Best of 2019 SHORT list (with apologies to Mandryka)

Started by aukhawk, December 11, 2019, 03:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

Not too soon for a best of 2019 surely.  I'm proposing a somewhat shorter list than Mandryka, but I'll follow his posts with great interest too of course.  I'm going to limit myself to 6 (out of a shortlist of about 20).  You can respond with as many or as few as you want.  December 2018 is OK too.

It's been a very good year for JS Bach, which outstanding issues From Faust (Violin Concertos/reconstructions/transcriptions), Debretzeni (likewise), Alessandrini (Orchestral Suites), Olafsson (piano lollipops), Esfahani (harpsichord Toccatas), Brinkmann (Cello Suites), Valli (likewise), Podger (likewise but on violin), Zehetmair (Violin S&P) and no doubt some others.  To represent these I'm choosing:

Bach, Violin Concertos/reconstructions : Debretzini

Bach, assorted keypoard music : Olafsson (Piano)

To these I'll add:

Vaughan Williams, Sinfonia Antartica & Symphony No.9 : Manze

This is the first time I've really been able to relate to the 9th - and the Antartica is a good one too. 

Bruckner, Symphony No.9 : Honeck

I'm not much of a Brucknerian, but this is right up my street.
Honourable mention too for Gergiev's recent recording of the 2nd.

Haydn, Six assorted String Quartets : Quatuor Hanson

Op 50-6, 76-2, 54-2, 33-5, 20-5, 77-2. A good programme immaculately played though without being the last word in HIPery, and beautifully recorded.

Carbonelli, 6 Sonate da camera 7-12 : Cicic

[edit] changed my last choice to this - forgot this 2nd volume came out this year - joyous stuff.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Daverz

In addition to the Bruckner 9 and Brian discs already mentioned:

[asin]B07VGTXHFV[/asin]
I think this is now the definitive Symphony in F.

[asin]B07LDCZ4DW[/asin]
[asin]B07TNVWVVJ[/asin]
[asin]B07YTCDZCX[/asin]
One of the best recordings of the Concerto for Orchestra in years.  Fantastic sound.

[asin]B07MX27KLG[/asin]

[asin]B07WTKFGQC[/asin]
[asin]B07TPYXSDC[/asin]
[asin]B07KLFK8VX[/asin]
Volume 3 here stands in for the whole Rosner series on Toccata.

Reissues:

[asin]B07MWXGCWL[/asin]

I've only sampled from this on Qobuz, but the masterings I've heard seem very good to my ears.

[asin]B07NTXC6T9[/asin]  (24/192 download from prostudiomasters)

[asin]B07M6TL69W[/asin]

Even with the extensive redundancy for many Roussel collectors, still a bargain.

Ras

Jordi Savalls's recording of Mozart's last symphonies was album of the year for me.
[asin]B07PZX92NN[/asin]
- other good recordings:
Beethoven: 9th symphony - Suzuki on Bis
[asin]B07WFJ9ZZ8[/asin]

Bach Cello Suites on violin by Rachel Podger.
[asin]B07MHQ2VXX[/asin]

Bach Cello suites on cello by E. Bertrand.
[asin]B07T4RYMJ6[/asin]
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

amw

2019 acquisitions

Rinaldo

Quote from: amw on December 11, 2019, 12:38:09 PM

Love your choices, especially the Ratkje. I saw the PONG trio recently and they did a few of her pieces that were the highlights of the whole show.

ritter

Quote from: amw on December 11, 2019, 12:38:09 PM
2019 acquisitions

That is a fantastic CD, beautifully played by Pi-Hsien Chen, and the juxtaposed Beethoven and Stockhausen pieces make for a much more coherent program than one would initially expect.

San Antone

amw

JBS

The musical find of the year for me was the chansons and melodies of Berlioz, courtesy of Warner's Complete Berlioz set.

But I chose to pick two CDs of 21st century music which I think are worth everyone here listening to at least once. Not all of the music is of course equally good, and some of it might be worth only one listen. And different listeners will like different works, obviously.  But I think there is music on both CDs worth everyone's attention.

[asin]B07XLVMCWG[/asin]
[asin]B07Q7MGPQK[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

jess

San Antone

Quote from: JBS on December 11, 2019, 03:33:28 PM
[asin]B07Q7MGPQK[/asin]

This one is definitely worthy of mention. Truly a unique recording, of quality music.

Daverz

Ras

I somehow forgot my own personal discovery of the year:

The only music for choir/voice and orchestra by Brahms that I really know is the "German Requiem", but this one by Gijs Leenaars on Sony just blew me away - especially the last song on the album which is an arrangement for choir and orchestra of "Geistliches Lied"/"Sacred Song", opus 30.

[asin]B07NBDQX5H[/asin]

San Antone

Quote from: Ras on December 12, 2019, 03:59:16 AM
I somehow forgot my own personal discovery of the year:

The only music for choir/voice and orchestra by Brahms that I really know is the "German Requiem", but this one by Gijs Leenaars on Sony just blew me away - especially the last song on the album which is an arrangement for choir and orchestra of "Geistliches Lied"/"Sacred Song", opus 30.

[asin]B07NBDQX5H[/asin]

2019 was an active year for recordings of the German Requiem. Most new, but at least one re-issue in improved audio. Along with the one you posted, there's these five others:

Daverz

Quote from: San Antone on December 11, 2019, 01:50:34 PM

Listened to Sonata No. 1.   Very, very good.  Love her tone.  My usual favorite is Harold Wright and Harris Goldsmith.

XB-70 Valkyrie

-- Yves Nat set

-- Also, Paul Badura-Skoda playing Beethoven Op. 111 on a period instrument (French Harmonia Mundi LP I bought in Paris in June--sorry no photo)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

San Antone

I did not know where else to put this list which appeared on the NPR website, posted by Tom Huizenga.  I thought it was a cut above most of these kinds of lists since he highlighted new works by living composers along with a few new recordings of standard repertory by new-ish artists.

10 Classical Albums To Usher In The Next Decade

Ras

Federico Colli who have earned his name from Scarlatti recordings released Bach works on piano.
The slow movements here are just gorgeous.
He also plays Busoni's transcription of Bach's Chaconne for solo violin.

[asin]B07KBRZ7NJ[/asin]

I'm partial to Baroque music with trumpet, so this one was great for me - Alison Balsom playing Handel, Purcell and Bach:

[asin]B07Y9BWCLV[/asin]

Ras

Quote from: San Antone on December 12, 2019, 01:02:43 PM
2019 was an active year for recordings of the German Requiem. Most new, but at least one re-issue in improved audio. Along with the one you posted, there's these five others:

With all those new releases of Brahms' "German Requiem" I almost believe that Brahms and God are both still alive! :)