't think he embarrassed himself there.  He even made some decent Bruckner recordings.  I'm hoping for a big remastered box from Sony that will include his un-released mono recordings (Sibelius, Prokofiev, Piston, William Schuman, etc).
In that sense was Ormandy a bit like an American Bryden Thomson (a conductor I consider very underrated, especially in Bax and Vaughan Williams)? As for Ormandy I grew up with my brother's LP of Shostakovich's 10th Symphony which I've always liked and his LP of Shostakovich's 4th Symphony was my introduction to this magnificent work. His Copland 'Lincoln Portrait' (with Adlai Stevenson) is my favourite version by far. I recall an impressive 'Planets Suite' and a fabulous Albany CD including William Schuman's great 6th Symphony and Roy Harris's 7th Symphony. I'm not so keen on his Sibelius recordings but still enjoy the recent boxed set of them and intend to listen to them again soon. Oh yes, his LP of Ives's 'Three Places in New England' (coupled with the Copland's Lincoln Portrait) gave me great pleasure when I regularly borrowed it from the local music library in the 1970s (great cover image):

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:24:01 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).