Top 10 conductors that YOU like the most

Started by rmihai, December 08, 2019, 05:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 20, 2021, 05:35:31 PM
My thoughts exactly, and the last statement even more so. I would never be a fan of, say, Furtwängler, Böhm or Knappertsbusch, who conducted almost exclusively Austro-German repertoire.
OK, but some body has to do that, and to do it well. It's not like that repertoire is uninteresting.

DavidW

Back in the day I had favorites but I don't anymore.  I have favorites specific to certain eras and genres but I don't have anyone that I would like uniformly no matter what they played.  For example, I love Herreweghe's Bach, I could not imagine him in say Ligeti.

ritter

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2021, 04:08:31 AM
Back in the day I had favorites but I don't anymore.  I have favorites specific to certain eras and genres but I don't have anyone that I would like uniformly no matter what they played.  For example, I love Herreweghe's Bach, I could not imagine him in say Ligeti.
Who would have imagined Harnoncourt conducting Porgy and Bess? And yet, he recorded the piece... ;D

But I absolutely get your point, DavidW, and share it to a certain degree. Still, there are some conductors who, for those interested in specific areas of the repertoire, are essential.  For instance, I could not imagine the development of (most of, but of course not all) my musical tastes without the influence of Pierre Boulez (in his facet as conductor). Some people could have a similar feeling concerning, e.g. William Christie (for French Baroque), and there'd be many more examples, I venture to say.

The new erato

And I forgot to mention Chailly which obviously is a favorite. A lot of great recordings, and not only of wellknown stuff.

vandermolen

Today's list:

Groves
Boult
Barbirolli
Berglund
Previn
Thomson
Kondrashin
Slatkin (underrated IMO)
Furtwangler
Bernstein or Haitink
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

I don't have enough vast experience and knowledge to pick ten favourite conductors.

If I could only pick one, it would likely be Kertész.

Some notable mentions:

Jochum
N. Jarvi
Zinman
V. Petrenko
Wit
Dorati
Maazel

DavidW

Quote from: ritter on September 22, 2021, 05:45:04 AM
Who would have imagined Harnoncourt conducting Porgy and Bess? And yet, he recorded the piece... ;D

But I absolutely get your point, DavidW, and share it to a certain degree. Still, there are some conductors who, for those interested in specific areas of the repertoire, are essential.  For instance, I could not imagine the development of (most of, but of course not all) my musical tastes without the influence of Pierre Boulez (in his facet as conductor). Some people could have a similar feeling concerning, e.g. William Christie (for French Baroque), and there'd be many more examples, I venture to say.

William Christie is one of my favorite conductors for Handel as well (the oratorios and operas).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2021, 07:57:00 AM
Today's list:

Slatkin (underrated IMO)

Very much agree! Slatkin and St. Louis were a prolific duo and just about everything they released was reliable. And I just went through his Rachmaninoff records with Detroit SO and they are very good. 

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 21, 2021, 06:42:55 PM
My King...

I'll have to really think about the other 9, it's not easy, but Harnoncourt is the one conductor that I consistently look for recordings from, even if they are duds he never fails to offer something unique to his performances. Same goes for Boulez and Bernstein. Ok that's three conductors, I'll think about the other 7.

Ok here's my list for now, until I read some other's lists in this thread and change my mind...

Harnoncourt
Boulez
Bernstein
Rene Jacobs
Thomas Fey (even just for his Haydn)
Kurt Sanderling
Barbirolli

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2019, 06:34:11 AM
In no particular order:

Pierre Boulez
Leonard Bernstein
Jean Martinon
Charles Mackerras
Gennady Rozhdestvensky
Claudio Abbado
Herbert von Karajan
Michael Tilson Thomas
Simon Rattle
Bernard Haitink

Some changes (in no particular order):

Leonard Bernstein
Bernard Haitink
Evgeny Svetlanov
Herbert von Karajan
Pierre Boulez
Igor Markevitch
Riccardo Chailly
Paavo Berglund
Jiří Bělohlávek
Sir John Barbirolli

david johnson

any order-

Giulini
Slatkin
Ansermet
Ormandy
HvK
Reiner
Klemperer
Kubelik
Solti
Stokowsky

vers la flamme

Some that I'm a fan of, no particular order:

Otto Klemperer
Herbert von Karajan
George Szell
Leonard Bernstein
Pierre Boulez
Herbert Blomstedt
Neeme Järvi
Georg Solti
Bruno Walter
Bernard Haitink

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jochum
Bohm
Dorati
Ancerl
Markevitch
Ormandy
Szell
Bernstein
Haitink
Kondrashin

Plus, Gauk, Golovanov, etc.

foxandpeng

Probably, for now. No order. Because of their material that I've been enjoying recently...

Kondrashin
Petrenko
Lloyd Jones
Lindberg
Vanska
Jarvi
Storgårds
Kitayenko
Handley
Gergiev
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Lisztianwagner

Let's see:

Karajan
C. Kleiber
Bernstein
Jansons
Solti
Abbado
Boulez
Chailly
Rattle
Haitink
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

LKB

I don't recall seeing this thread before, so hopefully l'm not inadvertently reposting.

In no particular order:

Herbert von Karajan
George Szell
Leonard Bernstein
Neville Marinner
Bernard Haitink
Adrian Boult
John Barbirolli
Fritz Reiner
Andre Previn
Carlos Kleiber
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 21, 2021, 06:42:55 PM
My King...

I'll have to really think about the other 9, it's not easy, but Harnoncourt is the one conductor that I consistently look for recordings from, even if they are duds he never fails to offer something unique to his performances. Same goes for Boulez and Bernstein. Ok that's three conductors, I'll think about the other 7.

Same here! :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

That is actually a picture of Harry when his favorite Bach organist is criticized! 8)

André

Böhm
Haitink
Harnoncourt (in pre-1800 fare only)
Klemperer
Mrawinsky
Ormandy
Suitner
Szell
Toscanini
Walter

vandermolen

Another go:

Previn
Boult
Mackerras Ansermet  ::)
Leppard Sargent  ::)
Kajanus
Koussevitzky
Thomson
Kondrashin
Furtwangler
Wand
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).